• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suspect charged with hate crime for destroying Satanic Temple display at Iowa Capitol

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
I think it is fair, but it's just my personal opinion.

All religions should be treated the same, so that means if destroying a church altar is considered a hate crime by the law, then destruction of a satanic temple property should be qualified the same also.

Just because it's seen as "ew bad" by a group doesn't means it's more okay to destroy it.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think it is fair, but it's just my personal opinion.

All religions should be treated the same, so that means if destroying a church altar is considered a hate crime by the law, then destruction of a satanic temple property should be qualified the same also.

Just because it's seen as "ew bad" by a group means it's more okay to destroy it than another one.
The Satanic Temple set the display up to see if legislators would respect and honor The 1st Amendment, particularly the establishment clause thereof.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Honestly, I think that not all religions are the same.
Or rather, not all ideologies or thoughts deserve the denomination religion.
And this is the case.

I am sorry, I need to be outspoken: of course I condemn that person's act, but we are not dealing with a religion, here.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
The Satanic Temple set the display up to see if legislators would respect and honor The 1st Amendment, particularly the establishment clause thereof.
Then a point was definitely made ... It's both funny and sad

What shocked me the most in the article is this tho

The Lauderdale, Mississippi, man told the conservative website The Sentinel that “My conscience is held captive to the word of God, not to bureaucratic decree. And so I acted.”

If a political person or any kind of lawmaker is confident in making this kind of statement then they shouldn't be at this work position. When at work, you work for a country, its laws, its people (all the kind of people). Not for any God. When you are not at work, yes you are free to be as religious as you want in your personal life.

But it might be an American culture thing that I don't understand, since I see a lot of US political figures talking about religion and invoking religion in the context of their work.

Which I personally think is very, very dangerous. Separation of religion and state is very important to insure the laws and governance is fair for everyone.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
From the article:
Michael Cassidy, a former congressional candidate from Mississippi, was charged the following day with fourth-degree criminal mischief, a misdemeanor. The Lauderdale, Mississippi, man told the conservative website The Sentinel that “My conscience is held captive to the word of God, not to bureaucratic decree. And so I acted.”​

Is his conscience really held captive by god? Let's look:
Matt 7:7-12

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

If his mind is not under his control, as he says, and his actions do not conform to the scripture, then just who is in control of his mind and conscience?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I hope the experience teaches the former candidate a lesson—that he must respect other people’s property and acknowledge that he lives in a free country with a secular government. If he cannot accept that and would rather have his conscience ‘captive to the word of God’ to the extent that he chooses to destroy property that triggers him, he ought to consider relocating to Pakistan or Afghanistan. There, he would be safe from Satanic iconography.

Just because it's seen as "ew bad" by a group doesn't means it's more okay to destroy it.

I fully agree. Unfortunately, some adults don’t want to follow this rule.

of course I condemn that person's act, but we are not dealing with a religion, here.

What would you say is a good definition of religion?

Seems to me that if you got enough people with money who agree with what you did, you will not have to worry about affording the monetary costs of your criminal behavior.

A lot of Americans now, it seems, approve of manifest criminal behavior if the perpetrator is part of their ‘tribe.’

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
The government cannot treat different religions differently. The law cannot discriminate between different religions and cannot be selectively enforced.

I think want you meant to say is that a government COULD do so, but does not. Yes?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Matt 7:12

Oh goodie, a quote from scripture!

"12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

Praise God. So, you think that means I should not smash tributes to Satan?

I am not a betting person, but if I was would bet you $100 Matthew would be on my side.