• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still good to vote for the single best candidate

Stanyon

WWMRD?
There's no nazis like right wing stormtroopers.

I find it interesting that a left wing journalist on a left wing news show which serves the interests of the DNC likens Bernie Sanders and his followers as Nazis. Bernie is no Nazi but it seems the quick and easy smear for anyone the left doesn't like.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I predict that we'll end up with "safe" status quo Joe, then Trump for another 4 years.
Looks like it with the statements of multiple super delegates that the DNC will not make Bernie Trumps challenger if he doesn't win on the first ballot. But am I too optimistic when I say that it's too early to call?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I am a strong supporter of UBI only because it makes the economy very strong and all the money comes right back to the people who pay the taxes. You can't redistribute wealth. Wealth is a system of leverage.

I'm not big believer true AI ever becoming a reality anytime soon. I've spent a lot of time studying John Searle who makes some very strong arguments on the nature of consciousness. As a result of studying John Searle I am convinced AI is not going to happen anytime soon:

But if Strong AI does happen, then I think Strong AI systems would be no different than humans in causing issues with working:

We've always had automation eliminate jobs. The problem is not job creation but too much gouging of the worker. The problems with our country are not rocket science. The billionaires pay the lobbyists to pass legislation creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. With the price fixing of products and services along with the price fixing of wages based on government published data the result is extreme levels of wealthy inequality not seen since the age of Robber Barons.

I think Marx is right. What the CEOs and billionaires are doing is theft from the worker. For me, what difference does it make if we raise taxes on the billionaires. Why would one type of theft be better than the other type? Theft is theft. This is why I like Sanders so much because he's determined to make the top 1% pay their fair share, that is, change one type of theft for the other type. If we just return to Bill Clinton era tax rates we would probably have a budget surplus again.

Taking a quick look at the wiki about The Chinese Room, it's a nicely clear illustration of how merely running a program isn't what we seem to sense intelligence is, for us at least. And I think so too. I think we have some kinda really amazing thing happening, possibly even involving stuff like true quantum randomness, for instance, and perhaps possibly there could be affects from as yet unknown physics, and those are only 2 pieces that come up in my speculations. I perhaps would look at that 1hr 10m video some evening, but I wonder if it touches on neural networks, which I think of as interesting (and to which a randomness could be added also in an engineering try-it-and-see iteration process)?

Fun 2nd video there. heh heh

I agree with you these are happening and even the most important factors also at this time: "The billionaires pay the lobbyists to pass legislation creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. With the price fixing of products and services along with the price fixing of wages based on government published data the result is extreme levels of wealthy inequality not seen since the age of Robber Barons."

About Warren and Sanders tax rates, they are both significant increases of course, and though Sanders is more, the main thing is to just simply fund government adequately, and does Warren fail to have good enough program proposals after Medicare for all, college tuition, tuition debt forgiveness, free childcare? These seem huge gains, and perhaps as much of gains as would be possible to do for now, one might think (like me).

Another aspect about how to tax best is the practical aspect, as highlighted in this paragraph, referencing France's own attempt and outcome:

Besides, there are other reasons to be skeptical about such a levy’s ability to raise $3.75 trillion. For one thing, the projections rely on overly optimistic assumptions about tax avoidance. In addition, the inability to raise substantial wealth tax revenue is why close to a dozen European governments have dropped the tax altogether since the 1990s. In France, around 200 billion Euros were lost in capital flight every year — about double what the tax actually raised.
A reality check on Warren's and Sanders's spending proposals

It's self-defeating, harming, to merely raise taxes without a deep and good understanding of how it all works, which requires a non-ideological approach that lets one learn from schools of thought without filtering.

So, it's not merely to have the idea and a rough sketch, but instead some smarter thinking and structure would be needed, which is possible, but only if the administration is.......able to realize that and then try to find that thinking, which would be laudable, in that the wiser people try to bring in the best ideas, instead of thinking they already have them.

That's a reason to think Warren is better than she may seem -- she isn't that ideological. She is outcome driven, and that means willing to bring in better ideas. That's superior.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
And now he's retiring:

I've been watching this and very little was said about his Nazi intimation as a reason for his "retirement". I find it interesting that telling a woman she looks nice is a far worse thing than intimating a political candidate close to an election is akin to a Nazi.

dfnj

Taking a quick look at the wiki about The Chinese Room, it's a nicely clear illustration of how merely running a program isn't what we seem to sense intelligence is, for us at least. And I think so too. I think we have some kinda really amazing thing happening, possibly even involving stuff like true quantum randomness, for instance, and perhaps possibly there could be affects from as yet unknown physics, and those are only 2 pieces that come up in my speculations. I perhaps would look at that 1hr 10m video some evening, but I wonder if it touches on neural networks, which I think of as interesting (and to which a randomness could be added also in an engineering try-it-and-see iteration process)?

Fun 2nd video there. heh heh

I agree with you these are happening and even the most important factors also at this time: "The billionaires pay the lobbyists to pass legislation creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. With the price fixing of products and services along with the price fixing of wages based on government published data the result is extreme levels of wealthy inequality not seen since the age of Robber Barons."

About Warren and Sanders tax rates, they are both significant increases of course, and though Sanders is more, the main thing is to just simply fund government adequately, and does Warren fail to have good enough program proposals after Medicare for all, college tuition, tuition debt forgiveness, free childcare? These seem huge gains, and perhaps as much of gains as would be possible to do for now, one might think (like me).

Another aspect about how to tax best is the practical aspect, as highlighted in this paragraph, referencing France's own attempt and outcome:

Besides, there are other reasons to be skeptical about such a levy’s ability to raise $3.75 trillion. For one thing, the projections rely on overly optimistic assumptions about tax avoidance. In addition, the inability to raise substantial wealth tax revenue is why close to a dozen European governments have dropped the tax altogether since the 1990s. In France, around 200 billion Euros were lost in capital flight every year — about double what the tax actually raised.
A reality check on Warren's and Sanders's spending proposals

It's self-defeating, harming, to merely raise taxes without a deep and good understanding of how it all works, which requires a non-ideological approach that lets one learn from schools of thought without filtering.

So, it's not merely to have the idea and a rough sketch, but instead some smarter thinking and structure would be needed, which is possible, but only if the administration is.......able to realize that and then try to find that thinking, which would be laudable, in that the wiser people try to bring in the best ideas, instead of thinking they already have them.

That's a reason to think Warren is better than she may seem -- she isn't that ideological. She is outcome driven, and that means willing to bring in better ideas. That's superior.

The problem with Warren is many Republicans and swing voters are misogynists. The last thing we need is a get-out-the-vote incentive like we had with Hillary. I think Biden has the best chance of beating Trump because he polls the best in red states. As I said, the other day during his town hall in South Carolina was the best campaigning I've seen from him.

I think I would prefer Sanders over everyone. I want to see us go as far left as we possibly can. But I don't think Sanders can win the Electorial College.

I think we should bring back FDR tax rates if it means getting rid of student debt and having Medicare for all. But I think returning to Bill Clinton tax rates would suffice.

I really want to see an end to getting your healthcare through your employer. It's like shopping at the company store. It's pure rape and corruption. With healthcare through your employer premiums have gone up on average 20% per year for 30 years now. The ACA did absolutely nothing to slow down the corruption. At 20% per year it doubles every five years. It's not clear whether Medicare for all will slow down the rate hospitals charge but it would certainly simplify the equation. When the people who own the hospitals also own the companies doing health care administration bad things happen. It's like an instant tax increase every year gouging the consumer without any mechanism to keep costs down.

halbhh

The problem with Warren is many Republicans and swing voters are misogynists. The last thing we need is a get-out-the-vote incentive like we had with Hillary. I think Biden has the best chance of beating Trump because he polls the best in red states. As I said, the other day during his town hall in South Carolina was the best campaigning I've seen from him.

I think I would prefer Sanders over everyone. I want to see us go as far left as we possibly can. But I don't think Sanders can win the Electorial College.

I think we should bring back FDR tax rates if it means getting rid of student debt and having Medicare for all. But I think returning to Bill Clinton tax rates would suffice.

I really want to see an end to getting your healthcare through your employer. It's like shopping at the company store. It's pure rape and corruption. With healthcare through your employer premiums have gone up on average 20% per year for 30 years now. The ACA did absolutely nothing to slow down the corruption. At 20% per year it doubles every five years. It's not clear whether Medicare for all will slow down the rate hospitals charge but it would certainly simplify the equation. When the people who own the hospitals also own the companies doing health care administration bad things happen. It's like an instant tax increase every year gouging the consumer without any mechanism to keep costs down.
Let me make a smallish note about the last paragraph -- there probably isn't a blanket rule, in that in our family the employer insurance was pretty good bargain as compared to a few years buying on the individual market before having it; so putting that with what you say, perhaps it is a mixed thing, so depending on the employer. I do know more about general health care inflation though (quite a lot of reading over years) -- it isn't because of an employer at all, but the general market situation in general, for all, in all markets, across the nation. Perhaps Medicare could slow down health care inflation, but....well, if you are interested, I used to write really involved posts about all of this, and here's a link (from before Obamacare was passed): Finding the Dream: (Update 11-5) The Great American Health Care Bubble (and why we spend twice as much as Europe per person) (kinda wordy, but has some insights).

Perhaps your first paragraph is largely correct, though I'd like to think we are further along, but it may be we are not that far along.

Re Sanders and the EC, I bet that's correct.

About the FDR tax rates, I suppose you may mean before the war. I liked the idea of just using something like the Clinton era tax rates, with some small adjustments.

Interesting stuff tho.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I agree.
But it gets worse.
Having so little support amongst the Democratic members of Congress and such, I don't think he'd accomplish much of his lofty goals. Not even if he got the White House and flipped the Senate.

Instead, while he's flailing the elite will just go on looting the country.
It's sorta like Obama, only more so.
Tom

dfnj

I agree.
But it gets worse.
Having so little support amongst the Democratic members of Congress and such, I don't think he'd accomplish much of his lofty goals. Not even if he got the White House and flipped the Senate.

Instead, while he's flailing the elite will just go on looting the country.
It's sorta like Obama, only more so.
Tom

I think the elections are completely rigged. Every time we get a president of one party the House or Senate flips. It makes no sense other than whoever counts the votes decides the results.

I remember growing up the pre-election polls always matched the post election polls with less than 1 percent. It was a scandal if they did not match. People would investigate if there our election integrity was intact. It was a really big deal. This used to be the case until 2000. From 2000 on the pre-election polls mismatch the post-election polls by HUGE margins. It's rigged.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
To label Chris Matthews a left wing journalist is simply moronic.

He labels himself a liberal and claims his political affiliation as democrat and his last gig was working at left leaning MSNBC. Are you just throwing stuff out there without the smallest bit of research?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
He labels himself a liberal and claims his political affiliation as democrat and his last gig was working at left leaning MSNBC. Are you just throwing stuff out there without the smallest bit of research?

You project a lot and assume more.

I've watched Matthews off and on since his time at CNBC.

FWIW:

Matthews has said, "I'm more conservative than people think I am.... I voted for George W. in 2000." Salon.com has called him the "most conservative voice" on MSNBC's primetime lineup. Matthews has been accused by Media Matters for America of having panels of guests that skew to the right and of supporting Republicans in his own questions and comments. [source]

You might find the rest of the write-up informative as well, not that you impress me as someone particularly interested in information as opposed to self-validating propaganda.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
You project a lot and assume more.

I've watched Matthews off and on since his time at CNBC.

FWIW:

Matthews has said, "I'm more conservative than people think I am.... I voted for George W. in 2000." Salon.com has called him the "most conservative voice" on MSNBC's primetime lineup. Matthews has been accused by Media Matters for America of having panels of guests that skew to the right and of supporting Republicans in his own questions and comments. [source]

You might find the rest of the write-up informative as well, not that you impress me as someone particularly interested in information as opposed to self-validating propaganda.

The most conservative voice on MSNBC sounds a lot like he was the token RINO that many news outlets use to appear as fair and balanced except he is a democrat and self proclaimed liberal.

The bolded irony is important as you seem to have cherry picked the wiki page for self- validating propaganda, also in the page:

Political party
Democratic

" Matthews served on the staffs of four Democratic Members of Congress, including Senators Frank Moss and Edmund Muskie. In 1974,"

"The Republicans will know they have lost.... Let them keep score and it's easy. It's complicated when liberals get to keep score. We're always arguing. Well, I'm a liberal, too."

source:

Chris Matthews - Wikipedia

All of which support the claims I made, no assumptions needed
not propaganda, just facts

MSNBC - Media Bias/Fact Check

halbhh

Seems it's over with the single best candidate:

Yeah....

She just didn't come across well compared to master campaigners like Biden and Sanders, who are frankly up on a high level, both instantly likable pretty much all of the time. Warren would only be likable some of the time, and other times would seem too angry (even though of course she was angry for a totally good reason) -- that is, needed more...of something like...more easily visible equanimity/faith in the nation maybe: that sense of...it's ok/we're going to turn in the right direction -- we're going to be ok, that people like. People want that.