• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supporters of Violence: Why?

Baydwin

Be it the death penalty, assassination, violent fatwas, freedom fighting/terrorism.

Why, as supporters of violence as a justifiable method/solution, do you find it acceptable?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Who really supports violence?

We don't live in a perfect world. People aren't perfect. For every good person, willing to live life as a pacifist, there's probably one or more people who can't or won't restrain from violent activitiy, be it minute or gradiose.

Violence is an ugly thing but I do think it's justifiable at times, if the purpose is to protect or to ensure freedom and well being for the greater good.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Who really supports violence?

We don't live in a perfect world. People aren't perfect. For every good person, willing to live life as a pacifist, there's probably one or more people who can't or won't restrain from violent activitiy, be it minute or gradiose.

Violence is an ugly thing but I do think it's justifiable at times, if the purpose is to protect or to ensure freedom and well being for the greater good.

The choice isn't confined to violence/pacifism. There is also active non violence.
Violence is never justifiable. In any given war both sides are normally ensuring or protecting freedom and fighting for the greater good.
Violence leads to more violence so as well as not being justifiable it is counter productive and ineffective.

RomCat

You forgot to put in your violence list the
violent act of killing a child in its mother's
womb.

Baydwin

You forgot to put in your violence list the
violent act of killing a child in its mother's
womb.
There are a lot of things I didn't put on the list. I also didn't include murder, rape, boxing or livestock slaughter. The type of violence I'd like to discuss should be implicit from the examples given, apologies if it is not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Be it the death penalty, assassination, violent fatwas, freedom fighting/terrorism.

Why, as supporters of violence as a justifiable method/solution, do you find it acceptable?
"The sword that kills is the sword that gives life."

Sometimes, the best way to protect life is to destroy the things that would destroy life themselves.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

As an evolutionist, I subscribe to the idea of "survival of the fittest," which, as we all know, means that it's right and natural for the strong to destroy the weak. Also, as an atheist, I don't believe in morality, so it's alright for me to take hedonistic pleasure in causing others pain. If I can gain something through causing this pain, then that's even better.

dust1n

Zindīq
“If violence is wrong in America, violence is wrong abroad. If it is wrong to be violent defending black women and black children and black babies and black men, then it is wrong for America to draft us, and make us violent abroad in defense of her. And if it is right for America to draft us, and teach us how to be violent in defense of her, then it is right for you and me to do whatever is necessary to defend our own people right here in this country."

- Malcolm X