• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support a Summer of Peace

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Witness against the ravages of nuclear weaponry and war

In his report to the 2003 General Assembly, UUA President William G. Sinkford recalled his trip to Japan that year. He said, "While I was in Japan, I took a day to visit the Hiroshima Peace Park, the memorial to the 250,000 Japanese who were killed when we dropped a weapon of mass destruction on that city. And at a wonderful dinner at the Tsubaki Grand Shrine after our ritual Misogi cleansing, I finally found the question I needed to ask our Japanese hosts."

Sinkford related the story: "How could you possibly have forgiven us for our use of the atomic bomb?” A member of the Grand Shrine Board, a retired nuclear physicist named Mr. Feruda, responded...He said: “Despite the horrific death toll and the devastation, we actually have come to see our loss as a blessing. You see, if we had not lost that war, the military government would probably still be in power and we would still be out colonizing and appropriating resources to fuel our industrial machine. If we had not lost, the attitude of arrogance that was a part of Japanese life during those times would still be with us, the belief that because we had the might, we had the right to do as we willed."

Sinkford's host continued, "You see, if we had not lost… we would have become you. We would have become you and it would have crippled the soul of our nation."

This year marks the sixtieth anniversary of the dropping of the first atomic bombs on the cities of Hiroshima (August 6) and Nagasaki (August 9), Japan. Those two explosions caused the deaths of over 200,000 people and injured hundreds of thousands more. Today, the danger of another nuclear holocaust still exists. More nations are pursuing nuclear weapons, and tons of nuclear bomb-making material remain unsecured and vulnerable to theft by those who would not be deterred from using a nuclear weapon.

This summer, as war and death continue in Iraq, offers us an opportunity to increase our public witness for peace and prepare for the fall when Congress will debate the The Homeward Bound Act External Site (bipartisan legislation for a phased withdrawal of US troops from Iraq). Several other bills headed for hearings this fall will address nuclear proliferation.

Let us make this summer a summer of peace. There are many intergenerational activities our congregations can participate in that will mobilize congregants to work for peace and the hope of a better world. From building churchyard memorials, to participating in the Shadow Project, to engaging in advocacy with elected representatives, there are ways for you to get involved!

More

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
"You see, if we had not lost… we would have become you. We would have become you and it would have crippled the soul of our nation."

I must say, that gave me chills.

A summer of peace... an excellent message.

Davidium

Peace, love, forgiveness.....

Didn't the Poor son of a carpenter teach that 2000 years ago?

Funny how no one seems to remember that. I guess most people have forgotten about him.

YoUUrs in Faith,

David

Galveston Island, TX

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
A summer of peace - If only we could persuade everyone.........

Great post Maize.:)
Davidium;

"Didn't the Poor son of a carpenter teach that 2000 years ago?

Funny how no one seems to remember that. I guess most people have forgotten about him."

Good point, we can do with a slight 'nudge' every so often........:)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Maize said:
Sinkford related the story: "How could you possibly have forgiven us for our use of the atomic bomb?” ....

Sinkford's host continued, "You see, if we had not lost… we would have become you. We would have become you and it would have crippled the soul of our nation."
So I suppose the Rape of Nanking and various other atrocities committed against Chinese and Korean civilians, and American prisoners of war had no affect on the soul of Japan.

I swear that even us non-Christians still seem to think that suffering is redemptive. That because we made Japan suffer, they are automatically redeemed from rape, torture, and mass-murder, without need for apology.

True peace comes with taking responsibility for one's own actions, not just reiterating one's victim status. And we liberals play right into that that dwelling on our own guilt but never holding others responsible for what they too have done.

Davidium

Yeah, I think his comment was too simplistic and self serving. I was not in that workshop, and it was a well crafted turn of phrase, but it is taking a complex problem and making it simplistic.

The idea of redemption through suffering is indeed rampant. We do glorify suffering, but remember the reason we do has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with power. Suffering as redemption was created so that the elite could give the masses a reason for their lot in life, and keep them from trying to improve it.

YoUUrs in Faith,

David