• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superman Comic 900 Man of Steel Renounces U.S. Citizenship!

KittensAngel

Boldly Proudly Not PC
ac_cv900_ds-copy.jpg

Superman states in his most recent comic:
“I intend to speak before the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship,” Superman says in a comic book released last week. “I’m tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy. ‘Truth, justice and the American way’ — it’s not enough anymore.”
(source)

Wired Article
Superman Defies God, USA in Action Comics’ Landmark 900th Issue

By: Scott Thill
April 27, 2011

Superman renounces his U.S. citizenship in Action Comics‘ record-breaking 900th issue. But that’s not all the benevolent alien refugee does in the sprawling special issue, which hits stores Wednesday.
The Man of Steel throws down in outer space against a continually misguided Lex Luthor, who’s finally rewarded for his boundless ambition by becoming a petulant god. Supes also throws a pizza party with Lois Lane for his Kryptonian pals, who crowd his couch while chowing grub and chewing scenery. He talks cosmology and philosophy with an interstellar deity beset by guilt over civilizations he was perhaps too selfish to save, and goes head-to-head with a one-time pro athlete who’s become a superheroic show-off.(Full Article)

:sarcastic

Huckabee, (see: "Source" quote above) a possible GOP Presidential Candidate in 2012 speaking out against this is one thing, however it's amazing that DC Comics would take politics to this extent.
The American comic Icon Superman, who made his appearance in 1938 (Issue #1) at a time when America needed a superhero to overcome the adversity present in the aftermath of more than a decade long time line of chaos.
And now, in the new century Superman is renouncing his citizenship, taking umbrage to being used as a political tool?

What the heck are they putting in the Kool Aid at the DC Comics board meetings?

Comic book,yes. Meaningless in the grand scheme of things, yes. However, it's just odd that a traditional heroic iconographic American super hero who, if indeed that insignificant in the grand scheme,is made to take this track as if it's a political propaganda editorial drafted by those responsible for this great anniversary issue of the comic, as a vehicle for descent and anti-American rhetoric in the disguise of a cartoon character that has always been representative of an extra-terrestrial planetary immigrant hero as a naturalized citizen. :p

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So some dorks who write comics have a case of liberal guilt. I'm sure they'll have a lot of influence over the 4 remaining people who still read comics.

Flankerl

I've seen this "news" on a lot of sites and i dont get it.

Are you americans really that bored? Its a comic for gods sake.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I've seen this "news" on a lot of sites and i dont get it.

Are you americans really that bored? Its a comic for gods sake.
But Superman is part of the American political scene, which is why this is posted in the North American Politics forum. Right KittensAngel?

A

angellous_evangellous

Eventually Superman takes over the world anyway and enforces martial law.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Now what would be interesting, had he not died, would be if Captain America renounced his citizenship.
This is interesting though, even Batman is the only comic book character I've ever really liked (due to his lack of super powers and pages of interesting villains like the Joker). I wonder if Colbert will mention this? He already mentioned on one of his segments that a British actor will be playing Superman, and I can only imagine what sort of satirical pro-American spin he could put on this.

Rakhel

all of this because the Iranian government had a problem with Superman protecting the protesters during the Iranian election fiasco. The writers don't want Superman to be used as an American Propaganda machine. So they figure that if he gives up his citizenship it can no longer be used in that way.

Idiots. Like it's that simple. The damage is already done.