• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steak

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What is your favorite steak cut? How do you cook it at home? Or do you only eat it at a restaurant?

Discuss everything steak here!

Onasander

Bone In Ribeye, Medium Well with Butter, at Texas Road House.
1ece56151b1e42419550a6019bc9d63f.jpg

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Strip loin (New York Steak) here! I BBQ all year round, and this is often on my grill, though prices have been through the roof of late.

New-York-Steaks-on-BBQ.png

I have a lovely Cajun spice mix I slather them with, depending on mood, of course.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Strip loin (New York Steak) here! I BBQ all year round, and this is often on my grill, though prices have been through the roof of late.

New-York-Steaks-on-BBQ.png

I have a lovely Cajun spice mix I slather them with, depending on mood, of course.

I love spiced food, although with steak in particular, I prefer fewer spices so that the taste of the meat is more prominent.

How do you make yours? I like medium-rare and, to a lesser extent, rare.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
New York Strip on the grill; Filet Mignon in a cast iron pan that finishes in the oven (not very often, it's pricey).

I have yet to try cooking steak in the oven. Is it easy to make it medium-rare if cooked that way?

Orbit

I'm a planet
I have yet to try cooking steak in the oven. Is it easy to make it medium-rare if cooked that way?
The process is to sear it in the pan on both sides on top of the stove, and then put the pan under the broiler in the oven to finish (it doesn't take long). I like it medium rare, the trick is to not leave it in the oven too long. We use a meat thermometer to avoid over-cooking.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to use olive oil but now its colza (rapeseed oil), it's healthier

The process is to sear it in the pan on both sides on top of the stove, and then put the pan under the broiler in the oven to finish (it doesn't take long). I like it medium rare, the trick is to not leave it in the oven too long. We use a meat thermometer to avoid over-cooking.

Thanks! I'll give both of these a try. There are still a few steak cuts I would like to try.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Porterhouse, Ribeye, or NY strip (I'm not too picky). Medium rare. Usually done on a backyard grill with the family. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt, black and red pepper, minced garlic and onion. Top with sautéed mushroom. Best steak sauce is Kikkoman's.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I love spiced food, although with steak in particular, I prefer fewer spices so that the taste of the meat is more prominent.

How do you make yours? I like medium-rare and, to a lesser extent, rare.
Med-rare, not so rare that it still "Moo's!" As @ChristineM replied, 1 minute per side, though on the BBQ, that is more like 90 seconds.

One particular steak I also enjoy is with a peppercorn rub. This concoction really does enhance the taste of the meat without overpowering one's taste buddies.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Porterhouse, Ribeye, or NY strip (I'm not too picky). Medium rare. Usually done on a backyard grill with the family. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt, black and red pepper, minced garlic and onion. Top with sautéed mushroom. Best steak sauce is Kikkoman's.

That sounds very nice! I tend to use onion juice, salt, and ground black pepper for the seasoning.

Do you prefer garlic or onion for steak seasoning, generally?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Med-rare, not so rare that it still "Moo's!" As @ChristineM replied, 1 minute per side, though on the BBQ, that is more like 90 seconds.

One particular steak I also enjoy is with a peppercorn rub. This concoction really does enhance the taste of the meat without overpowering one's taste buddies.

I like it rare, if I'm cooking for guests i ask how they like it,
1.5 minutes/side = rare
2.5 minutes/side = medium
3.5 minutes/side = burnt

The peppercorn rub reminded me, a tablespoon of fresh pepper corns, folded into a tea town and cracked with a mallet. Warmed with fresh single cream makes a great sauce for steak