• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Enlightenment and Mental Illness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings

Here's an article I found recently - would be interested to hear what people think.

Are you becoming enlightened or are you just crazy?

It is a question I have asked myself many times! :)

Here's a taste -

So many of the effects of sudden spiritual enlightenment are similar to those of the mentally ill. What if you are just insane?

This is a really important issue. If you are having a psychotic break, then you need help. If you are going through sudden spiritual enlightenment, you should not be mistakenly diagnosed with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. But how can you tell the difference?

I do not have any easy answers for you. I have never been mentally ill, so I have nothing to compare it to, personally. I have been around people who were having psychotic breaks and believed they were finally enlightened. It was pretty scary, really. Here are some things to look out for.

More here -

Enjoy your day

:)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Greetings

Here's an article I found recently - would be interested to hear what people think.

Here's a taste -

So many of the effects of sudden spiritual enlightenment are similar to those of the mentally ill. What if you are just insane?

This is a really important issue. If you are having a psychotic break, then you need help. If you are going through sudden spiritual enlightenment, you should not be mistakenly diagnosed with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. But how can you tell the difference?

I do not have any easy answers for you. I have never been mentally ill, so I have nothing to compare it to, personally. I have been around people who were having psychotic breaks and believed they were finally enlightened. It was pretty scary, really. Here are some things to look out for.

More here -

Enjoy your day

My "spiritual enlightenment" was the acceptance of my own insanity. So now, me and my insanity get along just fine.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There is a vast difference between those intoxicated with God and those with mental illness but it can be sometimes difficult or impossible for those without spiritual insight to separate the two. This kind of spiritual intoxication is observed in the East, especially in India rather than in the West.

Wikipedia has this about such God intoxicated souls:
A mast (pronounced "must")[1], in Sufi philosophy, is a person who is overwhelmed with love for God, accompanied with external disorientation resembling intoxication. The word was coined by Meher Baba and originates from the Sufi term mast-Allah meaning "intoxicated with God" [2] from Persian mast, literally meaning "intoxicated."[3] Another interpretation of its origin is that it is derived from masti, a Persian word meaning "overpowered." [4]

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've met a few fairly inner people in my life, and all of them can 'go normal' when they wish to. The ability to stay grounded when that's useful seems to be part of it. I doubt if many with a mental disorder could control it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Greetings

Here's a taste -

More here -

Enjoy your day

I would say it has more to do with delusion then it is with mental illness.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Greetings

Here's a taste -

More here -

Enjoy your day

I have been through mental illnesses for many years and they could not cure me. I was in and out of mental institutions, put in strait jackets and given 6 courses of electric shock treatment but in the end it was finding Baha’u’llah which cured me by bringing spiritual life to my soul, mind and spirit. But the effect of being spiritually enlightened completely reversed my behaviour and made me normal again. There was an ocean of difference between when I was suffering depression and when I found Baha’u’llah and changed. No similarities whatsoever.

After 6 suicide attempts now I have been a Baha’i for 45 years, have a beautiful wife for 41 years, have found inner peace, contentment, joy and happiness and am living proof of the healing power of Baha’u’llah.

Spiritual life and mental illness I believe are opposite poles. One leads to misery and the other leads to joy. To me they are both distinctly discernible and one cannot be mistaken for the other where Baha’u’llah is concerned as His teachings focus on being logical, rational, reasonable and of sound mind. Things like moderation are taught and fanaticism is forbidden so there are many safeguards to train the mind in healthy ways in our teachings.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I have been through mental illnesses for many years and they could not cure me. I was in and out of mental institutions, put in strait jackets and given 6 courses of electric shock treatment but in the end it was finding Baha’u’llah which cured me by bringing spiritual life to my soul, mind and spirit. But the effect of being spiritually enlightened completely reversed my behaviour and made me normal again. There was an ocean of difference between when I was suffering depression and when I found Baha’u’llah and changed. No similarities whatsoever.

After 6 suicide attempts now I have been a Baha’i for 45 years, have a beautiful wife for 41 years, have found inner peace, contentment, joy and happiness and am living proof of the healing power of Baha’u’llah.

Spiritual life and mental illness I believe are opposite poles. One leads to misery and the other leads to joy. To me they are both distinctly discernible and one cannot be mistaken for the other where Baha’u’llah is concerned as His teachings focus on being logical, rational, reasonable and of sound mind. Things like moderation are taught and fanaticism is forbidden so there are many safeguards to train the mind in healthy ways in our teachings.

Thanks for sharing your story - I have had similar "luck" after being really messed up for a couple of decades.

Meditation has been the key for me - I doubt if I could have survived with most of my marbles if I hadn't been virtually forced to do "something" with my chaotic mind - not always plain sailing but I am more than content just at the moment.

Sounds like you have found the right "solution" for yourself. Hope it continues ...

All the best!