• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student Protests Against Israel Are Wonderful

Ignatius A

I like seeing that a significant segment of society
is bucking the status quo of unqualified for Israel's
apartheid, human rights violations, fleecing US
taxpayers, & conducting genocide.
Students are often a bellwether. I hope this
portends a shift away from USA supporting vile
regimes.
Does Israel have a right to defend itself?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
They seem to me to be driven by over simplistic woke ignorance. A lot of it I think is based in the "oppressed vs. oppressor" worldview.

Or they identify the struggle of, and sympathize with, the tens of thousands of Palestinian civilians the IDF has killed, injured, and/or starved so far. It is possible that some of those students may even know someone from Palestine or have family there themselves.

Not everyone who disagrees with one-sided support for Israel has to be "ignorant" or "simplistic." Many people who are quite capable of thinking and assessing what they see arrive at conclusions that differ from yours.

Ignatius A

A question I've answered in the affirmative
so very many times here that I sense it's
purely rhetorical, & that you're arguing
that genocide of Palestinians is "self defense".
Where did i make such an argument? Copy and paste my words. What you sense means nothing to me. If as you claim Israel has a right to defend itself explain how they do something injuring civilians that Hamas uses as shields. Be specific.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In the ME it is Israel who is oppressed.

A nuclear power backed by many powerful countries including three other nuclear powers—the US, the UK, and France—is not "oppressed." It is fully in charge of its affairs, has a strong and extensively armed and funded military, and has a lot of geopolitical, financial, and military support from its allies, which include some of the world's most powerful countries (including the world's most powerful country, the US).

Whether a country faces some threats from far weaker actors, such as non-state militant groups, is different from being oppressed, which typically implies more powerful or at least peer actors overseeing and enacting oppression.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Or they identify the struggle of, and sympathize with, the tens of thousands of Palestinian civilians the IDF has killed, injured, and/or starved so far. It is possible that some of those students may even know someone from Palestine or have family there themselves.

Not everyone who disagrees with one-sided support for Israel has to be "ignorant" or "simplistic." Many people who are quite capable of thinking and assessing what they see arrive at conclusions that differ from yours.

It is ignorant and simplistic to say that it is Israel that has been oppressing Palestinians, full stop. I can agree that Palestinians have been oppressed, and that should concern us.

But it's crucial to see that the true oppressors here are the Islamists. But it's not fashionable to criticize Islamists. I imagine most of the people protesting against Israel would claim that to criticize Islamists is "racist". Which of course would be another ignorant claim.

Islamists have been oppressing Palestinians for decades. Where was the outrage against this during these decades? Crickets.

And honestly I don't think anti-semitism is the main driving force here. I'm sure it's an aspect, but I think the far greater driving force is this half-baked, overly simplistic, narrowly focused, historically ignorant "oppressed vs. oppressor" worldview.

Ignatius A

A nuclear power backed by many powerful countries including three other nuclear powers—the US, the UK, and France—is not "oppressed." It is fully in charge of its affairs, has a strong and extensively armed and funded military, and has a lot of geopolitical, financial, and military support from its allies.

Whether a country faces some threats from far weaker actors, such as non-state militant groups, is different from being oppressed, which typically implies more powerful or at least peer actors overseeing and enacting oppression.
So the message to Israel is, sit down shut up and dont complain. The Jews did that once before.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How many non-citizen Hamas members have been found?
I have seen protesters identify as Palestinians. I have not seen any identify as being Hamas. He may have conflated the two. Sadly I saw all of this coming when Hamas attacked Israel the way that they did. I knew that the Palestinian people would suffer more than Hamas. Overreaction by the Israelis only made a bad situation worse.