• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STDs Caused by Systemic Racism?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
“It’s like hot potato/musical chairs, but with a penis,” said the girl leading the group.

The teenagers, the girl explained, would pass a plastic, life-size penis around the circle. Whoever was holding it when the music stopped would have to unroll a condom onto it, completing each of the eight steps they had been taught a few minutes earlier.

Uh... 8 steps? My education was a bit lacking I think.

la-1524806519-q14dcl2ys2-snap-image

But the picture is more complicated when it comes to the high STD rates among minorities. Gay and bisexual men make up the vast majority of new syphilis cases. In L.A. County, syphilis rates among African American women are six times higher than white women and three times higher than Latina women.

Northover said that officials need to evaluate what’s called structural or systemic racism, the way housing or education policies may negatively impact people and their health. Studies have found, for example, that people with HIV who had low levels of literacy were less likely to follow their treatment, and that poorer Americans were more likely to engage in risky sexual behavior, increasing their risk of STDs.
STDs in L.A. County are skyrocketing. Officials think racism and stigma may be to blame

Do you agree? systemic racism is a factor?

“This is such a natural human interaction, and yet it’s so stigmatized,” said Valerie Coachman-Moore, who oversees WeCanStopSTDsLA, the coalition of advocates that put on the event. “People are having sex? Yeah.”

Many say the silence around sex plays a big role in young people’s high rates of STDs. Many feel uncomfortable walking into an STD clinic or talking to their partners about safe practices.

Should we all become more open about sex around teenagers?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Racism can be a factor but I'd say a bigger one is poverty, which almost no one seems to want to talk about these days while they pursue their dead end obsession with identity politics. With LGBT black and Latino people, there's also a lot of homophobia and transphobia in those ethnic communities.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Culture can be a factor.

Culture?
In the US, LA... Whites and Latino have a much lower rate of STDs. What about the culture do you think causes this?

Systemic racism, I assume means there is a problem with the education in Black communities. Do you think that is true?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well if poor people aren't getting proper sex ed, then perhaps that's why they are more prone to STDs?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Culture?
In the US, LA... Whites and Latino have a much lower rate of STDs. What about the culture do you think causes this?
Attitudes towards condoms, & perhaps birth control in general.
Just speculating on a possible factor, with possible reasons.
Systemic racism, I assume means there is a problem with the education in Black communities. Do you think that is true?
Is it racism or poverty?
I blame the latter.
And again culture is another possible factor.
There could be differences in parental involvement,
peer influence, differing goals. Good research area, eh.