• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supersessionism and beyond - Can Christianity meaningfully address religious pluralism?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
This is more an issue for Christians to discuss among yourselves. However, I do find is somewhat of an incredible claim to say that for 2000 years the Church didn't follow the doctrines of the Bible and suddenly in the latter half of the 20th century it discovered them.
That's why I said "in this endeavor". I was specifically referring to the persecution of the Jews. On that issue they were not following Jesus or the Bible.

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
God's plan unfolds as God knows and Wills

I see It works like this;

1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" Those Mediators give the Faith to others to Live by.

Notice it says the 'Annointed One' Jesus and Jesus promised to come in a new Name in the Glory of the Father.

It is when we turn our heart to the possibilities that are of God, to me, that is when reconciliation can happen.

I see if we try, yes we all improve over time, much like a good wine.

Regards Tony
And maybe Baha'u'llah is the return of Christ. But then who was Muhammad and The Bab? Two more returns of Christ? But they didn't come in the "Glory" of the father? Also, the Christians might be right... No matter how slim the chances. I'm not going to ever try to be a Bible "scholar", but just with a simple reading of what is said, it seems like the trials and tribulations and God's judgement against the wicked, all happen before the return of Christ.

Also, who does return? I posted a whole bunch of quotes from Revelation in another thread that made it very clear that the "Lamb", or the "Lamb that was slain" was the one that is going to be returning. Who is this Lamb? Is it Baha'u'llah? I've never heard one Baha'i ever claim that he is. But that's who is returning as far as I can see. Also, the context of the "Three Woes", has nothing to due with Muhammad, The Bab and Baha'u'llah. They are bad things that happen to the people of the Earth before this Lamb returns.

The only one that can most easily be called "The Lamb" is Jesus. So, I think there is still a chance that the Christians are right. Plus, The "Glory of God"? It's a title. Like the person going around calling themselves Maitreya. or Yahweh. Those people took those names. Baha'is have very little but themselves to prove that Baha'u'llah's revelation and teachings are true. Apply them the best you can and let's see.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
More like, they have restored their doctrines back to the Bible. In the Bible the Christians did not persecute the Jews. Those throughout the centuries who did persecute the Jews may have touted Christ's name in this endeavour, but they certainly were not following Him.
That is exactly the same claim the JWs make. There are no doubt a number of denominations within Christendom taking the same approach, each rehashing the same tired anti-Semitic rhetoric.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
That is exactly the same claim the JWs make. There are no doubt a number of denominations within Christendom taking the same approach, each rehashing the same tired anti-Semitic rhetoric.
How is speaking against persecuting Jews anti-semetic?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
How is speaking against persecuting Jews anti-semetic?

I was referring to restoration of the ‘original’ Christian doctrines. For example what does your version of ‘true’ Christianity have to say about the salvation of Jews who reject Jesus as their Messiah?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I was referring to restoration of the ‘original’ Christian doctrines. For example what does your version of ‘true’ Christianity have to say about the salvation of Jews who reject Jesus as their Messiah?
You're using this topic to bringing up a different topic, and this is not anti-semetic. Acts 4:12 John 14:6, Acts 2:39 salvation is through Jesus. This applies to all, not to any one group. There were no Christians who persecuted anyone.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
You're using this topic to bringing up a different topic, and this is not anti-semetic. Acts 4:12 John 14:6, Acts 2:39 salvation is through Jesus. This applies to all, not to any one group. There were no Christians who persecuted anyone.

Christianity has a long history of persecution of the Jews culminating in the Jewish holocaust. If you read the OP its certainly relevant to this thread. Contributing to this long history are certain attitudes based on Christian doctrines and beliefs.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Christianity has a long history of persecution of the Jews culminating in the Jewish holocaust. If you read the OP its certainly relevant to this thread. Contributing to this long history are certain attitudes based on Christian doctrines and beliefs.
Not in the days during which the Bible was written.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
That is correct. The persecution of Jews by Christians developed as Christianity gained political power, for example through the Roman Catholic Church in Europe.
Correct, when the Roman empire forced the church and their pagan religion together, along with Rome's military might. As an entity, it was no longer the church, although I'm sure there were still followers of Jesus who survived this merger and did not partake in the carnage of the Jews that followed.

The "church" that persecuted the Jews is not the one Jesus established. They behaved very differently.