• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of the Union

Will you watch the State of the Union address tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Archer

I agree but the main problem is many people are moving out of production and manufacturing and going into service based industry. Also, we cannot compete with other countries (like China) when it comes to price. They underpay their workers and their workplaces are not as tightly regulated as here, which is why many companies have moved their manufacturing overseas. What we need is new technology so we can move away from human-based manufacturing to machine-based manufacturing (ie robots). That way, manufacturing here would become cheaper since you don't have pay a machine to do work.

Then we move to the end of work and a welfare state.

Like I said it will take a change in the dynamic. Prices have not really dropped since NAFTA and the fact is only profits have gone up. Moving production back home will not have much effect on the consumer.

It can be done and should be done but the (R) people wont have it.

xkatz

Moving production back home will not have much effect on the consumer.

It might not impact the consumer but it would mean that America would no longer be as dependent on manufacturing in other countries (ie China) and it would restore our manufacturing based industries to some extent.

Archer

It might not impact the consumer but it would mean that America would no longer be as dependent on manufacturing in other countries (ie China) and it would restore our manufacturing based industries to some extent.

Exactly. I am not saying eliminate trade but I am saying fair and equal or nothing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Exactly. I am not saying eliminate trade but I am saying fair and equal or nothing.
I'm loathe to take that approach because it puts government in the driver's seat, deciding what is fair to whom & using their
blunt instruments to enforce equality. Our declining competitiveness is a symptom of deeper problems, eg, an expensive legal
environment, dysfunctional micro-regulation, local anti-development attitudes, subsidies for some businesses at the expense
of others, high real estate property taxes, high personal property taxes, higher education not stressing useful fields enuf.
I'd prefer that we emphasize those basic issues.
In the great depression, we were recovering in the early 30s, until government decided that trade restrictions were da bomb.
Then things really got bad.

Wannabe Yogi

Trust me, high speed rail service is a VERY expensive proposition. Great if you can afford it, but probably not the wisest idea if you have to mortgage your country to do it. It might have been a good speech had it been reality based. Then again, that could have set off a wave of suicides.

Not as expensive as the extension of the bush era tax cuts it seems the deficit has just raised a 1/2 trillion in less then a month of the GOP taking the house.

Archer

I'm loathe to take that approach because it puts government in the driver's seat, deciding what is fair to whom & using their
blunt instruments to enforce equality. Our declining competitiveness is a symptom of deeper problems, eg, an expensive legal
environment, dysfunctional micro-regulation, local anti-development attitudes, subsidies for some businesses at the expense
of others, high real estate property taxes, high personal property taxes, higher education not stressing useful fields enuf.
I'd prefer that we emphasize those basic issues.
In the great depression, we were recovering in the early 30s, until government decided that trade restrictions were da bomb.
Then things really got bad.

Well I have a real problem with the bleeding hearts talking about human rights while they promote sweat shops with their money. What I am saying is if you want to deal with us then pay the people like we get paid.

There is a lot to it and the people can speak but they are to cheap, selfish and greedy to do a damn thing about it. I hate most AmeriKans.

A

angellous_evangellous

*kicks Archer in the pants*

Twice

[now that was my 37,001st post]

gnomon

Not as expensive as the extension of the bush era tax cuts it seems the deficit has just raised a 1/2 trillion in less then a month of the GOP taking the house.

Neither the House nor Senate have enacted anything yet. All they've done so far are establish the committee memberships, roll calls and other mundane tasks. There are already a couple hundred bills introduced in the House and Senate but any change in the deficit at the moment has nothing to do with the new Congress.

Let's at least wait until they have had some time in before we start heaping our scorn upon them.

Which I promise I will be doing aplenty as this Congress gets to work.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

Neither the House nor Senate have enacted anything yet. All they've done so far are establish the committee memberships, roll calls and other mundane tasks. There are already a couple hundred bills introduced in the House and Senate but any change in the deficit at the moment has nothing to do with the new Congress.

Let's at least wait until they have had some time in before we start heaping our scorn upon them.

Which I promise I will be doing aplenty as this Congress gets to work.

Sorry I try not to heap scorn upon anyone. The Bush tax cuts bill were a compromise between the GOP and Obama in the last congress. It had a huge effect on the deficit. That is just a fact. If somebody does something correct I am more then willing to heap praise on them. No matter right or left. Constancy with my perception of the truth is more important then getting even or venting on those who disagree with me.

xkatz

The problem is though how do we convince countries like China to go with something like that?

Last edited: