• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stranger in a Strange Land (by Robert A. Heinlein) and other non-religious books...

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I know this isn't a religious book, but I read it at a time when I was questioning a lot of the religious and spiritual ideas that I had grown up with. Anyone who has read this book, will understand why it made an impact on me.

What non religious books have made a spiritual impact on you?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
This and others of Robert A. Heinlein's work have had an impact on me, both in my formative years and today. He is probably the single most influential non-religious writer for me. I would have to credit all of science fiction, though, as forming much of my world-view, and many of my non-religious attitudes as well.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
"Catch-22" was one I read while I happened to be going through my formative years. It was quite influential in having me recognize that there were other viewpoints besides my own. My absolute favorite 'non-religious' author who takes on religious topics is Terry Pratchett. He handles spirituality with the beauty it deserves.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
It was quite influential in having me recognize that there were other viewpoints besides my own.
I grew up in a small town, FeathersinHair, and that town seemed so monolithic to me that I thought I could count on two fingers the number of opinions the town had on any subject. There was no diversity outside of the books I read. Robert Heinlein and other authors offered me viewpoints that I simply couldn't get from my fellow townfolk. They were liberating.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Feathers -

I am not sure I would use "beauty" to describe Mr. Pratchett's work; although I haven't read much of his later stuff. Wickedly sardonic humor, maybe.........

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I would have to suggest "Lamb: the gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal." by Christopher Moore. He has a great sence of humor and handles the subject of Jesus' "missing years" with both wit and surprizing sencitivity.

"Coyote Blue" is also a great book for an intersting look at Native American spirituality. He adds some genuine Coyote stories (albeit a bit updated) for flavor between chapters, and having Coyote as a main character in the modern world is loads of fun. :D

wa:do

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
The book that inspired me most, and is in fact still my favourite book of al time would be "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Breathtaking.