• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taboos and good and evil

Kapalika

Premium Member
Just some of my own thoughts on the subject, and wanting to hear from others and ask questions and get a diversity of views and opinions.

Could you as part of your Left Hand practice ever commit what you see as really taboo? Even if finding no or little joy in it?

Could you for example, have sex with someone that you find repulsive or taboo due to a physical aspect of them? Either due to your own orientation or something else? Could overcoming these taboos be beneficial to your spiritual practice? And no, I don't mean anything illegal.

I recently, through invoking the power of Lilith in a ritual, I overcame a very personal sexual taboo of mine with another person. I think I understand myself better for it now, and I feel it's helped me along my path... but it wasn't too long ago. So time will tell how it affects me.

I kind of think that when those in the Left Hand talk about breaking taboos they tend to (in more occult circles) define it in a reveling, hedonistic kind of way. But that is more like something you enjoy that isn't really taboo for you, just for others. At least in my view.

What I'm talking about is breaking your own taboos. To truly be unfettered. I don't think that one has to participate in what they find uninteresting, but at least participating at least once in what they find to be repulsive, I feel, is essential to the Left Hand. Maybe there is a good reason to not do certain things (like things that are illegal), but that doesn't mean that other avenues of taboo breaking, sexual or not can't be accomplished.

For example, could you, assuming you have qualms about it, at least once, sacrifice an animal in ritual? Or eat something you wouldn't ever dream of eating? Could you eat your own feces or human flesh (given in the way it was done was legal?)

I should make clear I am not conflating "disgusting" with "taboo" here. My own sexual taboo I mentioned earlier was only taboo to me, not disgusting (well maybe it is to some people). To those who don't feel a taboo, but simply grossed out by the idea, it wouldn't really apply in the same way. Although... overcoming the disgust of certain things is part of the Left Hand traditionally... nothing is impure... there is no good or evil (back on this later)... everything is part of the same cosmic essence/truth.

Also just because a knife is sharp doesn't mean you should realize that by striking it against you when striking it against something unliving will do just as good without harming you or others, for the sake of metaphor. In that metaphor, striking it against yourself or others would generate the most shock and might even help you overcome the the disgust at harming yourself or others.. but it's also very self-destructive and will only give short-term benefits at much greater cost to yourself and others. Then again some, from times past, might argue that avoiding in harming others creates "karma"... meaning attachment to the outcome of one's actions. I'd disagree though with that, and argue that intention and will are the guiding forces here, not attachment.

Perhaps though, the balance of the LHP is on the fine edge of a knife. The closer you ride to that kind of behavior but don't cross certain lines, the closer you come to "evil" but don't cross the line into the truly heinous, the faster you are driven towards liberation. It's all about self-mastery... not slavery to another master (in the trap, it's slavery to doing heinous things, the flip side of dualistic morality). Ultimately one should not be good or evil, but ultimately transcend both, and ultimately do for themselves and for others what people call "good" (as this will align with their will absolutely and not relatively). Or at least that is what I think. This is from what I understand, a Dharmic view on the matter, from a Left Hand, Tantric perspective; Ruling purely by one's own cosmic will without regard for taboo.

I don't know if that creates another duality (it almost feels like just moving things around), but I would think at the very least as a working model it's a step above the good-bad dichotomy and from what I've seen it works better than any other system or lack of I've seen yet in my life for someone like me, although I admit it's very dangerous to believe that way (since some of this logic can be used in a way to try to justify truly heinous things). For most believing in good and evil, and choosing the good and never trying to even get near the evil is safer, and what would be closer to a historical definition of Right Hand Path and that is in the sense I use it.

I know others from time periods past would say that some involvement with at least some of the heinous is an important part of the Left Hand. Even the Right Hand did similar heinous things but the context was in a more acceptable, orthodox light. I think we are in different times now, and I don't know what value can really be gained in doing something so irreversible to others. At the very least it's selfish, which unintuitively is actually determinantal to walking the Left Hand Path. I suppose this could be extended to my earlier question about animal sacrifice, but then too it would have to apply to what one eats... in my view the two are little if any different. And yet as most of us in the LHP DIR living in the west, we tend to have this taboo against animal sacrifice. I find that kind of weird.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Oh yes, I'm constantly prodding myself into doing things that I am irrationally aversive to, in order to overcome my aversions. I'm not sure these could be classified as breaking personal taboos, however. (Taboo is a rather strong word for me.)

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I completely understand this idea. Very few things feel taboo to me anymore, the few things that bother me fall under the "disgust" category that you mentioned, but it wasn't always that way. I used to have lots of personal taboos. It was only through challenging them like you mentioned that I managed to get over them and eventually see them not as taboos anymore, but as just parts of life and the world. I love that you connected it back to spiritual growth. This is something that I looked over often at the time, but looking back at it a lot of it has come to shape my path and in certain ways, myself. Going all the way back to when I broke a personal taboo and became a polytheist as age 5, the more I think it through, the more I can map all the broken taboos throughout my life and connect them to advancements in my faith and in myself.
Could you for example, have sex with someone that you find repulsive or taboo due to a physical aspect of them? Either due to your own orientation or something else? Could overcoming these taboos be beneficial to your spiritual practice? And no, I don't mean anything illegal.

I recently, through invoking the power of Lilith in a ritual, I overcame a very personal sexual taboo of mine with another person. I think I understand myself better for it now, and I feel it's helped me along my path... but it wasn't too long ago. So time will tell how it affects me.
I've had many sexual taboo breaks, but as far as I can see, none have made any change to my faith. I just quote this because it's so relatable. I've been breaking so many personal sexual taboos with my boyfriend over the past few months and I have to tell you, there's few better ways to really grow trust in someone, it really brings people together to face these kind of taboos together. Even if it doesn't lead to any spiritual growth, facing these kinds of things, sexual or not, is so freeing. Once you're free from the shackles of the norm, anything feels possible (excuse my cheesy tone).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Could you as part of your Left Hand practice ever commit what you see as really taboo? Even if finding no or little joy in it?
Can't say there is not joy involved, but changing sex is pretty taboo in our society, LOL!
But, really, "taboo" really doesn't hold much weight, consideration, or power to me anymore. If I were to even derive pleasure from doing the "taboo," it's would be something symbolic in nature with lots of power behind it, such as burning a flag. I was a pyromaniac when I was younger, and to me burning a piece of cloth isn't very exciting. But when that cloth has much power of an ideology behind it, such as a nation's flag or shroud of Turin, it becomes not an act to burn them but a symbol.
Or, on the personal side, there is trying to learn about socializing and be more sociable. It's a hard and daunting task to me, and I'd rather understand it well enough and perform well enough without needing the booz-crutch. But I just don't consider strengthening and empowering yourself as a taboo. It's really one of the core principles of the Left Hand Path. Many years ago it was very unpleasant to force myself to look at spiders and touch snakes, but everything's much better off now because spiders don't bother me, which means they're living longer and catching more insects (so I guess the insects got the raw end of the deal), and I almost feel a kinship of sorts with snakes as they slither on my arms and hands.

Clarify your question: taboo for what reason?
It's the empowerment from doing what you absolutely do not want to do, but you do it anyways. For me, this is reading books by people like Mike Huckabee, Glenn Beck, and Friedman Milton. It's repulsive, but I am in a position where I often know more about Libertarianism than many Libertarians. For me, this is watching the new comic book movies to help sell a product. Anymore, those movies are just so dumb, so cheesy, and so very well overdone that I can't stand to sit through them, but I endured just so I could say "look at what this does!" But in reference to the OP and sex, I won't touch feet or toes and I'll only do foot rubs if my partner has a clean fresh pair of socks on (It's the repulsive blech I feel over my own sweaty, smelly, fungal, itchy nasty feet that gets extended to everyone's feet), and I won't do waste like urine or feces, I'm up for just about anything (no rimming though). But I have wanted to try bondage ever since I was reading a short manga that had drawings of people tied up in various positions, and I would be a "bedroom sub" if I knew how to find a dom, especially who isn't looking for a more "regular sub." And I definitely want to experiment with more pain. I'm especially curious as to whether or not a good enough shock turns me into the Energizer Nympho.:D

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Are you able to find beauty in what others in mundane society see as ugly and horrific?

Aegis of Cthulhu​

12209-6521af965f13c8748f50eb6e810b3140.jpg

Last edited:

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Are you able to find beauty in what others in mundane society see as ugly and horrific?
This is a good point to make, and something that I find can often set us apart from the rest. This has less to do with facing personal taboos though and touches at the (equally important) idea of facing societal taboos. I think this would actually be great as a new thread; what is so important about facing, or even enjoying, societal taboos. Do you mind if I run with the idea in a new thread?

Kapalika

Premium Member
Which LHP are you referring to?

If one can't box me into one or the other I'm doing it right, I figure.

I didn't know there could be taboos for someone personally.

Clarify your question: taboo for what reason?

I guess taboo for cultural reasons. If something is taboo because it hurts other people... then that's worth leaving alone... but that doesn't mean the mental aspect of it can't be explored. It just means, as my OP says, that you shouldn't cross certain lines into actually doing certain harmful things.

It's the empowerment from doing what you absolutely do not want to do, but you do it anyways. For me, this is reading books by people like Mike Huckabee, Glenn Beck, and Friedman Milton. It's repulsive, but I am in a position where I often know more about Libertarianism than many Libertarians. For me, this is watching the new comic book movies to help sell a product. Anymore, those movies are just so dumb, so cheesy, and so very well overdone that I can't stand to sit through them, but I endured just so I could say "look at what this does!" But in reference to the OP and sex, I won't touch feet or toes and I'll only do foot rubs if my partner has a clean fresh pair of socks on (It's the repulsive blech I feel over my own sweaty, smelly, fungal, itchy nasty feet that gets extended to everyone's feet), and I won't do waste like urine or feces, I'm up for just about anything (no rimming though). But I have wanted to try bondage ever since I was reading a short manga that had drawings of people tied up in various positions, and I would be a "bedroom sub" if I knew how to find a dom, especially who isn't looking for a more "regular sub." And I definitely want to experiment with more pain. I'm especially curious as to whether or not a good enough shock turns me into the Energizer Nympho.:D

I'm actually really glad you made this post as it strikes at at the heart of the major reason for the kind of taboo breaking I'm talking about, it fosters understanding. I think in the future I'll use your example/comparision of reading literature with which one finds utterly repugnant. It doesn't mean you have to enjoy it, but it helps you understand that part of reality. In your example the political reality. It can actually help people combat that kind of thing too by having an authentic understanding of it.

As far as waste and sex, I mentioned it as it's two of the forbidden substances that the in some traditional LHP sects would be involved with (urine, feces, meat, alcohol, blood and sexual fluids I think; this being different from the 5 m's). Personally I don't feel a taboo about human waste, just grossed out and concerned for health. So I don't think I could ever do it so long as I felt there was still a rational concern for health involved in it. But I can see the value in overcoming the irrational aversion that goes beyond simply being mindful of health.

I think I could say that I see that it is no more impure than me, although certain things I would say should be avoided. Reason would decide this. It's the difference between understanding and appreciating something for what it is, and actually condoning all behaviors. For example I find the psychology of serial killers somewhat intriguing and interesting, but I wouldn't ever glorify them for what they did. In my religious view they are no more evil than me, but they acted against their higher nature by violating the innate rights of those around them. Because while everything is part of the same connected Universe and so nothing is impure or evil, it's still connected and hurting others (without justification and provocation) ultimately hurts you too and your ability to reach higher spiritual and magical states. (I can touch on how this affects ones ability to fullfill their will later; busy)

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
This is a good point to make, and something that I find can often set us apart from the rest. This has less to do with facing personal taboos though and touches at the (equally important) idea of facing societal taboos. I think this would actually be great as a new thread; what is so important about facing, or even enjoying, societal taboos. Do you mind if I run with the idea in a new thread?

Go for it. =^_^=

Last edited:

ScottySatan

I guess taboo for cultural reasons. If something is taboo because it hurts other people... then that's worth leaving alone... but that doesn't mean the mental aspect of it can't be explored. It just means, as my OP says, that you shouldn't cross certain lines into actually doing certain harmful things.

I still don't really get the question. Being LHP like a Satanist is culturally taboo.

AnnaCzereda

And no, I don't mean anything illegal.

If it's not illegal, then it's not a taboo. A taboo is something proscribed by the society. If all your actions are legal, then you don't break any taboos. You may only push your limits. It's a completely different cup of tea.

ThirtyThree

Just some of my own thoughts on the subject, and wanting to hear from others and ask questions and get a diversity of views and opinions.

I will answer these, despite not calling my practices"Left Hand".

Yes.

Yes. I have considered this before as well as a means of breaking certain conditioning.

I kind of think that when those in the Left Hand talk about breaking taboos they tend to (in more occult circles) define it in a reveling, hedonistic kind of way. But that is more like something you enjoy that isn't really taboo for you, just for others. At least in my view.

What I'm talking about is breaking your own taboos. To truly be unfettered. I don't think that one has to participate in what they find uninteresting, but at least participating at least once in what they find to be repulsive, I feel, is essential to the Left Hand. Maybe there is a good reason to not do certain things (like things that are illegal), but that doesn't mean that other avenues of taboo breaking, sexual or not can't be accomplished.

To truly know, there is value in experiencing. It is not known my reaction to a particular taboo will be the same as another, or even if I will consider it wrong after doing it. Such exploration, I find to be liberating.

For example, could you, assuming you have qualms about it, at least once, sacrifice an animal in ritual? Or eat something you wouldn't ever dream of eating? Could you eat your own feces or human flesh (given in the way it was done was legal?)

Yes. There is a particular power in such acts.

I should make clear I am not conflating "disgusting" with "taboo" here. My own sexual taboo I mentioned earlier was only taboo to me, not disgusting (well maybe it is to some people). To those who don't feel a taboo, but simply grossed out by the idea, it wouldn't really apply in the same way. Although... overcoming the disgust of certain things is part of the Left Hand traditionally... nothing is impure... there is no good or evil (back on this later)... everything is part of the same cosmic essence/truth.

Also just because a knife is sharp doesn't mean you should realize that by striking it against you when striking it against something unliving will do just as good without harming you or others, for the sake of metaphor. In that metaphor, striking it against yourself or others would generate the most shock and might even help you overcome the the disgust at harming yourself or others.. but it's also very self-destructive and will only give short-term benefits at much greater cost to yourself and others. Then again some, from times past, might argue that avoiding in harming others creates "karma"... meaning attachment to the outcome of one's actions. I'd disagree though with that, and argue that intention and will are the guiding forces here, not attachment.

Perhaps though, the balance of the LHP is on the fine edge of a knife. The closer you ride to that kind of behavior but don't cross certain lines, the closer you come to "evil" but don't cross the line into the truly heinous, the faster you are driven towards liberation. It's all about self-mastery... not slavery to another master (in the trap, it's slavery to doing heinous things, the flip side of dualistic morality). Ultimately one should not be good or evil, but ultimately transcend both, and ultimately do for themselves and for others what people call "good" (as this will align with their will absolutely and not relatively). Or at least that is what I think. This is from what I understand, a Dharmic view on the matter, from a Left Hand, Tantric perspective; Ruling purely by one's own cosmic will without regard for taboo.

I don't know if that creates another duality (it almost feels like just moving things around), but I would think at the very least as a working model it's a step above the good-bad dichotomy and from what I've seen it works better than any other system or lack of I've seen yet in my life for someone like me, although I admit it's very dangerous to believe that way (since some of this logic can be used in a way to try to justify truly heinous things). For most believing in good and evil, and choosing the good and never trying to even get near the evil is safer, and what would be closer to a historical definition of Right Hand Path and that is in the sense I use it.

I know others from time periods past would say that some involvement with at least some of the heinous is an important part of the Left Hand. Even the Right Hand did similar heinous things but the context was in a more acceptable, orthodox light. I think we are in different times now, and I don't know what value can really be gained in doing something so irreversible to others. At the very least it's selfish, which unintuitively is actually determinantal to walking the Left Hand Path. I suppose this could be extended to my earlier question about animal sacrifice, but then too it would have to apply to what one eats... in my view the two are little if any different. And yet as most of us in the LHP DIR living in the west, we tend to have this taboo against animal sacrifice. I find that kind of weird.

Excellent post. Thank you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If it's not illegal, then it's not a taboo. A taboo is something proscribed by the society. If all your actions are legal, then you don't break any taboos. You may only push your limits. It's a completely different cup of tea.
Laws are different from norms and folkways. Some taboo things are illegal, as is the act of breaking the law, but taboo things are not necessarily illegal. It is your constitutionally protected right to burn the flag. Go find a crowd Monday to do it in front of, and it won't be well tolerated. It's legal to change your sex, but some people have been killed over it. And to take it one stop further, not all illegal things are taboo. Around here the police are about the only ones who care if you smoke pot (and they really care), and there is zero jay-walking enforcement and it's common to see people illegally crossing the road.

ScottySatan

Not in America. There are lots of legal taboos here.

Probably in Poland too, no? I bet it's taboo to drink vodka until you pass out by 12pm every single day, but legal.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Oh yes, I'm constantly prodding myself into doing things that I am irrationally aversive to, in order to overcome my aversions. I'm not sure these could be classified as breaking personal taboos, however. (Taboo is a rather strong word for me.)
I just looked up the definition of taboo, and it looks like this fits. Go figure.

Kapalika

Premium Member

Then why is it taboo to be satanist for example? That isn't illegal.

Last edited: