• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study Links Contraceptive Use To Risk Of Depression

Electra

Oral contraceptives that combine two key hormones, a type widely used by Americans, increased women's rate of taking antidepressants by 23 percent. Among teens using these contraceptives, the rate nearly doubled.

More than one million women were tracked over a 10-year period through a national database. The participants, all aged between 15 and 34 years old, did not suffer from major mental health disorders.

According to the study, among 15 to 19 year-old females, those taking oral combination birth control pills were diagnosed with depression at a 70 percent higher rate than non-users. The patch and vaginal rings posed a particular risk to young women, tripling the rate of depression.

Progestin-only birth control created even higher rates of depression and anti-depressant use. Oral forms of the drug doubled the use of antidepressants among young women. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) like Mirena, nearly tripled the number of both depression diagnoses and anti-depressant use among the study's younger participants.

More

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Oral contraceptives that combine two key hormones, a type widely used by Americans, increased women's rate of taking antidepressants by 23 percent. Among teens using these contraceptives, the rate nearly doubled.

More than one million women were tracked over a 10-year period through a national database. The participants, all aged between 15 and 34 years old, did not suffer from major mental health disorders.

According to the study, among 15 to 19 year-old females, those taking oral combination birth control pills were diagnosed with depression at a 70 percent higher rate than non-users. The patch and vaginal rings posed a particular risk to young women, tripling the rate of depression.

Progestin-only birth control created even higher rates of depression and anti-depressant use. Oral forms of the drug doubled the use of antidepressants among young women. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) like Mirena, nearly tripled the number of both depression diagnoses and anti-depressant use among the study's younger participants.

More

They'd better get some new contraceptive pills out quick. :)

Electra

They'd better get some new contraceptive pills out quick. :)

:)

Or we can all be taught how to work with our bodies, we are only fertile one week of the month in our natural cycle. It seems that would be the best way rather than trying to trick our bodies into thinking we're pregnant

and plus we naturally grow a better relationship with our bodies.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

More

I use a Condom and the more I use the less depressed I am. I would recommend it as a selling point to all.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Or we can all be taught how to work with our bodies, we are only fertile one week of the month in our natural cycle. It seems that would be the best way rather than trying to trick our bodies into thinking we're pregnant

Way too unreliable. It only takes one irregular cycle to screw you over.
Plus it also means having no sex at all during a fourth of the month. Not to mention you need a male partner that agrees to this. This might be too bothersome to some women.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you use the brand with the Prozac laced spermacide, or did you spring for the Zoloft, Bobhikes?

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member

Since I already know that women are extremely fundemental in the Christian story I would say that's a good idea, since it's been nearly 2,000 years since there were two women who had a decent relationship with their bodies at the same time.!!! Then again it is a religion dominated by women taught by men so it's wierd that way anyway. Culture ha!!!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

More
Did the study address whether the contraceptives caused depression,
or whether contraceptive users were independently more prone to
depression?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I wonder if it's the pills that cause or if it's mostly just correlation. To be fair, it's not all that far fetched to think that taking hormones on a daily basis could affect someone. I

Anecdotally, I had depression long before taking birth control pills. They've been helpful for physical problems that I have, so to me they're a relief. I also don't want to be pregnant but there's other ways to deal with that, if it was the only thing I wanted out of this.

I'd forgo the chemicals and go for an IUD.

Not everyone can have them though. I read that they can make painful and/or heavy periods worse.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The rhythm method? I understand that that was all that they had in the late minstrel period.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like a correlation, not a causation. We're finding that many, many more women have hormone disorders like polycystic ovarian syndrome (up to 20% of women) which can cause depression, and hormone BC is a treatment for their PCOS. And that's just one of the hormone disorders that effect menstrution for which hormone BC is prescribed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

That always sounds like it requires a schedule, hiring a secretary, and an appointment book.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Except that studies have shown many pregnancies using that method.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I'd forgo the chemicals and go for an IUD.

I personally know three women and one man that had problems with it.

It perforated something in one friend.

Another got pregnant with it, which causes problems.

In the third, - her well endowed partner's member was pierced by the part that hangs down for retrieval purposes. o_O :D

Not a good selling point. :p

Electra

Way too unreliable. It only takes one irregular cycle to screw you over.
Plus it also means having no sex at all during a fourth of the month. Not to mention you need a male partner that agrees to this. This might be too bothersome to some women.

That's why you take your temprature :)

wow, it is as if sex shouldn't be what keeps couples together :p If a male can't handle wearing a condom sometimes for my wellbeing, not my type of male.

Yes, it may be, but i am hoping it will become the norm once the ball gets rolling.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Ahh the rythym method. Or as my School Nurse (and various Biology teachers) used to call it, pregnancy.