• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Submissiveness

Lightkeeper

Should a wife be submissive to her husband? Should we be submissive to God? If so, how do we know what God wants?

Melody

Submit
1 : to yield oneself to the authority or will of another : SURRENDER
2 : to defer to or consent to abide by the opinion or authority of another

No. Decisions in our family are made by mutual consent. My husband's first wife died when his boys were 2 and 3. We met and married when they were 5 and 6. He's said on numerous occasions that the thing he hated most about not having a wife was that he had nobody to share the responsibility with because one parent always balances out the other. We went through a period of a year when he was working mega overtime and I felt the same.

Neither of us "submits" to the will or authority of the other. We discuss things as equal partners and come up with a decision which is usually a compromise of both of our wants and needs. Sometimes one of us will give in completely to the other just because we appreciate their logic.

Melody

Should a wife be submissive to her husband?
LOL, seems like normally it's the other way around....my Dad always said the first thing I'll learn when I get married is no matter what happens, I'll always be wrong.

Excellent post, Melody! My husband and I have been married 19 yrs. and we are equal partners in outr marriage and in our decision-making. Our relationship is not based on power or control of one over the other but on mutual respect, trust and equality and, of course, love.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
my relationship is founded on our equality.... we love and respect one another.

though sometimes we joke about 'traditional' roles... he jokes that I should cook and clean more and I joke that that 'traditionally' everything in the house belongs to me (including the house itself) and that the day he brings me home a buffalo I'll act like a traditional woman ;)

wa:do

Melody

<<that the day he brings me home a buffalo I'll act like a traditional woman >>

Be careful what you ask for. On Valentine's Day, a year after we were married, my husband walked in the door without even saying "Happy Valentine's." Still being in the early "insecure" stages of my marriage, I sort of whined about the fact that he never brought me flowers anymore.

Without a word, he turned and went out the door. An hour late he walks back in, plunks a brown paper bag on the counter and says, "Don't tell me I never bring you flowers anymore." Inside the bag was a 5 lb bag of wheat and a 5 lb bag of white....flour. Fortunately, for him, his sense of humor is one of the reasons I married him.

Did you stipulate that the buffalo had to still be wearing its skin because our grocery store sells buffalo meat?

Melody

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm talkin the whole buffalo... skin, bone, fat and meat...
he brings me that and I'll learn to tan the hide, make him some cloths and cook it up for him ;)

wa:do