• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study Links Contraceptive Use To Risk Of Depression

Koldo

Outstanding Member
That's why you take your temprature :)

wow, it is as if sex shouldn't be what keeps couples together :p If a male can't handle wearing a condom sometimes for my wellbeing, not my type of male.

Yes, it may be, but i am hoping it will become the norm once the ball gets rolling.

That's not quite the problem. The problem is not getting men to wear condoms.
The problem is getting men to trust your contraceptive choice.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oral contraceptives that combine two key hormones, a type widely used by Americans, increased women's rate of taking antidepressants by 23 percent. Among teens using these contraceptives, the rate nearly doubled.

More than one million women were tracked over a 10-year period through a national database. The participants, all aged between 15 and 34 years old, did not suffer from major mental health disorders.

According to the study, among 15 to 19 year-old females, those taking oral combination birth control pills were diagnosed with depression at a 70 percent higher rate than non-users. The patch and vaginal rings posed a particular risk to young women, tripling the rate of depression.

Progestin-only birth control created even higher rates of depression and anti-depressant use. Oral forms of the drug doubled the use of antidepressants among young women. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) like Mirena, nearly tripled the number of both depression diagnoses and anti-depressant use among the study's younger participants.

More
Unwanted pregnancy leading to single motherhood or abortion leads to more depression imo.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I wonder if it's the pills that cause or if it's mostly just correlation. To be fair, it's not all that far fetched to think that taking hormones on a daily basis could affect someone. I

Anecdotally, I had depression long before taking birth control pills. They've been helpful for physical problems that I have, so to me they're a relief. I also don't want to be pregnant but there's other ways to deal with that, if it was the only thing I wanted out of this.

Not everyone can have them though. I read that they can make painful and/or heavy periods worse.
That's weird. A friend of mine uses an IUD to curb her extremely heavy bleeding. Without it, she loses a lot more blood.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That always sounds like it requires a schedule, hiring a secretary, and an appointment book.
It works the other way too.

A couple I know were trying desperately to have a baby. They'd been trying for years, and everyone they knew were aware of that.

So, Kenny would get phone calls at work from his wife Joyce. "My thermometer says 'NOW'!"
So he'd tell his boss and co-workers that he had to drop working on whatever he was doing and run home for sex.

It worked for everybody.
Tom

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
:)

Or we can all be taught how to work with our bodies, we are only fertile one week of the month in our natural cycle. It seems that would be the best way rather than trying to trick our bodies into thinking we're pregnant

and plus we naturally grow a better relationship with our bodies.
we have machines now to help us/

"Daysy will show you if you are fertile or not with an accuracy of 99.3%. It is all natural and free of side effects."

product

Despite these claims, rhythm methods preformed by people who 'know their bodies better,' as they claim, still get pregnant far more often than 1% of the time because neither the method, nor the bodies 'tells' is consistently reliable.

And that's even assuming, once again, the person isn't suffering from hormone disruption as a hormone disorder or complication from another illness, including illnesses like clinical depression, which can impact menstrual cycles and fertility. Who I would strongly caution against using the rhythm method as their body doesn't fit the neat box it demands.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
That's weird. A friend of mine uses an IUD to curb her extremely heavy bleeding. Without it, she loses a lot more blood.

Ones with hormones do help since it's pretty much the same thing as birth control pills. However, I read that non-hormonal ones (copper) can make things worse. Maybe it helps her, I don't know. I'm just going by what I found online since I was looking into a long term solution, since I don't want to have children.