• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide

Demonic Kitten

I've been debating on whether to put this up or not because I don't want this to turn into a debate. Something has happened in my life recently that has caused me to question some things. I know that there are many different paths here so this is a question for every one...

What do you think happens to those who commit suicide?

A

angellous_evangellous

Good question.

I think that they receive the healing from God that they couldn't receive in this life.

Suicide is the hardest way to lose someone because it leaves too many questions, and all of these questions suffocate us.

I would rest in the comfort that he is in God's hands.

Demonic Kitten

Good question.

I think that they receive the healing from God that they couldn't receive in this life.

Suicide is the hardest way to lose someone because it leaves too many questions, and all of these questions suffocate us.

I would rest in the comfort that he is in God's hands.

I would like to think that you are right...those that commit suicide are seen as sinners and are potrayed in a negative light and we might never know why he...they commit suicide, but I don't think he's a sinner. I would like to think that he is resting and learning his lessons from this life before he moves on to the next one...that his chances to be joined with the Creator again is not damaged from this. Some may call it being delusional or whatever, but this is what is keeping me from falling apart.

Wirey

Fartist
I've been debating on whether to put this up or not because I don't want this to turn into a debate. Something has happened in my life recently that has caused me to question some things. I know that there are many different paths here so this is a question for every one...

I'd hope that whatever gods exist would recognize that someone in that much dispair is not mentally able to distinguish between right and wrong. I would also strongly recommend against it. Nothing is so bad that life is worth throwing away.

Demonic Kitten

I'd hope that whatever gods exist would recognize that someone in that much dispair is not mentally able to distinguish between right and wrong. I would also strongly recommend against it. Nothing is so bad that life is worth throwing away.

I'm not asking this about myself. I had a family member commit suicide last night and it got me thinking about what happens to those who do commit suicide.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

It is always tricky and, yes, dangerous to discuss such matters in public forums. I recommend that you meet people face-to-face to talk about that if at all possible.

Still, I will dare to say that death is just death. I truly doubt there is anything more to it.

Regardless, I feel that the real question is not so much what happens "after" suicide, but rather how one can make it less appealing. That is to say, how can we raise quality of life?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Thank you for your response. I knew that I would get responses like this when I started this thread.

Well ofcourse, You only ask about the one killing him or herself. And as I do not believe in the soul (I should have added that to my post), dead is all he or she will be.

Demonic Kitten

Well ofcourse, You only ask about the one killing him or herself. And as I do not believe in the soul (I should have added that to my post), dead is all he or she will be.

Ah...now your response makes sense. ^_^ Thank you for that.

I also realize that I tend to leap before I look... I should have spent more time planning this thread. >_<

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not asking this about myself. I had a family member commit suicide last night and it got me thinking about what happens to those who do commit suicide.

Hopefully they suffer no longer. But really, if it did happen, then it did happen. Try not to focus too much on that what can't be changed.

Demonic Kitten

Hopefully they suffer no longer. But really, if it did happen, then it did happen. Try not to focus too much on that what can't be changed.

I know and I try, but this is my family. This incident has also shaken my belief on what happens after we die. I will mourn him, I will celebrate his life, I will cherish my memories of him (even if he did pee on me when he was a newborn) and I will search for my answers. That is the only thing I can do. I can't change anything, this I know, but I also have to accept what has happened...and that will be hardest thing to do now that my belief has been shaken.

Jeremiah

Death, no matter how it comes, gives release to us all. Mourn of the absence of a loved one, but do not worry about their well being in death. Death is a place where pain and suffering can never reach you. While the pain of someone gone from this world is heavy, take some small measure of solace in knowing that they are at least safe now and they will never suffer again.

Last edited:

Demonic Kitten

Death, no matter how it comes, gives release to us all. Mourn of the absence of a loved one, but do not worry about their well being in death. Death is a place where pain and suffering can never reach you. While the pain of someone gone from this world is heavy, take some small measure of solace in knowing that they are at least safe now and they will never suffer again.

That is very true. Thank you!

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think they end up dead.

Thank you for your response. I knew that I would get responses like this when I started this thread.
I wouldn't look at such responses as sarcastic, dismissive, or offensive. I too believe that if someone commits suicide (or dies, period), they're dead, and that's it for them.

But is that so bad? Is the belief that those who commit suicide are healed by a deity a positive assertion? May it not encourage such actions by those that are desperate?

I offer my sympathies for what you must be going through. Take comfort, at least, in the knowledge that whatever this person was suffering from before, they are no longer suffering from. No more sadness for them. They are no more in pain now than you were before you were born.

I think in this matter there is importance in sticking with what one believes is true, while also treading a fine line between making suicide look like an attractive option and hurting grieving family members.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I am so, so sorry for your loss. Suicide is incredibly hard on families - much more so than natural death, or even death in an accident.

My uncle committed suicide at age 40 - he shot himself in the head as his kids stood outside the house waiting for the school bus, and his wife threw herself against the bathroom door screaming and begging him to let her in so they could talk.

My family has dealt with this tragedy in various ways. My aunt will probably never recover emotionally. My cousins seem to have managed to work through the issues, but their family dynamics will never be the same.

Overall, most of our family came to this conclusion, which I think applies to most suicide situations:

My uncle was certainly not "in his right mind." He definitely needed outside help, which he did not seek or receive, in spite of the pleading from his family over the course of the year or so leading up to this. But can we blame him for not getting help? I don't think so. Emotionally ill people don't often make logical decisions.

Can we blame his wife and kids, or larger circle of friends and family? I don't think so. Short of committing someone (which is not an easy thing to do), you just can't expect to be able to control every thought or action of a person who is suffering from emotional or mental illness.

From a theological perspective, I believe that God has great pity and mercy on anyone who would be so distraught and hopeless that they would take their own life. I definitely do not agree with the old school belief that suicide condemns one to hell, because it is a sin we can't ask forgiveness of. I don't believe that God is legalistic like that. I believe He knows our hearts, our fears, our griefs and sorrows - and I believe that He is more holy and just and merciful than we can comprehend.

I feel one hundred percent at peace with the concept of putting our loved ones in God's hands and allowing Him to exercise His perfect holiness and mercy on them. He loves them more than we ever could.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

They die, but I'm assuming you mean after death. Well I don't know what happens to our conscious or spirit after we pass on. I don't think people who commit suicide will end up in hell because I don't think there is a hell. Life after death is one of the great mysteries of existence. I hope that peace and blessings be with my loved ones in this life and the next.