• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stanislav Petrov has died

Laika

Premium Member
I saw this on another forum and thought it was worth sharing here. You probably don't know about him but Stanislav Petrov, a Soviet officer who prevented a nuclear crisis between the US and the USSR and possible World War III in 1983 as the result of a false alarm has quietly passed away. He was 77.

'I was just doing my job': Soviet officer who averted nuclear war dies at age 77

The Trailer below is for a Danish Documentary film "The Man Who Saved the World" in 2014 . Its maybe a bit over the top but still a nice clip.

Any Thoughts?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I saw this on another forum and thought it was worth sharing here. You probably don't know about him but Stanislav Petrov, a Soviet officer who prevented a nuclear crisis between the US and the USSR and possible World War III in 1983 as the result of a false alarm has quietly passed away. He was 77.

'I was just doing my job': Soviet officer who averted nuclear war dies at age 77

The Trailer below is for a Danish Documentary film "The Man Who Saved the World" in 2014 . Its maybe a bit over the top but still a nice clip.

Any Thoughts?

He's an unsung hero. If he hadn't acted as he did and kept his head we might not be here to appreciate this.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I was in third grade when that happened! My brother was born that year. We would have been fried.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From Wikipedia ...

Petrov underwent intense questioning by his superiors about his judgment. Initially, he was praised for his decision.[4] General Yury Votintsev, then commander of the Soviet Air Defense's Missile Defense Units, who was the first to hear Petrov's report of the incident (and the first to reveal it to the public in the 1990s), states that Petrov's "correct actions" were "duly noted".[4] Petrov himself states he was initially praised by Votintsev and promised a reward,[4][11] but recalls that he was also reprimanded for improper filing of paperwork because he had not described the incident in the war diary.[11][12]

He received no reward. According to Petrov, this was because the incident and other bugs found in the missile detection system embarrassed his superiors and the influential scientists who were responsible for it, so that if he had been officially rewarded, they would have had to be punished.[4][7][11][12] He was reassigned to a less sensitive post,[12] took early retirement (although he emphasizes that he was not "forced out" of the army, as it is sometimes claimed by Western sources),[11] and suffered a nervous breakdown.[12]
We get the impression of a thoughtful and courageous man operating in a State that was neither.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He along with the earlier Cuban Missile Crisis almost WWIII savior, Vasili Alexandrovich Arkhipov, are worth honoring.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Any Thoughts?
I feel for anybody who's died that has a good heart and conscience. I do think it's a little heavy on the credit though. I think it takes more than one person to be instrumental in averting something like nuclear war.

All the same I'm sure he was good to have around during that time.