• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strongest Sense

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For the last couple years, I was struggling with an idea. A horrible idea. At least, for someone who had spend so much time in related activities...

I was starting to think I didn't like music anymore.

Truth be told, I'm picky about music. Really, really picky. Always have been. Maybe I was just getting pickier? I tried to play my very favorites only, but they still gave me mild anxiety. So, I started to accept that this is just how it is now...

Until I was bellowing out some SOAD in the van the other day, very much enjoying it. And it made me wonder why I could immerse myself in the van, but it freaks me out in the house...

Music shuts down my sense of sound to the outside world. A sense I rely on, and rely on a lot. My house is of a very chaotic nature. My ears are sharp. With a quick listen, I can tell you where everyone in the house is, what they're doing, sometimes even how they're feeling(based off of quickness/slowness and frequency of sounds, and what's normal for them). It freaks my oldest out a bit, but its extremely vital in the running of this household. So, no music. Not in the house. Save it for the van.

But it wasn't until I made this realization that it hit home how dependent on my ears I am. You could blindfold me, and while I'd be very bored, I'd still function. Could probably go for a walk, maybe even to the gas station for a candy bar. But I need my ears.

Which of your sense are you most reliant on? Why?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
They say that about a quarter of the human brain is used for sight alone. I believe as a species we are starting to lose our sight because of this, and although it is probably the most useful sense we have, more and more people are becoming near-sighted being inside more often than they should. It is a scientific fact by now that while staring at the sun can cause blindness, indirect sunlight helps people see better. There's a good amount of people that develop near-sightedness that go blind later in life, if at least clinically blind.

I wear glasses to help improve my near-sightedness. They say that there are three ways people can learn something: from sight, from hearing and from tactical (touch). In my middle school we had studies and I scored high in both sight and hearing learning, while I scored middle in touch. Most people's strongest sense is sight, because sight itself can replace hearing, with captains for muting the TV or hear-impaired. If you lose your sight though, hearing can only go so far to replace it.

So even though I am required to wear glasses so see correctly, as my vision is 100+/100+ on eye exams, I would still say that it's my strongest sense. Even right now I am focused on writing this and using my vision to make corrections, while listening to music, and the music just becomes background fodder as I pay attention to composing this message. And as far as tactical learning goes, I often don't even recognize what I'm holding if I can't see what it is I am holding.

@JustGeorge You might think your strongest sense is hearing, but most likely you use more of your brain for sight alone.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
They say that about a quarter of the human brain is used for sight alone. I believe as a species we are starting to lose our sight because of this, and although it is probably the most useful sense we have, more and more people are becoming near-sighted being inside more often than they should. It is a scientific fact by now that while staring at the sun can cause blindness, indirect sunlight helps people see better. There's a good amount of people that develop near-sightedness that go blind later in life, if at least clinically blind.

I wear glasses to help improve my near-sightedness. They say that there are three ways people can learn something: from sight, from hearing and from tactical (touch). In my middle school we had studies and I scored high in both sight and hearing learning, while I scored middle in touch. Most people's strongest sense is sight, because sight itself can replace hearing, with captains for muting the TV or hear-impaired. If you lose your sight though, hearing can only go so far to replace it.

So even though I am required to wear glasses so see correctly, as my vision is 100+/100+ on eye exams, I would still say that it's my strongest sense. Even right now I am focused on writing this and using my vision to make corrections, while listening to music, and the music just becomes background fodder as I pay attention to composing this message. And as far as tactical learning goes, I often don't even recognize what I'm holding if I can't see what it is I am holding.

@JustGeorge You might think your strongest sense is hearing, but most likely you use more of your brain for sight alone.

I would agree its most used. Just maybe not always most useful. For me, anyways.

That's interesting, what you say about needing to use sight, hearing, and touch. Ever since I was a kid, if shown an item, I'll usually pick it up, or run my hands over it... I would say I can't see it otherwise... I knew those weren't the correct words, but it must indicate some kind of process within the brain that was difficult to complete without touching.

exchemist

Veteran Member
For the last couple years, I was struggling with an idea. A horrible idea. At least, for someone who had spend so much time in related activities...

I was starting to think I didn't like music anymore.

Truth be told, I'm picky about music. Really, really picky. Always have been. Maybe I was just getting pickier? I tried to play my very favorites only, but they still gave me mild anxiety. So, I started to accept that this is just how it is now...

Until I was bellowing out some SOAD in the van the other day, very much enjoying it. And it made me wonder why I could immerse myself in the van, but it freaks me out in the house...

Music shuts down my sense of sound to the outside world. A sense I rely on, and rely on a lot. My house is of a very chaotic nature. My ears are sharp. With a quick listen, I can tell you where everyone in the house is, what they're doing, sometimes even how they're feeling(based off of quickness/slowness and frequency of sounds, and what's normal for them). It freaks my oldest out a bit, but its extremely vital in the running of this household. So, no music. Not in the house. Save it for the van.

But it wasn't until I made this realization that it hit home how dependent on my ears I am. You could blindfold me, and while I'd be very bored, I'd still function. Could probably go for a walk, maybe even to the gas station for a candy bar. But I need my ears.

I'm not sure the music issue is to do with hearing being your strongest sense. Music just is something that inspires very strong likes and dislikes in people. This is why I do not understand why supermarkets persist in pumping out hideous cheesy "Christmas" muzak around this time of year - unless the idea is to get people out of the shop as fast as possible, which is certainly the effect it has on me.

But increasingly I find I can't have music on when I need to concentrate. I can't have it on when driving for instance - something I used to do a lot when I was younger. Nowadays I find I focus on the music and stop enough paying attention to the road in front and what's going on in the mirrors. Maybe it's ageing, or maybe I just listen more intently to music than I did earlier in my life, for some reason.

P.S. Do me a favour and please change that avatar!:confused:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure the music issue is to do with hearing being your strongest sense. Music just is something that inspires very strong likes and dislikes in people. This is why I do not understand why supermarkets persist in pumping out hideous cheesy "Christmas" muzak around this time of year - unless the idea is to get people out of the shop as fast as possible, which is certainly the effect it has on me.

But increasingly I find I can't have music on when I need to concentrate. I can't have it on when driving for instance - something I used to do a lot when I was younger. Nowadays I find I focus on the music and stop enough paying attention to the road in front and what's going on in the mirrors. Maybe it's ageing, or maybe I just listen more intently to music than I did earlier in my life, for some reason.

P.S. Do me a favour and please change that avatar!:confused:

I think the music issue stemmed from when the music when on, I couldn't heard what was going on in the house, so I'd get mild anxiety. I thought the problem was the music itself, but it wasn't. I just need my ears to keep chaos to a dull roar. I'd enjoy the very same song in the van(where there was less chaos, because its all buckled in).

But I would agree, music does inspire very strong like/dislike responses. A struggle I have with my husband... no matter how he explains this or that song, or why its a good song, I just don't like it.

Sorry about the avatar... I forget some people can't stomach American breakfast cereal. That stuff is pretty gross.... I hope this one is more to your liking. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
R.da8f7a76718200a523a773452742d20f

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Eyes. My hearing is failing and it doesn't bother me that much. It seems to annoy those around me more than it does me.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think the music issue stemmed from when the music when on, I couldn't heard what was going on in the house, so I'd get mild anxiety. I thought the problem was the music itself, but it wasn't. I just need my ears to keep chaos to a dull roar. I'd enjoy the very same song in the van(where there was less chaos, because its all buckled in).

But I would agree, music does inspire very strong like/dislike responses. A struggle I have with my husband... no matter how he explains this or that song, or why its a good song, I just don't like it.

Sorry about the avatar... I forget some people can't stomach American breakfast cereal. That stuff is pretty gross.... I hope this one is more to your liking. ;)
Thanks. That's a lot better. ;)

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Although I rely more on my sight and hearing, all five of my senses are highly tuned because I am an empath and an HSP. My senses are affected in this way since I spend a lot of time with my family and am surrounded by other people when I go out. In addition to being able to see the auras of other people, I can also "read" a room when I first enter it, and I notice changes in facial expressions, changes in voice tones, or how inconsistent someone's body language is from what they are actually saying. I also have the sixth sense, which enables me to see, hear, and feel supernatural occurrences around me that other people (without the sixth sense) can't see, hear, or feel. I don't want to derail the thread, so if anyone is interested, I described what it's like to be me in another post here.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I like music, but I am more visual than anything else. Unfortunately, visual is not the best thing to be in my house. :(

It is usually so quiet here you can hear a pin drop, except once a day when the raccoons are pining away at the door for food, or when animals are running around on the roof, in the attic, and in the walls, and of course cats running around the house. If there were no animals there would be no noise, except me talking to myself. :rolleyes:

I keep the TV on whenever I am awake, either the Music Choice channel with Easy Listening, or programs I like to watch.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Eyes. My hearing is failing and it doesn't bother me that much. It seems to annoy those around me more than it does me.

Hubby is the same, he had a medical excuse for not listening to me... Until a couple of months ago he had a pair of auditives made that are so comfortable he wears them all the time he's awake. No more excuses...