• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Srimad"

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What does the term "Srimad" even mean, and why does it sometimes preface the title of a text?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Beautiful or glorious apparently. Thus the text is called 'Beautiful (or glorious) such and such'.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm thinking of calling myself Srimad Madhuri...but maybe mad...mad...doesn't sound so good :areyoucra

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
So, for living beings, "Srila" is used, instead?

I dont know actually,I think Sriman can also be used.Srila is used frequently by the Gaudhiya group ,including our guru Srila Prabupada.

IMHO,Srimad suites perfectly for you( i.e your name),but for some like Madhuri it may not suit.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think maybe Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Madhuri Devi Dasi.

Let us not forget that Prabhupada is often referred to as Sri Srimad A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada.

Apparently Srila is an adjective of the noun Sri.Apparently Prabhupada was both opulent and very beautiful...

Wannabe Yogi

Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Madhuri Devi Dasi

You must add Ma at the end. So

:bow:Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Madhuri Devi Dasi Ma:bow: now you sound like a real Holy Woman.

Now say it ten times real fast.:confused:

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I think maybe Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Madhuri Devi Dasi.

Let us not forget that Prabhupada is often referred to as Sri Srimad A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada.

Apparently Srila is an adjective of the noun Sri.Apparently Prabhupada was both opulent and very beautiful...

That title should be more suitable for you than for Prabupada himself.:D

Kuvalya_Dharmasindhu

Nondualistic Bhakta
Namaste,

Hahaha this really put a smile on my face! Actually, thank you so much for this conversation, i was looking for the same thing last night online and couldn't find it.

Pranam

Kuvalya_Dharmasindhu

Nondualistic Bhakta
Hindus get all the cool titles :( Not fair!

Luis-ji,

I know you were probably joking, but i'd like to humbly point out that there are many Buddhists who take on a Dharma name. It gives them a goal to live up to. Although i would classify myself a Hindu, i offer up my name as an example. Kuvalya Dharmasindhu means Blue Lotus (Kuvalya) and Ocean of Cosmic Law (Dharmasindhu). It helps me to continually acknowledge that my goal in life is to strive to live in accordance with the Way and to realize enlightenment as soon as possible, especially since i incorporate the Mahayana notion of Bodhicitta into my practice so that i can come back and help other Dharma seekers to realize their full potential.

*Peace To All Beings*