• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"spiritual warfare" is silly

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I no longer believe in "spiritual warfare"

I no longer believe that Satan is trying to undermine everyone with demons so as to frustrate the will of God

I now know that I personally have not been haunted by a demon although I did used to believe this

That's just silly and paranoid

What's next? - drilling holes in peoples heads to let out evil spirits????

It is irresponsible and wrong to tell a person with a severe mental illness they are under spiritual attack by "The Enemy"

If you think you are experiencing a demon you should seek psychiatric help

There is no shame in being mentally unwell just as there is no shame in being physically unwell

For me, prayer actually helped my condition. But that doesn't mean the original problem was spiritual rather than psychiatric. Maybe that was a placebo, maybe there was an actual mechanism that was at work that can be rationally explained, or maybe God answered my prayers and healed me?

Doesn't mean the original problem was demonic though

I don't know...........

But to anyone reading this who is experiencing demons: seek medical attention!

Heyo

Veteran Member

I no longer believe that Satan is trying to undermine everyone with demons so as to frustrate the will of God

I now know that I personally have not been haunted by a demon although I did used to believe this

It is irresponsible and wrong to tell a person with a severe mental illness they are under spiritual attack by "The Enemy"

There is no shame in being mentally unwell just as there is no shame in being physically unwell

For me, prayer actually helped my condition. But that doesn't mean the original problem was spiritual rather than psychiatric. Maybe that was a placebo, maybe there was an actual mechanism that was at work that can be rationally explained, or maybe God answered my prayers and healed me?

I don't know...........

Yep. I'm not bashing all religion but when there is actual harm as there is with belief in demons and exorcism, religion becomes dangerous and worthy of damnation.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I had an ex who was going through a severe mental episode spurred on by a painful event she was going through when she was younger. Her father in law who raised her and was a very religious man was trying to cast the demons out of her. When that didn't work they took her to the ER. Turns out she had an infection that was causing her severe pain. The ER techs got her antibiotics and she healed up ok

It took her time to realise that there were no external demons, but when she did, she was able to manage her mental illness a lot more easily without having to contend with supernatural fears as well

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't know...........

I was big on that when I was a Christian.

Looking back i see just how ridiculous it is.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

I don't know...........

No, not everyone who has experienced spiritual warfare is mentally ill. That's a very naive point of view.
You no longer believe the Bible?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I believe that when Jesus "cast out spirits" what he was actually doing was curing mental illness

He cured physical illnesses too, e.g. people who couldn't walk and the blind
He also spoke to spirits who spoke back. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Demons are real, according to scripture.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
He also spoke to spirits who spoke back
People can behave as though they are possessed by spirits without actually being possessed

I find other explanations more convincing

Maybe

But I doubt they cause mental illness

And personally speaking, I doubt that I have been subjected to one for 18 years

Again, I find other explanations more convincing

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I believe that when Jesus "cast out spirits" what he was actually doing was curing mental illness

He cured physical illnesses too, e.g. people who couldn't walk and the blind
I will tell you that when a person is not taught what is wrong in God's eyes he can be host for the demons.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I basically agree with @Eddi. The vast majority of the time the best approach is psychological/psychiatric.

My understanding is that there are mischievous astral entities that seek to experience vicariously things like being drunk which they can no longer do not having a physical body and are thus attracted to those who drink etc. But the satan/demon bit is not something I accept.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yep. I'm not bashing all religion but when there is actual harm as there is with belief in demons and exorcism, religion becomes dangerous and worthy of damnation.
It's always a strange sight watching grown people in a modern age running around touting how demons affect their lives.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's always a strange sight watching grown people in a modern age running around touting how demons affect their lives.
And how Zeus throws lightning bolts, witches curse their crop and the earth is flat ... wait - most don't do that. They have learned that that is superstition, metaphor or plain ignorance of our ancestors.
And the belief in demons is also rare today (except West Central Africa, the Vatican and the US). We have the equivalent of the lightning rod for "demons", it's called psychology. Time to bury the demon superstition also.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
He also spoke to spirits who spoke back. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I will tell you that when a person is not taught what is wrong in God's eyes he can be host for the demons.

In light of what author of thread has generously and courageously chosen to shared on forum about their condition, may I ask; when you post replies like these, do you consider their impact on this individual’s emotional health and well-being? Does it matter to you and if not, why?

Humbly
Hermit