• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

String theory & superstring theory...

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
A whole lot of the `string` non-explored evidences are a whole lot of chalk on black-boards. What's really new is markers on white-boards. There are no real `strings` out there, are there ? Most of the math is imaginary, like a lot of theist `gods`. What's in a photon, does anyone really know, show me the math for that.
Oh, you can ? Black-board or white-board ?
:cool:

Yerda

Veteran Member
I have not much from this front, lately. It has been awfully quiet.

What’s going on?

Any news of note?

Are they making any headway?
Last I heard supersymmetry was looking bust which has big implications for string theory.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The biggest reason you don't hear much from string theory lately is that the results from the LHC haven't shown any deviation from the standard model. This is to an extent that it is getting 'uncomfortable' for any theory involving supersymmetry, and that includes string theories. There isn't anything conclusively eliminating supersymmetry, but there has been a 'feeling' we should have seen some evidence by now.

So, it's sort of like everyone is holding their breath until the next run at LHC.

gnostic

The Lost One
The reasons why I asked is because lot of the attention have moved to the Higgs boson and it’s recent discovery, and it would seem that String Theory and Superstring Theory have been on the back burner.

And I haven’t heard a lot about ST and SST because of HB.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The reasons why I asked is because lot of the attention have moved to the Higgs boson and it’s recent discovery, and it would seem that String Theory and Superstring Theory have been on the back burner.

And I haven’t heard a lot about ST and SST because of HB.

Well, nailing down the properties of HB is one of the main goals of the LHC. Getting the details helps us nail down the electro-weak force.

As far as ST and SST, the next run at the LHC will be crucial. If no deviation from the Standard Model is found then, there will be some serious head-scratching on the part of theorists.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
existing evidence = current evidence.

Existing evidence = historical
Current evidence = now

Besides, who said evidence, im sure i said all seems quiet. Nothing about evidence. I was simply providing papers on current work. Which i believe i was quite clear about.

QuestioningMind

What’s going on?

Any news of note?

It is my understanding that the String Hypothesis is at a standstill due to the fact that there is currently no means by which the hypothesis can be tested. Until or unless such a test is devised, it will forever remain an untested hypothesis.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It is my understanding that the String Hypothesis is at a standstill due to the fact that there is currently no means by which the hypothesis can be tested. Until or unless such a test is devised, it will forever remain an untested hypothesis.

Well, at this level both the 'String Theory' and 'Super Symmetry' suffer the same problem from the human perspective These primarily math models are descriptive, and at present compatible with the evidence, as with the Multiverse hypothesis they cannot be objectively tested at present.

Yerda

Veteran Member
No supersymmetry is not bust, though a separate concept to String Theory. but they are complementary as math models.

See: www.uva.nl/binaries/content/documents/personalpages/h/a/s.deharo/en/.../asset?
Hi,

Your link doesn't seem to be working. Re supersymmetry, I'm far from an expert but my understanding is that the partner particles should have been found by now if they are to have 'natural' masses. The universe is a strange place, however.

For discussion and explanation re physics I usually go to Sabine Hossenfelder's blog.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Hi,

Your link doesn't seem to be working. Re supersymmetry, I'm far from an expert but my understanding is that the partner particles should have been found by now if they are to have 'natural' masses. The universe is a strange place, however.

For discussion and explanation re physics I usually go to Sabine Hossenfelder's blog.

Thank you for the reference, very informative.

What’s going on?

Any news of note?

Headway? About what? It's just a theory as well as the big bang. Yet, the big bang is falling apart. What we know is what is in Genesis. That is written fact :)

The problem with string theory, super string theory, and super symmetry is they are only math models that explain certain attributes of Quantum Mechanics and the behavior of the basic particles of matter, It is unlikely that they can be truly experimentally confirmed. They do seem to be compatible with the experimental results on Quantum Mechanics.

Most of the science of Quantum Mechanics and related physics is now focused on colliders or particle accelerators, and working out the the basics of the most fundamental particles of matter, and attempts to provide an experimental basis for dark energy and dark matter.

The following site gives some insight into string theory: http://www.superstringtheory.com/

And, the colliders experiments aren't interpreted well either. They aren't producing all the expected results.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Headway? About what? It's just a theory as well as the big bang. Yet, the big bang is falling apart. What we know is what is in Genesis. That is written fact :)

Um, what makes you think the Big Bang description is falling apart? At the present it fits the evidence we have well (in the form of the LCDM description).

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

The theory of the expansion of the universe (Big Bang theory? woof!) remains the best explanation based on all the evidence available. One thing which most people do not realize is that the theory of the expansion of the universe only goes back to moments before what may be varied hypothesis that explain the origins of the universe, and the expansion from a singularity is only one of a number of possible hypothesis of what may took place before this first moments.