• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking Notes In Class

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I recently heard some radio show about how taking class notes on paper
yields better results than the digital alternative. It makes sense, since the
paper based process is slower, requiring more interpretation to record.

Ref....
Attention, Students: Put Your Laptops Away

But I always hated taking notes. It's hectic & it interferes with paying attention,
especially when the instructor gets ahead of what's being written. And why do it?
The instructor knows in advance what the material is, so it should be provided
in written form. If a lecture is worth attending, it should be easy to listen to & absorb.

I found better ways...
1) For a kinematics course, the prof wrote the material on transparencies projected
overhead. I took no notes, & just listened in class. But afterward, the prof let me
Xerox his transparencies. Btw, the class had no textbook.
Lo! I had notes! This unfair advantage over classmates let me ace the course.
Was this cheating? Gawd, I like to think so.

2) Keep note taking to a minimum....
- Topics to look into further.
- Thoughts about the material covered.

3) If the material is so standard & straightforward that the lecture adds nothing
over & above reading textbooks, save time by skipping class. That works for
subjects like thermodynamics, but not for evolving or arcane fields, eg, tribology.

Who else hates notes?
Any other good ideas about learning material with greater ease?

Last edited:
1) For a kinematics course, the prof wrote the material on transparencies projected
overhead. I took no notes, & just listened in class. But afterward, the prof let me

Most unis now make materials available online for students to read/print. Sometimes the lecture itself is also recorded and put online.

I personally think that students doing a bit of writing is useful as it engages them a bit more, so if they have the main points on a handout they can add some supplementary details in writing. This encourages focus and involvement, but also means the student isn't simply trying to write everything down and desperately trying to keep up.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Now you've taken me on a past life review. I know that when I took notes I remembered the material better when it came to test time. And, of course, doing well on a test was the most important thing to me (at the time).

So put away your hatred of work (taking notes) and embrace the rewards hard work brings.

Or sink into the slough of the easy but lesser path.

Bob the Unbeliever

Ref....

But I always hated taking notes. It's hectic & it interferes with paying attention,
especially when the instructor gets ahead of what's being written. And why do it?
in written form. If a lecture is worth attending, it should be easy to listen to & absorb.

I found better ways...

3) If the material is so standard & straightforward that the lecture adds nothing
subjects like thermodynamics, but not for evolving or arcane fields, eg, tribology.

Who else hates notes?

At one point, I was on a path to becoming a Teacher-- so, naturally, one of the classes I took (and did well in) was learning styles.

In that class, we explored how people learn, and by what methodologies.

I.e. Do you learn more when you are being talked to?

Or do you learn more by visual information? Reading? Or visual diagrams and/or pictures?

Or do you learn more by doing, i.e. experiments, or drawing, or writing?

Not ironically? In that class, we learned that the least most effective method of learning, was listening to someone talking, with zero visual cues.

That was at the bottom of the effective learning tier, and indeed, a significant number of people can't learn by that method at all (according to studies cited in the class, in a book I have long since discarded.... *sigh*)

The best method of learning (again, according to the same studies) is doing, i.e. to teach a kid how to build a coffee table? Have the kid build the actual coffee table.

What struck me, though? Is that if you combine multiple avenues? You learn faster, and it stays with you longer: I.e. if you combine listening with watching visual diagrams/photos/etc? You have a higher retention rate (typically).

If you add in a third avenue? That is-- you write down what you hear, even if abbreviated, and even if you never actually review what you just wrote?

The Information Retention is higher still.

And, of course, if you go back over any of the above a second time? Retention is higher yet.

So. To sum up:

Take notes to add an additional Learning Channel in your brain.

Read the notes you took, or the notes given by the teacher, or the textbook itself, to add yet another Learning Channel.

Listen to a recording of the lecture a second time: reinforces the first set of memories (from when you heard it the first time). Even at high speed listening-- yes there is lovely software now, that lets you speed up a person's speech, without creating a gerbil effect. I used this a LOT, back in the day-- I had a cool Sony cassette player/recorder (back when they were still cool) that had a playback speed adjustment. As much as 50% faster, without too much Gerbilizing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At one point, I was on a path to becoming a Teacher-- so, naturally, one of the classes I took (and did well in) was learning styles.

Or do you learn more by visual information? Reading? Or visual diagrams and/or pictures?

Not ironically? In that class, we learned that the least most effective method of learning, was listening to someone talking, with zero visual cues.

That was at the bottom of the effective learning tier, and indeed, a significant number of people can't learn by that method at all (according to studies cited in the class, in a book I have long since discarded.... *sigh*)

The best method of learning (again, according to the same studies) is doing, i.e. to teach a kid how to build a coffee table? Have the kid build the actual coffee table.

What struck me, though? Is that if you combine multiple avenues? You learn faster, and it stays with you longer: I.e. if you combine listening with watching visual diagrams/photos/etc? You have a higher retention rate (typically).

If you add in a third avenue? That is-- you write down what you hear, even if abbreviated, and even if you never actually review what you just wrote?

And, of course, if you go back over any of the above a second time? Retention is higher yet.

So. To sum up:

Read the notes you took, or the notes given by the teacher, or the textbook itself, to add yet another Learning Channel.

Listen to a recording of the lecture a second time: reinforces the first set of memories (from when you heard it the first time). Even at high speed listening-- yes there is lovely software now, that lets you speed up a person's speech, without creating a gerbil effect. I used this a LOT, back in the day-- I had a cool Sony cassette player/recorder (back when they were still cool) that had a playback speed adjustment. As much as 50% faster, without too much Gerbilizing.
In engineering, I found the best way to remember relationships
was to derive the equations from fundamentals. When exam
time came, I never reviewed for them. (It helped that all tests
were open book.)

Caution:
Let no one think that I was a stellar student.
But learned the most for the least amount of work.

Orbit

I'm a planet

Ref....

I found better ways...

Who else hates notes?
Hi-
I'm a professor who posts Powerpoints with the main points and examples BEFORE lecture. My students then have the main notes and can supplement with notes in their own words. So far, it seems to work for the students who bother to download them, but you'd be surprised at how many don't take advantage of it. Skipping class is a bad idea because notes aren't lecture---they need the lecture to illustrate the notes/powerpoints so that it makes sense to them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hi-
I'm a professor who posts Powerpoints with the main points and examples BEFORE lecture. My students then have the main notes and can supplement with notes in their own words. So far, it seems to work for the students who bother to download them, but you'd be surprised at how many don't take advantage of it. Skipping class is a bad idea because notes aren't lecture---they need the lecture to illustrate the notes/powerpoints so that it makes sense to them.
You sound exemplary.
Skipping class certainly works better for some people & some classes.
It's not for all.

I took a heat transfer course wherein we were graded on homework assignments.
Complete solutions to all problems were posted before it was due.
This was wonderful. One could correct misunderstandings sooner.
Oddly...some students still didn't get 100% on homework.

Bob the Unbeliever

You sound exemplary.
Skipping class certainly works better for some people & some classes.
It's not for all.

I took a heat transfer course wherein we were graded on homework assignments.
Complete solutions to all problems were posted before it was due.
This was wonderful. One could correct misunderstandings sooner.
Oddly...some students still didn't get 100% on homework.

Never underestimate willful stupidity. :D

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

So. To sum up:

What you remember still holds true, and there is also a lot more theory about learning and critical thinking skills that have developed over the past several decades.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Who else hates notes?
Despite the advice of pretty much everyone, I never took notes. The only things I ever wrote down were what assignments I had, and when they're due. The teachers had their presentations on powerpoint, and made them available to the class. And while everybody else was scribbling notes, I was doing homework (math classes), putting all the focus I could into the class (science classes), or intellectually squashing everyone (English and philosophy classes). I did, though, do extensive highlighting in my science courses, especially the 1 and 200 where there are more vocab and names to remember.
Another thing I didn't do much of was study. Or read all the material. Or be a "positive role model." What I did do was give a speech in front of a bunch of note-taking, anti-drug "good" honor students that included a part that supported/condoned (mostly illegal) drug use with a list of medical benefits to support my position - a few years later and MDMA was approved for PTSD by the FDA, a benefit my presentation did include, all because of the necessity of a well balanced life for a good life (the assignment was what we think it needed for a good life, or if it exists at all - I blasted the "Jesus" presentation with a barrage of 12 gauge shotgun slug questions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Despite the advice of pretty much everyone, I never took notes. The only things I ever wrote down were what assignments I had, and when they're due. The teachers had their presentations on powerpoint, and made them available to the class. And while everybody else was scribbling notes, I was doing homework (math classes), putting all the focus I could into the class (science classes), or intellectually squashing everyone (English and philosophy classes). I did, though, do extensive highlighting in my science courses, especially the 1 and 200 where there are more vocab and names to remember.
Another thing I didn't do much of was study. Or read all the material. Or be a "positive role model." What I did do was give a speech in front of a bunch of note-taking, anti-drug "good" honor students that included a part that supported/condoned (mostly illegal) drug use with a list of medical benefits to support my position - a few years later and MDMA was approved for PTSD by the FDA, a benefit my presentation did include, all because of the necessity of a well balanced life for a good life (the assignment was what we think it needed for a good life, or if it exists at all - I blasted the "Jesus" presentation with a barrage of 12 gauge shotgun slug questions.
I hated studying.
The advantages of engineering.....
- Most work was problem solving.
- All tests were open book.
The point is to understand & apply....not to memorize.
(Alas, open book is no more here.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I hated studying.
The advantages of engineering.....
- Most work was problem solving.
- All tests were open book.
The point is to understand & apply....not to memorize.
(Alas, open book is no more here.)
I challenged myself to not even bring my book to an open book test. I would have for statistics, because I didn't get the teacher who did the whole class on computer, but we were expected to have it all down in our head by test time. And the book wouldn't have helped much anyways because it was tons and tons of words and few numbers. And when it comes to me learning math (or relearning it) words are best left all together.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I challenged myself to not even bring my book to an open book test. I would have for statistics, because I didn't get the teacher who did the whole class on computer, but we were expected to have it all down in our head by test time. And the book wouldn't have helped much anyways because it was tons and tons of words and few numbers. And when it comes to me learning math (or relearning it) words are best left all together.
Challenge?
I wanted it to be as easy as possible.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Challenge?
I wanted it to be as easy as possible.
I don't think there was making it any easier for me. The hardest test I had was a course on technical editing and writing, and that's because you really had to know the ins-and-outs of the English language and be aware that things are very fickle and finicky when you're using a style guide. Math, science, and philosophy were pretty easy. But it's unbelievable how obnoxiously picky style guides are. I did much better on a mid-term that went by the Associated Press (AP) style, but AP is a walk in the park compared to Chicago (my writing/editing course style guide).