• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tao vs. Logos

Gambit

The Eastern concept of the Tao shares some striking parallels with the Western concept of the Logos.

The Tao can be defined as the working out of polar but complementary opposites known as "yin and yang." It is the process by which all things change. The Logos is the divine animating or rational principle that is latent in nature and finds its fullest expression in the Hegelian dialectic. The dialectic is the Hegelian process of change by which thought unfolds itself. It is typically described in terms of the thesis, antithesis, and synthesis.

Last edited:

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I guess the reason the comparison doesn't quite work for me symbolically is that Logos derives from the verb "to speak", and yet the Tao cannot be spoken. The rational principle is precisely that which can be made intelligible, reasonable, non-contradictory, where "contradiction" means literally what cannot be spoken. The logos is non-contradictory because it is that which is spoken. The Tao, to me, seems to symbolize that sort-of mystic apprehension of what cannot be spoken. They seem complementary to me rather than analogues. All of this just in my opinion, I could imagine other symbolic understandings

Baladas

An Págánach
Yes, there are definitely a lot of similarities. I for one think that they are one and the same...different understands of the same perceived reality. I prefer the Taoist view that it can not be truly understood in it's fullness intellectually, but rather, it can only be experienced.

The Tao is said to have "given birth to the ten thousand things", in other words, the Universe. All things are said to arise from Tao, and I do view it partly as the animating principle.

I also see well named's position, and agree that the Tao is said to not be able to be described. Anything we say about it only points to it, vaguely.

If this seems one-sided, it's because I am unfortunately not as acquainted with Stoicism as I would like to be. Perhaps @The Sum of Awe could shed more light here? He asks a lot of good questions, and has likely mulled over this one. :)

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
The Tao is said to have "given birth to the ten thousand things", in other words, the Universe. All things are said to arise from Tao, and I do view it partly as the animating principle.

From a more or less Christian view, i would maybe draw a comparison between this polarity of Logos and Spirit and the One and the Many, either in greek philosophy or in taoism. The ten thousand things don't disclose all there is to be experienced in the One, but neither are they separate from that One. The Spirit and Logos are not separate, but they are distinct. The "silent", unmanifested hiddenness of life or reality alongside that which is spoken, manifested, and intelligible.

Baladas

An Págánach
This is the reason I more or less equated the concept of Logos to that of Tao:

"This logos holds always but humans always prove unable to understand it, both before hearing it and when they have first heard it. For though all things come to be in accordance with this logos, humans are like the inexperienced when they experience such words and deeds as I set out, distinguishing each in accordance with its nature and saying how it is. But other people fail to notice what they do when awake, just as they forget what they do while asleep." - Heraclitus

Here, Heraclitus seems to be suggesting a Logos that is not fully understandable or describable...I admit my ignorance though. I will have to study up on this.
This will be fun. :)

allfoak

Alchemist
The Logos is the third force (balance) or mind of Mother/Father God.
This encompasses the two becoming one, the yin/yang, the balance being the Tao.
The gender concept is very much part of the yin/yang understanding.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Eh... It's a sense of self through self observation and awareness. Think before you speak and slow down.

No one will be insulted at first, if there isn't an immediate response.

Why would a Norseman trust a shroomed out Shaman over a drunkard?

They wouldn't.

What farce that television show is.