• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take a Quiz

flysky

- Muslims worship Muhammed (PBUH).
- Muslims pray to a different god than Christians and Jews do.
- Muslims believe in Jesus as a Prophet and don't believe in the Trinity.
- Muslims believe in Prophet Moses (PBUH).
- The Holy Quran has one chapter named after Mary (mother of Jesus (PBUH)).
- Muslims believe in the miraculous birth of Prophet Jesus (PBUH).
- The Holy Quran encourages violence.
- The largest Muslim population is in Indonesia and not the Middle East.
- Only 12% of the Muslim population is Arab.
- Western women are converting to Islam in large numbers.
- Islam gives many rights to women .
- Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.
- Suicide Bombings occur not because of Islam but because of political reasons.
- Jihad means Holy War.
- To get the answers to these questions I will have to visit http://www.askmuslims.com/qa.html

Nehustan

- Muslims worship Muhammed (PBUH). Absolutley incorrect, to worship anything 'finite' or physically manifest within creation seen or unseen is the greatest sin (shirk).

- Muslims pray to a different god than Christians and Jews do. Well this very much depends who the Christians and 'Jews' are praying to and what concept they hold in their mind. Eloah and Allah are synonymous, however it is often moot that Jahweh could be a different entity. However Muhammad, Jeheshuah, and Moses almost certainly prayed to the same God

- Muslims believe in Jesus as a Prophet and don't believe in the Trinity. Absolutley true.

- Muslims believe in Prophet Moses (PBUH). As a prophet, yes again absolutley true.

- The Holy Quran has one chapter named after Mary (mother of Jesus (PBUH)). True

- Muslims believe in the miraculous birth of Prophet Jesus (PBUH). True

- The Holy Quran encourages violence. Define violence, is defence violence? If so then yes.

- The largest Muslim population is in Indonesia and not the Middle East. Indonesia is a country, the middle east a region so...but irrelevant of this fact probably.

- Only 12% of the Muslim population is Arab. Probably true.

- Western women are converting to Islam in large numbers. 'in increasing numbers' would be a better description.

- Islam gives many rights to women . The first 'coded' legislation of womens right occur historically in the Quran.

- Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. It is the fastest reproducing, tho' evangelical christianity is contested to be the fastest 'growing' if one solely considers conversion.

- Suicide Bombings occur not because of Islam but because of political reasons. Hard one, I'd say it is political in part, but also from a feeling of desperation on the part of some muslims, who are prepared to gamble on the mercy of god for their left actions.

- Jihad means Holy War. Jihad means to strive in the path of Allah, firstly against one's own nature, but also against conscious enemies of the faith.

AtheistAJ

flysky said:
- Islam gives many rights to women .
Define what you said just there. All genders and races get same treatment in US constitution. The constitution also allows everyone to worship whatever they want freely. However it does not allow religious standards to meddle in law because of the separation of church and state. So regardless of one's own religion, in democracy, rather than awarding themselves more rights, as those rights are pre-established in the government, by choosing to follow those certain religious standards they just deprive themselves of more "rights".
Western women are converting to Islam in large numbers.
Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.
So I wouldn't believe that the first quote (if true) would have anything to do with those statistics (if true).

flysky

AtheistAJ said:
Define what you said just there. All genders and races get same treatment in US constitution. The constitution also allows everyone to worship whatever they want freely. However it does not allow religious standards to meddle in law because of the separation of church and state. So regardless of one's own religion, in democracy, rather than awarding themselves more rights, as those rights are pre-established in the government, by choosing to follow those certain religious standards they just deprive themselves of more "rights".
So I wouldn't believe that the first quote (if true) would have anything to do with those statistics (if true).
My friend, when did women get their rights in the US constitution? (such as : voting, equal reward for equal work, expressing her opinon, etc.)

Here are some rights women are given in Islam (I have a long list, but I will only give you a few points.) After you read the points you can compare them with any constitution.

1. The RIGHT and duty to acquire education.
2. The RIGHT to have her own independent property.
3. The RIGHT to work [job or business] to earn money, which she keeps it.
4. The RIGHT to equal reward for equal deed and/or work.
5. The RIGHT to express her opinion.
6. The RIGHT to argue and/or advocate her cause or opinion to be heard.
7. The RIGHT to vote since 1,421 years.
8. The RIGHT to provisions from her husband for all her needs and more.
9. The RIGHT to negotiate marriage terms of her choice
etc
(YOU CAN THE WHOLE LIST FROM http://askmuslims.com/women.html)

As far as other quotes regarding Western Women converting to Islam, I can provide you with proof. I can also proove to you that Islam is the fastest growing religion. Let me know if you want the info. By the way, check out http://askmuslims.com (you will get lots of info and if you don't let me know.)

Yerda

Veteran Member
Ardent Listener said:
If this is all true, someone needs to tell some Muslims about a lot of it.
This is true. My ex-girlfriend's mother used to prattle about the liberty that women gain through Islam, before scurrying of to the kitchen for hours at a time and cleaning before work. Likewise my-ex was literally disowned for seeing a white, non-Muslim, outside marriage, while her male cousins shagged about with white girls all the time. I have good reason to believe that these attitudes prevail throughout the majority of the Arab Muslim community in Scotland. In my experience the women were fiesty but ultimately very submissive. Stories of quite vicious beating were common and few of them were 'allowed' to work any place other then the family owned business.

Then again I met some truly fine people in the Muslim community, one was a priest-type guy (molby or something) and he was a genuine saint, who followed his religion, well, religiously, and never bothered people with dogma, never forced the women to be inhibited, etc. Guess it's who you meet like any other religion.

Dark_Waltz

If they don't beleive in marrying white people why are they living here?
They should be deported and if asian women have so many rights why are they skulking behind their big hairy husbands all the time,
Ugh yuck

flysky

Dark_Waltz said:
They should be deported and if asian women have so many rights why are they skulking behind their big hairy husbands all the time,
Ugh yuck
I am not getting your point my friend.

Holy Quran says:
People, We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes that you might know one another. The noblest of you before Allah is the most righteous of you. Allah is the Knower, the Aware. (Chapter [49.13] )

The Prophet (peace be upon him) declared: "O people! You are all from Adam and Adam was made of dust. No Arab is to be preferred over a non-Arab except by virtue of his piety." He also said: "Allah does not look at your shapes or your colors but He looks at your hearts (intentions) and your deeds. Creatures are the dependants of Allah and the closest among them to Allah are indeed the most useful to His dependants."

"O mankind! Be careful of your duty to your Lord Who created you from a single soul and from it created its mate and from them twain hath spread abroad a multitude of men and women.” (Chapter 4: 1)

Yerda

Veteran Member
Dark_Waltz said:
To gain freedoms and prosperity not possible in Pakistan or Iran I believe. In order that they can raise their families in safety and comfort.

Dark_Waltz said:
Ugh yuck
Firstly, what a shameless display of bigotry. Secondly because custom is difficult to change and culture sticks like glue no matter where people go. It takes time.

almifkhar

look the quran flat out gives women rights however we are to be good wives and do what our husbands want from us with in reason.

the plight of women is something that every so called civilzed nation struggles with. we as women have to deal with the superiority complexes of men, traditonal cultural norms, etc. the point it everywhere in this world we women get shafted and treated badly.

as far as the god issue. we believe in one supreme being period. the main difference between islam, christanity, and judiasm is that jews are believe the messiah has not yet come, the christians believe jesus is the messiah, but has turned him into a god, and us, we believe jesus is the messiah but do not see him as a god.

i am not going to try and sell any of you islam, but know this, we have problems with in our religon and nations just like anyone else. our religon does not advocate murder, rape, pillage or mayhem. and as far as the womens issue, i get so sick and tired of people saying that islam supresses women. men supress women bottom line. i am a muslim women who stays home as much as possible and fully veils when i leave my house. i do this because i want to. my husband has no say so in the way in which i dress, nor does he tell me when and where i can and cannot go. in my marriage, we have equal standing, but with different jobs and duties. my american (christian and non religious) married girlfriends have to work, come home take care of kids, and clean because their husbands are too lazy to put a newspaper back where it belongs, where as my husband the arab muslim, picks up after himself and deals with the stresses of working outside of the home so i don't have to. for some reason in this country the idea of being a mother and housewife became a evil title and i do not understand why considering it is the most noble job on the planet.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
When Islam first came around, having all those rights was a NewFantasticThing for women back then.

i am not going to try and sell any of you islam, but know this, we have problems with in our religon and nations just like anyone else. our religon does not advocate murder, rape, pillage or mayhem. and as far as the womens issue, i get so sick and tired of people saying that islam supresses women. men supress women bottom line. i am a muslim women who stays home as much as possible and fully veils when i leave my house. i do this because i want to. my husband has no say so in the way in which i dress, nor does he tell me when and where i can and cannot go. in my marriage, we have equal standing, but with different jobs and duties. my american (christian and non religious) married girlfriends have to work, come home take care of kids, and clean because their husbands are too lazy to put a newspaper back where it belongs, where as my husband the arab muslim, picks up after himself and deals with the stresses of working outside of the home so i don't have to. for some reason in this country the idea of being a mother and housewife became a evil title and i do not understand why considering it is the most noble job on the planet.
Amen. : )

I do not (currently) wear hijab- though I wouldnt mind it. However, my Muslim SO has told me numerous times he would hate to see me dress like that. : P He's the least hateful, sexist, or intolerance person I know.

I think that staying at home is a fantastic thing- if the woman wants it. I want to work- but if I have kids I would rather be able to stay home and take care of them.