• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

String Theory Co-Founder: Sub-Atomic Particles Are Evidence the Universe Was Created

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Since no one has said that the results are epistemology, I don't see what your sentence has to do with anything.

Pure lies. Let's review the real conversation, shall we?

V: Do you think you can calculate the amount of entropy generated by a bunch of computing processors by using philosophy?
Z: Given that ... math is a philosophy, I would have to say yes.
V: So, show me, based on pure mathematics, how to infer the entropy generated by a bunch of computing machines.
----------
Right there you moved the goalposts. I said math, a philosophy, could calculate the entropy. .

Mmh. No. To calculate the entropy math is necessary, but not sufficient. You need the result: the law that allows you plugging in the right numbers, crunch them, so that you come to an answer. And since you seem to indicate, in the same post, that the results are not epistemology, then they are not philosophy, either. In other words, you are contradicting yourself.

So, until now, your "rebuttal" of GR is based on the following two arguments:

1) A one mile rope stretched between two points above the surface of earth seems straight and not curved
2) People did not observe propagation of gravity at the speed of light. Which would entail that they observed it at a different speed.

We have already addressed the absurdity of claim 1), if we consider the actual curvature near the surface of the earth, as expected by GR, and still waiting for sources of claim 2) that go beyond your wishful thinking and your strange theory that it propagates at infinite speed (sic).

So, what I need to seriously address your claim is

1) actual evidence that the straightness of space near the surface of the earth has been proven by taking into account that the expected curvature is in the ballpark of 10^(-13) of a radian taken on a triangle whose sides are 100Km long
2) concrete evidence that gravitational influence, measured upon the disappearance of a gravitational source for instance, travel at a different speed than light's

Until that evidence is shown, your rebuttal serves the only purpose of increasing the entropy produced by the computer you use to post stuff.

Ciao

- viole

Shad

Veteran Member
All I see is one expert making a statement outside of academy along with it's standards that people are willing to accept. I wonder if those that accept would also agree with an expert making a statement outside academy such as God is the Christian one. What about Hawking, a far more active physicist that has published more than pop culture in the last 3 decades, stating God is redundant. Do you accept that view?

I think this thread is a prime example of confirmation bias

Zosimus

Mmh. No. To calculate the entropy math is necessary, but not sufficient. You need the result: the law that allows you plugging in the right numbers, crunch them, so that you come to an answer. And since you seem to indicate, in the same post, that the results are not epistemology, then they are not philosophy, either. In other words, you are contradicting yourself.
First of all, I have reported your post because it's a violation of the rules of the forum. It is not permitted to misrepresent the arguments of your opponent. I've warned you about this three times already. I'm tired of it.

Math is a subset of philosophy. This has nothing to do with the results of math. When you can actually address my argument, I'll be happy to respond and not before.

So, until now, your "rebuttal" of GR is based on the following two arguments:

1) A one mile rope stretched between two points above the surface of earth seems straight and not curved
2) People did not observe propagation of gravity at the speed of light. Which would entail that they observed it at a different speed.
Again, completely not my argument. The point is that if gravity propogates at the speed of light, then gravity will take 42 minutes to reach Jupiter and thus Jupiter will not be attracted towards the sun but rather towards where the sun used to be. Since Newton was able to work out the exact orbit of Jupiter without calculating the time lapse in question and without knowing the speed of the sun as it whizzed around the Milky Way galaxy, there is no reason to believe that gravity propogates at the speed of light. You see, it's not about observing the speed of gravity. It's about observing the orbit of Jupiter. Look – if you cannot address the argument, just say so and let's be done with it.

We have already addressed the absurdity of claim 1), if we consider the actual curvature near the surface of the earth, as expected by GR, and still waiting for sources of claim 2) that go beyond your wishful thinking and your strange theory that it propagates at infinite speed (sic).
No, no, it's not my theory. It's Newton's theory. You've heard of him, right? Sir Isaac Newton? Born 1642? Mathematician? (re-)Invented calculus? Is any of this ringing a bell?

So, what I need to seriously address your claim is

1) actual evidence that the straightness of space near the surface of the earth has been proven by taking into account that the expected curvature is in the ballpark of 10^(-13) of a radian taken on a triangle whose sides are 100Km long
2) concrete evidence that gravitational influence, measured upon the disappearance of a gravitational source for instance, travel at a different speed than light's

Until that evidence is shown, your rebuttal serves the only purpose of increasing the entropy produced by the computer you use to post stuff.

Ciao

- viole
So you want me to prove that Newton developed a law of gravity that postulated infinite speed for gravity and that matched Kepler's Laws and Tycho's observations?

No problem. http://www.thestargarden.co.uk/Newtons-theory-of-gravity.html

"Newton stated that the force of gravity is always attractive, works instantaneously at a distance, and has an infinite range. Most importantly, it affects everything with mass - and has nothing to do with an object's charge or chemical composition."

So we see that Newton, postulating that gravity worked instantaneously, was able to perfectly predict the orbit of all planets (except Mercury, the one closest to the sun). If gravity propogated at the speed of light, the further one got from the sun the less accurate the laws would have been.

P.S. It's different FROM not different THAN (unless you're in the UK then you can say different TO).

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
First of all, I have reported your post because it's a violation of the rules of the forum. It is not permitted to misrepresent the arguments of your opponent. I've warned you about this three times already. I'm tired of it.

I am trembling with fear. Is that all you got left?

I am not misrepresenting anything, as anyone with a minimal grasp in logic will see.

Math is a subset of philosophy. This has nothing to do with the results of math. When you can actually address my argument, I'll be happy to respond and not before.

You see? I never said that the laws of nature are a result of math. You are misrepresenting my arguments now. They are the result of observations and a theory built around them. They use math, but are not derivable from math alone. That is my whole point. But I will be magnanimous, I will not report you,. And I will not ignore you, either, like others. This is fun.

Again, completely not my argument. The point is that if gravity propogates at the speed of light, then gravity will take 42 minutes to reach Jupiter and thus Jupiter will not be attracted towards the sun but rather towards where the sun used to be. Since Newton was able to work out the exact orbit of Jupiter without calculating the time lapse in question and without knowing the speed of the sun as it whizzed around the Milky Way galaxy, there is no reason to believe that gravity propogates at the speed of light. You see, it's not about observing the speed of gravity. It's about observing the orbit of Jupiter. Look – if you cannot address the argument, just say so and let's be done with it.

Jupiter is attracted by where the sun used to be. And the sun is attracted by Jupiter where it used to be. Plug in the numbers and you will have a perfect match of what we observe. Which is obvious, if we think that no astronomer is so silly to prove GR wrong because of that.

So, your point is?

No, no, it's not my theory. It's Newton's theory. You've heard of him, right? Sir Isaac Newton? Born 1642? Mathematician? (re-)Invented calculus? Is any of this ringing a bell?

Newton theory is very useful for classical objects like rockets orbiting the moon, but it is fundamentally wrong. Period. To make an example, it cannot explain the precession of Mercury orbit.

So you want me to prove that Newton developed a law of gravity that postulated infinite speed for gravity and that matched Kepler's Laws and Tycho's observations?

No problem. http://www.thestargarden.co.uk/Newtons-theory-of-gravity.html

"Newton stated that the force of gravity is always attractive, works instantaneously at a distance, and has an infinite range. Most importantly, it affects everything with mass - and has nothing to do with an object's charge or chemical composition."

So we see that Newton, postulating that gravity worked instantaneously, was able to perfectly predict the orbit of all planets (except Mercury, the one closest to the sun). If gravity propogated at the speed of light, the further one got from the sun the less accurate the laws would have been.

P.S. It's different FROM not different THAN (unless you're in the UK then you can say different TO).

Again. Newron theory is wrong. It is a valuable approximation of GR, but it fails miserably in extreme situations, like the above mentioned precession of Mercury's orbit. In other words, GR explain the same things of Newton, plus what Newton does not explain. Which makes your argument a no issue.

Maybe it is time that you upgrade your knowledge in this area.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited: