• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surprising lack of knowledge among theists.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
fantôme profane;1186072 said:
I agree, but he has studied science, biology, evolution, zoology etc. When he speaks on these topics I have a great deal of respect for him. I have a great deal of respect for him in the work he has done promoting scientific education. The man is absolutely brilliant in his field. (the key phrase being in his field)
Uncontested. While I don't have the acumen in those fields to assess his brilliance, I don't presume to contradict it, either.

However, on a personal level, that quote about fairyology made me lose all respect for him. As I said, I expect better from a man of science. Ignorance is unavoidable, but it is never a virtue.

As Sunstone says he is not a demon, he is a human. And therefore has a wide range of strengths and weaknesses. I think it is very unfortunate that people can’t seem to understand that. I think that those who dismiss Dawkins out of hand are missing out on one of the greatest minds of our time.
I don't dismiss his work in the fields he has studied.

But it also drives me crazy when other people will quote Dawkins not only as an authority on theology, but as the ultimate authority on theology. Some people will use “The God Delusion” as if it were sacred scripture (never recognizing the irony). Actually it is Dawkins’ fans the bother me much more than Dawkins himself does.

Dawkins brings out such extreme views. If I disagree with something that Dawkins says some of his fans will label me as an irrational fundamentalist Christian. If I agree with something Dawkins has said then some of his detractors will label me as an extreme antireligious bigot. Well in fact I agree with much of what Dawkins has said, and I disagree with much of what Dawkins has said.
Agreed.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Uncontested. While I don't have the acumen in those fields to assess his brilliance, I don't presume to contradict it, either.

However, on a personal level, that quote about fairyology made me lose all respect for him. As I said, I expect better from a man of science. Ignorance is unavoidable, but it is never a virtue.
If the time ever came when you wanted to learn more about these fields, if you were ever looking for someone who could explain them in ways that were accessible to the layperson without oversimplifying or dumbing down the material, if you were ever looking for someone who could explain scientific concepts in an way that is both entertaining and fascination, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone better than Richard Dawkins.

I hope that how you feel about him on a personal level would not rob you of this experience.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
fantôme profane;1186128 said:
If the time ever came when you wanted to learn more about these fields, if you were ever looking for someone who could explain them in ways that were accessible to the layperson without oversimplifying or dumbing down the material, if you were ever looking for someone who could explain scientific concepts in an way that is both entertaining and fascination, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone better than Richard Dawkins.

I hope that how you feel about him on a personal level would not rob you of this experience.
I'll try not to let it. I'm afraid I'm only familiar with his anti-religious books, though. Do you have any recommendations?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Some people who attend Church are not members of a church or religious group, or they don't follow any particular doctrine, but because they do believe in God, they will refer to themselves as Christian. So when people are conducting a census or survey and asking these questions they make ask someone who says they are a Christian, but are not Church members and who have never studied any form of scripture.... So I would conclude that anyone who gives this type of statistics needs to do a closer evaluation before making the statement that this is actual facts.

If you conducted a survey on actual Christians the ones, who attend their Church, study, and participate in other forms of Christian education , These Christians make the difference in playing Church and the Real Christian.............

CLantara

Actually, I just ordered one of his books, even though -- as somebody whose training is in evolutionary biology and not in theology -- he really isn't qualified to comment on religion. :)

Hi, I've just joined this board.

Who would you suggest is qualified to comment on religion if you deem Dawkins not to be?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'll try not to let it. I'm afraid I'm only familiar with his anti-religious books, though. Do you have any recommendations?
Well personally I think his most brilliant book are “The Selfish Gene” and “The Extended Phenotype”, these are the books that really show what a genius the man is. But if you find the evolution/creationism debate interesting then I would recommend “The Blind Watchmaker” which also may be better for someone who is not quite so scientifically inclined.

I would also recommend a series of lectures he has given which you can find on his site:

Growing up in the Universe (It’s a lecture for children, but it is very interesting)

Break the Science Barrier

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
fantôme profane;1186199 said:
Well personally I think his most brilliant book are “The Selfish Gene” and “The Extended Phenotype”, these are the books that really show what a genius the man is. But if you find the evolution/creationism debate interesting then I would recommend “The Blind Watchmaker” which also may be better for someone who is not quite so scientifically inclined.
Thank you. I'll add them to my reading list, though it might be a while before I can get to them.

I would also recommend a series of lectures he has given which you can find on his site:

Growing up in the Universe (It’s a lecture for children, but it is very interesting)

Thanks again. I'll check them out once I've caught up on the forum.

:)

Poisonshady313

Hey man... there's a great deal of Christians who can't tell the difference between the immaculate conception and the virgin birth.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, I've just joined this board.

Who would you suggest is qualified to comment on religion if you deem Dawkins not to be?

Hi Clantara, welcome to RF!

I'd recomend pretty much anything by Joseph Campbell for starters. Campbell gives a great overveiw of the whole concept of religion in general as well as providing an outline for understanding the basic theolgy of the world's religions indiviually.

Would also highly recomend Alan Watts.

logician

fantôme profane;1186199 said:

"The Selfish Gene" is a bit dated, but Dawkins definitely is a preeminent evolutionist, (although I've always enjoyed reading Gould a little more), but on the subject of theism and god's existence, "The God Delusion" is probably the best unbiased book ever written on the subject.

CLantara

I'd recomend pretty much anything by Joseph Campbell for starters. Campbell gives a great overveiw of the whole concept of religion in general as well as providing an outline for understanding the basic theolgy of the world's religions indiviually.

Thank you. Unfortunately I have never heard of these chaps. However, surely their take on religion is purely a matter of their own personal take on it and therefore Dawkins is just as "qualified" to give his?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"The Selfish Gene" is a bit dated, but Dawkins definitely is a preeminent evolutionist, (although I've always enjoyed reading Gould a little more), but on the subject of theism and god's existence, "The God Delusion" is probably the best unbiased book ever written on the subject.
"Unbiased"? Do you even know what that means?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Actually, I just ordered one of his books, even though -- as somebody whose training is in evolutionary biology and not in theology -- he really isn't qualified to comment on religion. :)
Who isn't? Dawkins? or Sloan? or both?

Dawkins is horribly ignorant on the inner workings of specific religions. Sam Harris is a little better but still doesn't get it.

Sloan is acutally not one I have read much about other then the article I linked.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Thank you. Unfortunately I have never heard of these chaps. However, surely their take on religion is purely a matter of their own personal take on it and therefore Dawkins is just as "qualified" to give his?
Everyone has a right to their opinions and the free expression thereof. However, Dawkins' opinion is merely that, unsupported by any study of theology.

Does that make him "unqualified"? If "qualification" is defined as working knowledge, yes. If it means "he should shut up," no.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

I'll add Huston Smith to the list, especially Why Religion Matters.