• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tai Chi Practice

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've been practicing taijuan every day for the past 4 years now. My health and vitality compared to where I was at previously, is frankly miraculous. I was overweight and led a sedentary life, doing computer work and not much exercise, which was causing a great deal of difficulty in doing anything physical as I progressed in age.

I had previously started practicing meditation to help with anxiety and to get in touch with my spirituality more, but with the ironic Buddha-belly, and difficulty in sitting down on the meditation cushion and rising up from it, I began to be drawn to learning Tai Chi, as I began losing weight and was looking for some low impact physical exercise, as well as combining mediation with that that. It seemed a perfect match.

I started at a little over 255 lbs, and am now down to 175 lbs. I have incredible flexibility and mobility now and can perform things physically I haven't been able to do since my early teen years. Gardening work is easy now. I can do full squats to the ground and stand up without needing to grab onto things. Additionally, I feel connected and grounded mentally and spiritually - something I have always struggled with. T'ai Chi is one of those universal practices that anyone can do at any age. Which is why picked up up in my late 50's.

I just saw this really cool video today of some T'ai Chi masters in a park in China in 1959, which happens to be the year I was born. I love the music with this, and the film itself. You can really feel the peace that comes with the practice watching them.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Congrats on the overall health improvements (including but not limited to weight loss) :)
Do you incorporate Qigong into your Taichi as well? I know a lot of people mix the two similar but different practices.

RestlessSoul

Did you have lessons in a class? I've been doing Tai Chi for a few months - feel the benefits already - but the teaching I've had has all been online.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the overall health improvements (including but not limited to weight loss) :)
Do you incorporate Qigong into your Taichi as well? I know a lot of people mix the two similar but different practices.
Thanks. Yes, qigong practice is central to taiji. It's a martial form of qigong practice. The normal routine is begin with warm ups, light stretchings and relaxation of the neck, then the shoulders, then down to the mid back, spine, hips, balance practice, legs. That's about 10-15 minutes. Then qigong for another 10-15, different forms, ocean breathing, crane breathing, three cauldrons, etc. That's the standing meditation part, which includes movement.

After those then I do the first section of the form, and if I have time I'll do all three sections of the the 150 posture form which takes about 15-20 minutes to play. I try to do the full form a few times a week, but minimally I do the stretching warm up section. I like to ride my bike to nearby park by a lake to do it. Or, I just do it outside at my house.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did you have lessons in a class? I've been doing Tai Chi for a few months - feel the benefits already - but the teaching I've had has all been online.
Yes, I went to a T'ai Chi studio locally to learn the Yang family long form, which is three sections totaling 150 postures, based on 43 basic postures. I went three times a week and learned the whole form in about 7 months. But that's just scratching the surface. You'll spend your whole life plumbing it's depths. It's truly a meditation, and frankly a path to Enlightenment itself, if you let it take you there.

I too listen to a lot of online videos. There's always more to learn, and I gain a lot from them too. I have a lot of ones I would suggest if you're interested. Which family of Tai Chi are you learning? Yang? Cheng? Sun? Any one particular teacher you're learning from in online classes?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Before Covid, I was going to two qigong (8 brocade) and two taichi (yang short form) sessions a week.

My good intentions disappeared as they tend to do but this thread is a wonderful reminder that I should go back using the 8 brocade qigong as a warmup to the taichi practice itself as the instructor suggested when Covid stopped the classes.

RestlessSoul

Yes, I went to a T'ai Chi studio locally to learn the Yang family long form, which is three sections totaling 150 postures, based on 43 basic postures. I went three times a week and learned the whole form in about 7 months. But that's just scratching the surface. You'll spend your whole life plumbing it's depths. It's truly a meditation, and frankly a path to Enlightenment itself, if you let it take you there.

I too listen to a lot of online videos. There's always more to learn, and I gain a lot from them too. I have a lot of ones I would suggest if you're interested. Which family of Tai Chi are you learning? Yang? Cheng? Sun? Any one particular teacher you're learning from in online classes?

I’ve been following this lady. I’m really just starting out at a very basic level, will probably book some live classes now lockdown is finally ending in the U.K.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. Yes, qigong practice is central to taiji. It's a martial form of qigong practice. The normal routine is begin with warm ups, light stretchings and relaxation of the neck, then the shoulders, then down to the mid back, spine, hips, balance practice, legs. That's about 10-15 minutes. Then qigong for another 10-15, different forms, ocean breathing, crane breathing, three cauldrons, etc. That's the standing meditation part, which includes movement.

After those then I do the first section of the form, and if I have time I'll do all three sections of the the 150 posture form which takes about 15-20 minutes to play. I try to do the full form a few times a week, but minimally I do the stretching warm up section. I like to ride my bike to nearby park by a lake to do it. Or, I just do it outside at my house.
I took a long class in Chinese traditional medicine and things like wuxing incorporated qigong is something that came up a lot. It was really interesting seeing how Chinese mysticism with five element style teachings found their way into qigong and taichi. Here's a video of qigong cycling through the five element cycle:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Before Covid, I was going to two qigong (8 brocade) and two taichi (yang short form) sessions a week.

My good intentions disappeared as they tend to do but this thread is a wonderful reminder that I should go back using the 8 brocade qigong as a warmup to the taichi practice itself as the instructor suggested when Covid stopped the classes.
We quit all studio practice, but we did Tai Chi in the park on Wednesday at 5:00 PM and Saturdays at noon. I rode my bike there and back each time, which is a half-hour ride each way. A tai chi sandwich, I called it. :). I'm hoping for the studio will open again, as I was just starting to learn the two person drills when covid hit. But the solo form alone is enough to keep one busy.

Do you do the teacups practice in your warm ups? Those are great for meditation as well.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We quit all studio practice, but we did Tai Chi in the park on Wednesday at 5:00 PM and Saturdays at noon. I rode my bike there and back each time, which is a half-hour ride each way. A tai chi sandwich, I called it. :). I'm hoping for the studio will open again, as I was just starting to learn the two person drills when covid hit. But the solo form alone is enough to keep one busy.

Do you do the teacups practice in your warm ups? Those are great for meditation as well.
I had to look up teacups so I could answer 'no'. But it sounds like a very valuable practice item.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I started at a little over 255 lbs, and am now down to 175 lbs. I have incredible flexibility and mobility now and can perform things physically I haven't been able to do since my early teen years. Gardening work is easy now.

That in itself will mean a lot. I'm currently in transition from 220 to 170, and am just below 190. I too feel so much better, as an insignificant amount compared to you, so I can only get a sense of how great you must feel. For me, it's most noticeable on knees, and the chronic plantar fasciitis.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I've been practicing taijuan every day for the past 4 years now. My health and vitality compared to where I was at previously, is frankly miraculous. I was overweight and led a sedentary life, doing computer work and not much exercise, which was causing a great deal of difficulty in doing anything physical as I progressed in age.

I had previously started practicing meditation to help with anxiety and to get in touch with my spirituality more, but with the ironic Buddha-belly, and difficulty in sitting down on the meditation cushion and rising up from it, I began to be drawn to learning Tai Chi, as I began losing weight and was looking for some low impact physical exercise, as well as combining mediation with that that. It seemed a perfect match.

I started at a little over 255 lbs, and am now down to 175 lbs. I have incredible flexibility and mobility now and can perform things physically I haven't been able to do since my early teen years. Gardening work is easy now. I can do full squats to the ground and stand up without needing to grab onto things. Additionally, I feel connected and grounded mentally and spiritually - something I have always struggled with. T'ai Chi is one of those universal practices that anyone can do at any age. Which is why picked up up in my late 50's.

I just saw this really cool video today of some T'ai Chi masters in a park in China in 1959, which happens to be the year I was born. I love the music with this, and the film itself. You can really feel the peace that comes with the practice watching them.

I've been doing Taijiquan (Yang style for almost 30 years, some Chen, a little Wu and a little Sun tyle) for almost 30 years, will be 30 years this year. I have trained with several teacher, my Yang shifu the longest. Use to teach, will again someday. But currently cannot do much due to knee issues

You can see a lot of old Taijiquan videos here
Best Tai Chi Videos

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Too bad its so expensive for a teacher.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That in itself will mean a lot. I'm currently in transition from 220 to 170, and am just below 190. I too feel so much better, as an insignificant amount compared to you, so I can only get a sense of how great you must feel. For me, it's most noticeable on knees, and the chronic plantar fasciitis.
Every time I dropped another 5 lbs, I could feel the difference. I went on a bike ride the other day up some big hills I used to do when I weighed 10 lbs more last fall, and I could really feel the difference of that last 10 lbs. It surprised me how much easier they were now!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Too bad its so expensive for a teacher.
It's not that expensive for the studio I go to. If you pay per time, it's only $20 per lesson. When I turn 65 in a few years, I can get the Senior discount of unlimited classes for only $185 per quarter. That's not bad, considering what a Gym membership costs. They have many different classes per week, such as meditation classes, push hands drills, symmetries, 12 animals form, etc...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Every time I dropped another 5 lbs, I could feel the difference. I went on a bike ride the other day up some big hills I used to do when I weighed 10 lbs more last fall, and I could really feel the difference of that last 10 lbs. It surprised me how much easier they were now!
How many new jeans did you have to buy?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How many new jeans did you have to buy?
That's funny! I had hung on to a couple old pairs before I had started gaining weight... just in case I lost weight, I said to my partner. She kept bugging me to get rid of them. Glad I didn't! But in reality, I had moved to wearing mostly just sweat pants with a drawstring since I had started working from home all the time.

I did recently go through all my big clothes I had for work, along with several pairs of size 42 jeans, maybe size 44 too, and put them into piles to donate to Goodwill. None of my old shirts fits anymore, and the pants were 3 sizes too large. I will never put weight on like that again. It feels too good being the right weight for my body type. I feel at least 30 years younger, or more.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's funny! I had hung on to a couple old pairs at size 38 before I had started gaining weight... just in case I lost weight, I said to my partner. She kept bugging me to get rid of them. Glad I didn't! But in reality, I had moved to wearing mostly just sweat pants with a drawstring since I had started working from home all the time.

I did recently go through all my big clothes I had for work and put them into piles to donate to Goodwill. None of my old shirts fits anymore, and the pants were 3 sizes too large. I will never put weight on like that again. It feels too good being the right weight for my body type. I feel at least 30 years younger, or more.
I have to make a trip to Goodwill as well. I'm a jeans guy, (minimalist in number) and bought one pair at 38. I kept a 34 from about 20 years ago, and it's the only one I have currently that fits. I don't want to buy more because at 170 it'll be 32. It helps to work from home like you, be retired like me, or don't care. I wear ripped t-shirts I painted a deck with. Some stuff is at least 20 years old. I still have some stuff with the school's logo, and that was 13 years ago.

The thing about a quicker transition is it'll shock you enough to remember the effects. When I put it on, it was 40 pounds over 40 years, maybe slower, so the effect was hardly noticeable.

Your partner must be happy for you too.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've been doing Taijiquan (Yang style for almost 30 years, some Chen, a little Wu and a little Sun tyle) for almost 30 years, will be 30 years this year. I have trained with several teacher, my Yang shifu the longest. Use to teach, will again someday. But currently cannot do much due to knee issues

You can see a lot of old Taijiquan videos here
Best Tai Chi Videos
Thanks for the link. Our sifu was trained and certified by T.T. Liang. It was great to see him doing the exact form which I learned from his disciple.

It's not often I see anyone else do Repulse the Monkey with the feet straight, rather than at 45 degree angles. It's for opening up the lower back, we are told he did it that way for health purposes. You wouldn't actually use that in martial application though. It's like walking backwards down railroad tracks. Not as easy as it looks. ;)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Thanks for the link. Our sifu was trained and certified by T.T. Liang. It was great to see him doing the exact form which I learned from his disciple.

It's not often I see anyone else do Repulse the Monkey with the feet straight, rather than at 45 degree angles. It's for opening up the lower back, we are told he did it that way for health purposes. You wouldn't actually use that in martial application though. It's like walking backwards down railroad tracks. Not as easy as it looks. ;)

My Yang Shifu was a student of Tung Ying Chieh

The other style I have trained a lot of, but not as much as Yang, is Chen
I have trained Chen with students of Chen Zhenglei and I learned Chen silk reeling from Chen Zhenglei

I have also trained Cheng Manching's short form as it comes from William CC Chen and hen again from a person I know that learned it from the Patience Taiji Association in NYC. But I have not done it in over a year