• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stonehenge

EyeofOdin

It's very interesting studying Stonehenge and the cultural significance of it to the people who built it.

Archaeological evidence suggests that Stonehenge, traditionally thought of as a place for the sun, is actually only half the story. It's also theorized that Stonehenge is a temple and, you may also say, a portal to the ancestors. This was a place where ancestors were honored and also where there may have been burial rites.

There also was another henge, Woodhenge. This was a temple to the gods of fertility and a place to have great feasts. In the supposed place where woodhenge was, as the wood itself has been decayed, there is evidence of slaughtered and cooked animals. One could infer that in these drunken feasts, the people decided to conceive children.

This veneration of both life and death shows exactly how spiritual ancient druids were and also what the structure was of there spirituality.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I have read on it some and watched some documentaries discussing it. It is extremely fascinating for me. From what they gather people would travel great distances to come celebrate, be healed, bury a loved one, or other form of pilgrimage. It is also supposed to actually predate Celtic peoples and their Druids arrival to the Isles. As always the new fusion of the peoples and the way sacred land is sensed and treated - celebration and rituals would continue.

It is one of the places I want to visit most definitely.

EyeofOdin

I have read on it some and watched some documentaries discussing it. It is extremely fascinating for me. From what they gather people would travel great distances to come celebrate, be healed, bury a loved one, or other form of pilgrimage. It is also supposed to actually predate Celtic peoples and their Druids arrival to the Isles. As always the new fusion of the peoples and the way sacred land is sensed and treated - celebration and rituals would continue.

It is one of the places I want to visit most definitely.

I would love to go as well. Just to be with that huge, mystical energy would be awing

Sees

Dragonslayer
My wife sees places like this as portals where otherworld/outer-dimensional/spiritual beings can most easily and/or precisely travel...maybe a sort of marking for a stop along the rainbow bridge :D

I can imagine a thousand men, women, and children doing a harmonious, ancient chant and feeling the whole scene vibrate all around and inside of you.

Akivah

I once went to Stonehenge. It was raining hard and the rain was cold. The walkway goes far around the circle. I came, I saw, I shivered.

We couldn't go to Stonehenge in 2001 because of hoof and mouth disease throughout the country. I felt cheated.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
While I do not believe it, an interesting view I've seen a while, talks about the possibility of Stonehenge being the remainder of what was Tower of Babel.

EyeofOdin

My wife sees places like this as portals where otherworld/outer-dimensional/spiritual beings can most easily and/or precisely travel...maybe a sort of marking for a stop along the rainbow bridge :D

I can imagine a thousand men, women, and children doing a harmonious, ancient chant and feeling the whole scene vibrate all around and inside of you.

I believe that we can make our own energetic portals at our own sacred spaces using rocks, stones and symbols. I have something like that on my altar. I've also seen bricks sunken into the ground for backyard sacred spaces.

EyeofOdin

While I do not believe it, an interesting view I've seen a while, talks about the possibility of Stonehenge being the remainder of what was Tower of Babel.

Hmm I'm curious, what evidence is there for this? Semitic peoples generally weren't focused in Britain at that time and it's noted that the supposed tower was built in Shinar, somewhere in Mesopotamia.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I haven't seen it, I'd like to but my husband can be... Hmm I don't know which word to use. I think he'd say it's just a bunch of stones or something.

Anyway, thanks for the thread, interesting stuff!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Hmm I'm curious, what evidence is there for this? Semitic peoples generally weren't focused in Britain at that time and it's noted that the supposed tower was built in Shinar, somewhere in Mesopotamia.

Not sure where I remember hearing it from, but I think it may have been some random article on blogspot, or to be even cheaper it might have been some random Yahoo Answer's question.

Here's what I found on google though; STONEHENGE: THE TRUE TOWER OF BABEL. [Archive] - Spiritual Forums

Never know what people believe these days; I've even heard once that Adam and Eve were from Kansas.

If you like to live dangerously, here's some Second-Hand Stupid ;): http://forums.rasta-man.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3133.0

Last edited: