• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual significance of the full moon in various religious and cultural traditions

How do you feel on the day of the Full Moon ?

• Nothing unusual.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Tendency towards mental and emotional agitation or disturbances.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Feeling more energetic

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

ajay0

The full moon for this month May is on fifth, today.

I am interested in knowing the significance of the full moon in various religious and cultural traditions. Also how people tend to feel during these days and anything out of the ordinary !

The lunar calendar is used in Islam, and importance is attached to the new moon as well as the full moon.

The Blessings of the Lunar Calendar - IslamOnline

Traditional moon wisdom states that on the day of the New Moon the body’s capacity for detoxification is at its highest. This is a time, tradition says, to make healthy lifestyle changes, break bad habits and withdraw symptoms of imbalance. This is in complete synchronization with the fact that the prophet used to fast on the days of the full moon, saying, “It is like fasting the whole year.”

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I am interested in knowing the significance of the full moon in various religious and cultural traditions. Also how people tend to feel during these days and anything out of the ordinary !

The lunar calendar is used in Islam, and importance is attached to the new moon as well as the full moon.

It was a beautiful moon last night; it shown in the window on me as I slept.

I tend to feel more agitated, but I'm going to guess a lot of that is because others around me tend towards agitation. The kids are definitely more energetic(and they're hyper on a normal day), so I get a little worn.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Also how people tend to feel during these days and anything out of the ordinary !

I didn’t see the full moon the past evening or night due to the thick clouds here (we’re having lots of rain recently), and simply due to staying indoors. So far, I find that during full moons, there is nothing out of the ordinary as far as non-spiritual matters go. During this one, I spent more time in meditation. There was one odd experience: I had the sensation of hurling toward the great unknown in the area of the third eye. I don’t know how to associate that with Buddha Purnima, if there was any association at all.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I didn’t see the full moon the past evening or night due to the thick clouds here (we’re having lots of rain recently), and simply due to staying indoors. So far, I find that during full moons, there is nothing out of the ordinary as far as non-spiritual matters go. During this one, I spent more time in meditation. There was one odd experience: I had the sensation of hurling toward the great unknown in the area of the third eye. I don’t know how to associate that with Buddha Purnima, if there was any association at all.
We had heavy cloud cover, too.

Hamilton

For me, and lacking a specific recognized religious/spiritual tradition, the Sun represents "That which is commonly called God". The full moon represents the female. I talk (what is "prayer"?) to both. The Sun as it rises, Kheperlike, and shines on my small, golden Surya, catching the first rays. I love to go outside on a full moon night, and offer ("offer"?) gratitude for beauty. At night, the later the better - midnite, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 - quiet, cool, waiting, there is an Ecstasy.

The best lunar calendar is the Hindu. There is an app (not Hindu) - Daff Moon - that keeps track of "lunar days", an important aspect of Hindu astrology.

At times, I have recited a couple of pertinent dua, but that was during the day. And I did Salat al-Kusuf once, but felt no urgency nor benefit.

In Egyptian terms my Djehuti statue reminds me that "God" sees everything, merit matters, and balanve is assured. Sadly I am without Khonsu.

Pity the poor atheist, who has so few gods, and none immaterial, all material, all unreliable.

idea

Question Everything
Looks like I'm the first to feel more energetic. We live next to nature trail, during full moons you can go out at night without a flashlight, it's quite wonderful.

The flipside, you can see more stars without the moon.

Night is an energetic time - escape the summer heat.

ajay0

The full moon for this month is today on July 3. It is called as a Buck moon because the antlers of male deer (bucks) are in full-growth mode at this time.

The days of the new moon and full moon are also considered to be important in Wicca. I found these Wiccan articles informative and useful.

The different phases of the moon’s cycle are significant in some Pagan traditions, especially in Wicca, where the moon is associated with the Goddess. Wiccans believe the inherent spiritual power in nature is greatest on the night of the full moon. They gather at that time to work magick related to increase, fullness, and fruition, such as prosperity or growth. On new moons, Wiccans often gather for ritual that is connected with the unseen or for goals that need a period of gestation.

New moon rituals seems to be focused on setting intentions one wishes to manifest, while full moon rituals are focused on appreciation for personal accomplishments as well as gratitude to the Divine or nature for blessings and providence since the last full moon.

rocala

The full moon has spiritual significance in Japanese culture.

exchemist

Veteran Member

The moon has significance for marine organisms and communities because of the effect on the tides. It also happens that the length of the human menstrual cycle is approximately the same as a lunar cycle - for other mammals it isn’t. The rest of it is superstition, though a number of ideas are embedded in various cultures, just because the moon and its phases are such a prominent feature of the sky.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My rabbi once noted that one of his mentors referred to the Hebrew Calendar as Judaism's catechism.

A number of years ago I had the opportunity of attending a Yemenite Kabbalat Shabbat (Friday evening) service with an Orthodox son-in-law. Attendance was modest and friendly. Nevertheless I recall feeling a bit awkward, particularly when the group suddenly walked outside to perform Kiddush levana -- the Sanctification of the Moon. That, and the Oneg which followed, made the evening more than a little memorable.

Some may find the following interesting:
Intriguing ...

Jedster

Saw this last night(Buck Moon). Awesome to view.

1688387041950.png

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When I was young, I was particularly susceptible to nightmares and other vivid, active dreams during the time of the full moon...especially if it was shining on me while I slept (especially when camping, because I sometimes slept outside of tent or lean-to...

In recent years, I don't get exposed to the full moon while sleeping, so I generally don't find an association...

Except for this morning: started waking up, tossing and turning...for hours...

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
When I was young, I was particularly susceptible to nightmares and other vivid, active dreams during the time of the full moon...especially if it was shining on me while I slept (especially when camping, because I sometimes slept outside of tent or lean-to...

In recent years, I don't get exposed to the full moon while sleeping, so I generally don't find an association...

Except for this morning: started waking up, tossing and turning...for hours...
I find the kids get a little more wound.

I've had teachers tell me similar about school, and police say they get more calls around that time.

wellwisher

In classic symbolism the sun and moon were the two lights of the world. The sun is connected to the conscious mind and light of day, allowing us to clearly see physical and material reality. The other light or moon is connected to the unconscious mind and is the light of night. This is when it is dark and the conscious mind cannot see clearly. The imagination will then become active; living dreams. The full moon, by supplying the most light, at night, offers the most conscious clarity of the night time spiritual world of the unconscious mind and imagination.

The moon was often associated with the female essence, since its full moon to full moon period was similar to the female menstrual cycle; 28 days. The sun is a daily cycle like the male's daily or consistent hormonal levels. Just as the phases of the moon could increase and decrease night light, so did the female moods wax and wane. This was like the moon appearing during the day; wild card in the light of the sun; conscious reality. Selene was the moon goddess and she was worshipped new and full moon; renewal and fertility peaks.

Last edited:

ajay0

There will be two full moons in August 2023. The first is on Tuesday, August 1, 2023, and the second full moon will be on Wednesday, August 30, 2023.

The most common name for the August Full Moon is the Sturgeon Moon. As with other full moon names, it’s inspired by nature and refers to the high numbers of sturgeon caught in high numbers in North America’s Great Lakes.

The Hindu festival of Raksha Bandhan, celebrating the bond between brothers and sisters are celebrated during this time period of the full moon, and is on August 30, the occasion of the second full moon.

I had found this article by Filipino spiritual master Choa Kok Sui ( founder of Modern Pranic Healing and Arhatic Yoga), which
cites the benefits of meditation and spiritual practice during the full moon.

So the question is, what makes people have diverse experiences during the full moon? From insanity, violence, crime, and accidents to romance, spiritual experiences and illumination?

In fact, during full moon, everything will be magnified, good and bad. Therefore, full moon can be both viewed as a time of crisis as well as a time of opportunity. It depends on our overall state and activity during the full moon day to cultivate its positive or negative effects.

Spiritual practitioners in this case, use the magnifying effects of the full moon to deepen their spiritual practice and meditation and to be of greater help to humanity.

On the exact time of the full moon, as well as two days before and 2 days after, the effects are maximum.
Therefore, many practitioners worldwide try to stay away from sensual worldly life and focus their attention to spiritual development. Some further observe certain spiritual disciplines such as fasting to purify their vehicles and prepare themselves for the greater downpour of divine energies.

It is highly advisable thus, even if no spiritual practice is followed, to refrain from various commitments, stay calm and relax the mind during the full moon day to avoid possible emotional and mental fluctuations.