• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student Grants to be Scrapped (Budget 2015).

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
It's been revealed that the Student Grant for families earning less than 41K a year will be converted into a Student Loan. But before we hit the panic button, what does this actually mean?

• It only affects first time undergraduates starting Sept. 2015.

• The actual cost to the student remains the same.

• You only repay the loan if you're earning 21K a year or over. If you earn 21-22K you repay around £90. If you earn 31K or more (which is £10,000 over the threshold) you end up paying around £900K.

• The threshold is set to be RAISED in 2017, so people earning 21-22K will repay nothing.

• Most low-income graduates will never repay anything, whilst high-income graduates end up repaying a lot more.

This means that, (according to figures by Ofqual) in reality, poorer people repay nothing of their student debt while the 'rich kids' who end up in the 'top jobs' end up repaying more.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It was always like this wasn't it? It doesn't appear to have changed. I've never heard of a student "grant" before. They are called loans.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Are the grants like they are in America in that it is money that students do not pay back?
Technically you should pay back a loan, but not a grant. In the UK, where I live, I've never heard of a studnet grant, only a student loan.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Are the grants like they are in America in that it is money that students do not pay back?

You don't repay grants. You repay loans.

But in reality (in the UK) most people don't have to repay the loans either. And if they do, it's because they're in a bracket to be able to afford to pay it back.

dust1n

Zindīq
• You only repay the loan if you're earning 21K a year or over. If you earn 21-22K you repay around £90. If you earn 31K or more (which is £10,000 over the threshold) you end up paying around £900K.

...What? 900k?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You don't repay grants. You repay loans.

But in reality (in the UK) most people don't have to repay the loans either. And if they do, it's because they're in a bracket to be able to afford to pay it back.
That's how it is here, except loans are repayed by all.