• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Studying Islam and considering converting.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Hi. So I'm studying Islam and - who knows - may even convert. I know that Christianity doesn't make sense to me and I'm not sure it ever did. Islam's theology seems to jive with me better.

So does anyone have tips? Such as how to get started with praying in an Islamic fashion? How do you do salat?

Thanks!

Salam, my brother,

I would like to give you some hadiths as gift.

Muhammad, peace be upon him

I am city of knowledge and Ali is its entarance door, who seeks for knowledge shall enter from the entarance gate.

Ali, peace be upon him

1. “Fear Allah (swt) and you will have no cause to fear anyone.”
  2. “Resignation to the Will of Allah (swt) is the cure of the heart.”
  3. “The word of Allah (swt) is the medicine of the heart.”
  4. “He who knows himself knows Allah.”
  5. “Patience is the fruit of faith.”
  6. “No shelter is safe than piety.”
  7. “A man’s behaviour is the index of his mind.”
  8. “Virtue never dies.”
  9. “Wealth and greed are the roots of all evils.”
  10. “Riches without faith are the greatest poverty.”
Quotes by Imam Ali about Good Character and Knowledge
  1. “The disease of the heart is worse than the disease of the body.”
  2. “To fight against one’s desires is the greatest of all fights.”
  3. “The strongest amongst you is he who subdues his self.”
  4. “A man’s worth depends upon the nobility of his aspirations.”
  5. “Generosity hides shortcomings.”
  6. “The learned lives although he dies.”
  7. “The sum total of excellence is knowledge.”
  8. “To respect the learner is to respect Allah.”
  9. “Knowledge enlivens the soul.”
  10. “A man’s glory from his virtue is greater than the glory of his pedigree.
I also want to make you happier by this story....

Once prophet,pbuh, broke the silence saying that 'OHHhh Where are my dear brothers ...'
Companions said, 'We are here, messengaer of God'
Prophet responded ' You are my dear companions however I was not calling you. I called the men of the last days who will make their faith based on the black on white( based on studing written verses) without even visiting me.

az604

Salam, my brother,

I would like to give you some hadiths as gift.

Muhammad, peace be upon him

I am city of knowledge and Ali is its entarance door, who seeks for knowledge shall enter from the entarance gate.

Ali, peace be upon him

1. “Fear Allah (swt) and you will have no cause to fear anyone.”
  2. “Resignation to the Will of Allah (swt) is the cure of the heart.”
  3. “The word of Allah (swt) is the medicine of the heart.”
  4. “He who knows himself knows Allah.”
  5. “Patience is the fruit of faith.”
  6. “No shelter is safe than piety.”
  7. “A man’s behaviour is the index of his mind.”
  8. “Virtue never dies.”
  9. “Wealth and greed are the roots of all evils.”
  10. “Riches without faith are the greatest poverty.”
Quotes by Imam Ali about Good Character and Knowledge
  1. “The disease of the heart is worse than the disease of the body.”
  2. “To fight against one’s desires is the greatest of all fights.”
  3. “The strongest amongst you is he who subdues his self.”
  4. “A man’s worth depends upon the nobility of his aspirations.”
  5. “Generosity hides shortcomings.”
  6. “The learned lives although he dies.”
  7. “The sum total of excellence is knowledge.”
  8. “To respect the learner is to respect Allah.”
  9. “Knowledge enlivens the soul.”
  10. “A man’s glory from his virtue is greater than the glory of his pedigree.
I also want to make you happier by this story....

Once prophet,pbuh, broke the silence saying that 'OHHhh Where are my dear brothers ...'
Companions said, 'We are here, messengaer of God'
Prophet responded ' You are my dear companions however I was not calling you. I called the men of the last days who will make their faith based on the black on white( based on studing written verses) without even visiting me.

Please post references and if these are authentic or fabricated. Some of the wording in these hadiths sound off.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Please post references and if these are authentic or fabricated. Some of the wording in these hadiths sound off.
Brother, I am not sure what you mean by being fabricated or off.
Please, do research on each of them. I am not in a debate to provide references on books, pages, lines, qouters, rijal,..... Ofcourse, I would be happy to help you if I could afford the time.

az604

Brother, I am not sure what you mean by being fabricated or off.
Please, do research on each of them. I am not in a debate to provide references on books, pages, lines, qouters, rijal,..... Ofcourse, I would be happy to help you if I could afford the time.

You don't need to be in a debate to provide references. Even the book name would be sufficient.

The Prophet ﷺ said that "Telling lies about me is not like telling lies about anyone else. Whoever tells lies about me deliberately, let him take his place in Hell." Narrated by al-Bukhari, 1229

I mention this because the majority of shia hadeeth are fabricated and the last hadeeth you mentioned sounds like you wrote it from memory and distorted it in the meantime.

The real Hadith can be found in Muslim, 249.

It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) went out to the graveyard and said:

“Peace be upon you, abode of believing people. If Allah wills, we shall join you soon. Would that I had seen our brothers.”

They said:

“O Messenger of Allah, are we not your brothers?”

He said: “Rather, you are my Companions. My brothers are those who have not come yet. And I will reach the Hawd (the “drinking lake”) before them.”

They said: “O Messenger of Allah, how will you know those of your Ummah who come after you?”

He said: “Don’t you think that if a man has a horse with a white blaze and white feet among horses that are completely black, he will recognize his horse?” They said: “Of course.”

Anyways. If you could provide a reference for it basing faith on black and white instead of the horses colours being black and white then that will be good but otherwise it sounds like you got confused and mixed it up.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
You don't need to be in a debate to provide references. Even the book name would be sufficient.

The Prophet ﷺ said that "Telling lies about me is not like telling lies about anyone else. Whoever tells lies about me deliberately, let him take his place in Hell." Narrated by al-Bukhari, 1229

I mention this because the majority of shia hadeeth are fabricated and the last hadeeth you mentioned sounds like you wrote it from memory and distorted it in the meantime.

The real Hadith can be found in Muslim, 249.

It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) went out to the graveyard and said:

“Peace be upon you, abode of believing people. If Allah wills, we shall join you soon. Would that I had seen our brothers.”

They said:

“O Messenger of Allah, are we not your brothers?”

He said: “Rather, you are my Companions. My brothers are those who have not come yet. And I will reach the Hawd (the “drinking lake”) before them.”

They said: “O Messenger of Allah, how will you know those of your Ummah who come after you?”

He said: “Don’t you think that if a man has a horse with a white blaze and white feet among horses that are completely black, he will recognize his horse?” They said: “Of course.”

Anyways. If you could provide a reference for it basing faith on black and white instead of the horses colours being black and white then that will be good but otherwise it sounds like you got confused and mixed it up.

Keep calm brother and relax,....
I asked you to do research and I saw the out put of your research. I suggest you working on research technics.

Firstly, I wrote the mentioned hadith from my mind as I had memorised it before.
Here is also another hadith with the same concept. I also paste the Arabic version.

قال رسول الله - صلی الله علیه و آله - یا علی ! و اعلم ان اعجب الناس ایمانا و اعظمهم یقینا قوم یکونون فی آخر الزمان ، لم یلحقوا النبی فحجبت عنهم الحجه فامنوا علی سواد علی بیاض .
Prophet, pbuh, says to Ali,a.s.
Oh, Ali, the wondering people in faith and greatest in Yaqin(highest certainty in belive) will be those who will live in the last days and will not see any prophet but will make their belifs based on some black on white.

Now, are you still thinking that such people will make their faith looking at some black horses on some white horses?

Secondly, your approach doesnt seem wise to me. You mentioned a Hadith from Muhammad, pbuh, in which he says if some body tells lies about him he will go to Hell. Which indirectly calls me a lair. Also, your judgment on Shia books is also not wise and with full rspect I call it a closed minded view. I as Shia Muslim sometimes use Sunni books to hear from my ptophet, pbuh. His sayings are worth even searthing Sunni books.

Thirdly, it is strange for me that you qoute hadith from some Iranians, like Bukhari and Muslim and call the rest Iranians as forgers and hadith fabricators.....
How come,.... all Iranian Sunni narrators are good but Iranian Shia narrators are Hadith fabricators?
Almost all of the hadith books which you are proud of are written by Iranians. they used to think in Persion as I do, and used o translate the words in their minds as I do.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
By the way do a comprehensive research on this guy, Abu Hurairah.

You quote Hadith from such a persion and you talk about fabrication?

Even Aisha had called him a Hadith fabricator, based on Sunni books.

I have also memorised it.
Aisha , says to Abu Hurairah,.

عن عائشة، انها دعت أبا هریرة، فقالت له: یا أبا هریرة! ما هذه الأحادیث التی تبلغنا انك تحدث بها عن النبی صلى الله علیه و آله؟ هل سمعت الا ما سمعنا و هل رأیت الا ما رأینا؟ قال: یا أماه! انه كان یشغلك عن رسول الله صلى الله علیه و آله المرآة و المكحلة و التصنع لرسول الله صلى الله علیه و آله و انى و الله ما كان یشغلنی عنه شئ *هذا حدیث صحیح الاسناد و لم یخرجاه*

الكتاب: المستدرك على الصحیحین ، المؤلف: حاکم نیشابوری (المتوفى: 405هـ) ،الناشر: دار الكتب العلمیة - بیروت ، ج 3 ، ص 582

az604

I am calm. I don't know why you would see it otherwise.

This isn't a debate, I just asked for your sources and you clarified to me that you misquoted a hadith because of your memory and changed the wording.

Shia books such as al-kaafi are notorious for being weak and fabricated. Read it for yourself and you will see some ridiculous things in there.

Also, ‘Aisha – RA- never accused Abu Hurairah of lying or fabricating hadith. This is something that is only found in a shia book and it has no chain of narrators.

And why does it matter that they are persian or arab or chinese or indian? This is a matter of religion and it is clear. Just because you have iranian scholars like bukhari and iranian devils like kamal al hydari does not mean that are equal due to blood. The ahlus sunnah has a science behind the hadeeth and they practice it well, unlike the shia. that is it and it is simple.

Please stop posting hadiths from memory without mentioning the source. You clearly haven't memorized them if you keep making big mistakes in transmitting them.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
I am calm. I don't know why you would see it otherwise.

This isn't a debate, I just asked for your sources and you clarified to me that you misquoted a hadith because of your memory and changed the wording.

Shia books such as al-kaafi are notorious for being weak and fabricated. Read it for yourself and you will see some ridiculous things in there.

Also, ‘Aisha – RA- never accused Abu Hurairah of lying or fabricating hadith. This is something that is only found in a shia book and it has no chain of narrators.

And why does it matter that they are persian or arab or chinese or indian? This is a matter of religion and it is clear. Just because you have iranian scholars like bukhari and iranian devils like kamal al hydari does not mean that are equal due to blood. The ahlus sunnah has a science behind the hadeeth and they practice it well, unlike the shia. that is it and it is simple.

Please stop posting hadiths from memory without mentioning the source. You clearly haven't memorized them if you keep making big mistakes in transmitting them.
I haven't made any mistakes from memory.

You would better know that Mustadrak of Hakim al Neishabouri is a Sunni source. You have rejected your own book.

Redicoulos things exist also in your top books

Sakeenah

Hi. So I'm studying Islam and - who knows - may even convert. I know that Christianity doesn't make sense to me and I'm not sure it ever did. Islam's theology seems to jive with me better.

So does anyone have tips? Such as how to get started with praying in an Islamic fashion? How do you do salat?

Thanks!

Hey SF

How did I miss this thread! What was I doing with my life! :p
I haven't been active for awhile so I'm sorry for my late reply. I would recommend you to start with reading the Quran, exegesis of the Quran and the biography of the prophet Muhammad peace be upon him.
Here are some websites I recommend to those interested in learning more about Islam
www.whyislam.org
www.iera.org
www.onereason.org
muhammad: a biography of the prophet by karen amstrong
www.yaqeeninstitute.org

There are some salah tutorials on youtube. I would say start learning the prayer step by step, If you're interested I can pm you a few prayer tutorials for beginners.

The advice I always give to new Muslims is..don't overwhelm yourself by doing too much. It's better to take it slow, focus on your relationship with God and purify your intention in everything you do,talk to God, put your trust in Him, and He will guide you on your path towards Him. There are people that are so focused on actions that their worship becomes just a habit. And because it's just a habit it doesn't increase their faith,happiness and tranquility. It's really important to focus on building a strong foundation in regards to Islamic knowledge and a strong relationship with God.

I've helped a few converts in their begin phase so if you need any help feel free to pm me.

May Allah guide you to what is best for you

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Hi S.F.

I haven't been around lately but this is wonderful news. How has it been progresin, I hope all is well.

If you need any help or anything whatsoever let us know by posting here or PM.

All the best.

zahra67

hi.

i congratulate to you this great achievement and this fact that Allah selected you for the best and final revelation for salvation of mankind.

i also refer to you and others some explanation about the verse of wilayat and congratulate to you and other muslims eyd of ghadir which was two days ago!

sorry for the delay,
because i was not active in rf for months.

The Verse of Wilayat and its Revelation in Imam Ali’s Honour
“Your (real) leaders are (no less than) God, His Apostle and the (fellowship of) believers those who establish regular prayers and regular charity when they bow down humbly (in worship).”
The Quran relies upon the word innamah which in Arabic refers to exclusiveness: the Wali and leader of the Muslims is exclusive to three people: God, the Holy Prophet and those who have found faith and who pay the zakat at the time of the ruku’.
There is no doubt that what is meant by leadership is not the friendship of Muslims with one another because friendship with one another does not need to have the word unconditional added to it. All Muslims are friends with each other even though, at the time of the ruku’, zakat is not paid. Thus wilayat’ here means the spiritual and material leadership, in particular, since it is placed along side the wilayat of God and the wilayat of the Prophet.
This point is also clear that the above verse, with the situation in which it appears, refers to a particular person who has paid the zakat while in the state of ruku’ because otherwise it is not necessary that one pay the zakat while in that state; this is a sign, not a description.
The totality of this, then, shows that the above verse refers to the meaningful story of Ali, peace be upon him, in particular, since he was in the midst of the ruku’ when a needy person came to the mosque of the Prophet to seek help. No one answered the needy person but in that state, Ali, peace be upon him, with his right hand, indicated his finger with a ring on it. The needy person took the valuable ring. The Prophet saw what was going on with the corner of his eye. After his ritual prayer ended, he raised his head and said, “God! The brother of Moses has asked that you extend his spirit and make things easy for him and cut the difficulty of his tongue, and have Aaron be his helper and assistant…O God! I am Mohammad, the Prophet, and the person you selected, opened my chest and made my work easy and from among my family, have Ali be my helper so that through him, my back will be strong and firm…”
The Prayer of the Holy Prophet had not as yet ended when Gabriel appeared and revealed the verse above. It is interesting to note that many of the recorders of the Traditions who are famous Sunnis, and their historians and commentators, say that this verse refers to Hazrat Ali and more than 10 of the Companions of the Holy Prophet pbuh and hp.
Source: پایگاه اطلاع رسانی دفتر مرجع عالیقدر حضرت آیت الله العظمی مکارم شیرازی

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Just an FYI: I'm not going to be converting to Islam. After studying it a bit and considering, I've decided that it is not for me. I would appreciate it if people stop messaging me and spamming me about it. Thank you.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Just an FYI: I'm not going to be converting to Islam. After studying it a bit and considering, I've decided that it is not for me. I would appreciate it if people stop messaging me and spamming me about it. Thank you.

I'm not surprised...I was just waiting for you to say "it's not for me."

zahra67

Dude, this is the Islam DIR.
hi.
Allah says in verse 70 of chapter 25:
Except him who repents and believes and does a good deed; so these are they of whom Allah changes the evil deeds to good ones; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
and in verse 53 of chapter 39:
Say: O my servants! who have acted extravagantly against their own souls, do
not despair of the mercy of Allah; surely Allah forgives the faults altogether;
surely He is the Forgiving the Merciful.
also in verses 114 and 115 of chapter 11:
And keep up prayer in the two parts of the day and in the first hours ofthe night; surely good deeds take away evil deeds this is a reminder to the mindful.
And be patient, for surely Allah does not waste the reward of the good-doers.

every chapter in the quran starts with the phrase:
in the name of Allah the all-merciful, the most merciful.

which means the mercy of God is infinite,
the purpose of creation is recieving divine infinite and special mercy.

and the goal of all prophets and revelation of all divine books, is helping all mankind to achieve special mercy of Allah,
prosperity and salvation in this life and hereafter.