• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Activities and Your Panentheism

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if I am understanding correctly.

I think i can be described as a monotheistic panentheist.
My spiritual activities are based on recognizing the Divine oneness that is inherent in the creation and communing with that Oneness.
Practically, that would include contemplating the Divine that is present in the general goings-on in the world in general, or the Divine inherent in a specific object in the world.
Also, in trying to raise myself to a greater degree of oneness by imitating the Divine Oneness.

Is this correct?

That sounds a tad more pantheistic..

Treks

I agree with you disciple, that Tumah appears to be describing pantheism rather than panentheism. The +10 was for his expression of the spiritual experience he spoke of.

My comment to Quintessence about the difference only being two letters was a joke, to encourage other replies.

We can got into the details of the difference between pantheism and panentheism in another thread; an existing one can probably be revived.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
I practice Bhakti Yoga, meditation from various spiritual traditions, and get into Nature, mostly.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
My spiritual activities?

I live, breathe, eat, drink, and partake in miscellaneous activities with my family and friends. It's all part of spiritual bliss.

Haryaksha

Heck, when I fill my feeders for the winged ones, I usually say a few words of blessing. Simple, everyday things that are part of my way of life.

For me too, feeding birds is a spiritual practice. In Hinduism, it is all part of Yoga (union). Direct worship of the Gods is bhakti yoga. Taking care of animals is a form of karma/seva yoga. They are all connected, just as all of Nature is interconnected.

Gardening is also a spiritual activity for me. I foster my connection to the Divine by directly working with the Earth. I aim to consciously recognize Brahman in the soil, plants, and insects. I sometimes chant the names of the Gods as I garden, and it all becomes something of a meditative practice. Additionally, it also connects to karma yoga when I give vegetables and herbs from my garden to friends and family.

It is all part of the Divine cosmic play of living, learning, loving, and giving.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say that I am probably a panentheist in that I believe God is in all things and that all things are in God. My religious tradition has a long and rich history of "nature mysticism", for instance in the Franciscan order and the Jesuits.

The old Baltimore Catechism, which taught lay Catholics living in 19th century America their faith, stated plainly:

"...Q. 166. Where is God?

A. God is everywhere.

Q. 167. How is God everywhere?

A. God is everywhere whole and entire as He is in any one place. This is true and we must believe it, though we cannot understand it.

Q. 168. If God is everywhere, why do we not see Him?

A. We do not see God, because He is a pure spirit and cannot be seen with bodily eyes.

Q. 169. Why do we call God a "pure spirit"?

A. We call God a pure spirit because He has no body. Our soul is a spirit, but not a "pure" spirit, because it was created for union with our body..."

- The Baltimore Catechism (1885)

There are two spiritual exercises that pertain to my panentheistic beliefs, one derived from Franciscan spirituality and the other from the Jesuits.

The inspiration behind all later Franciscan panentheism was the words and example of St. Francis of Assisi, particularly this famous prayer of his, which I often reflect on. It is called "The Canticle of the Sun":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canticle_of_the_Sun

Most high, all powerful, all good Lord!
All praise is Yours, all glory, all honor, and all blessing.

To You, alone, Most High, do they belong.
No mortal lips are worthy to pronounce Your name.

Be praised, my Lord, through all Your creatures,
especially through my lord Brother Sun,
who brings the day; and You give light through him.
And he is beautiful and radiant in all his splendor!
Of You, Most High, he bears the likeness.

Be praised, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars;
in the heavens You have made them bright, precious and beautiful.

Be praised, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air,
and clouds and storms, and all the weather,
through which You give Your creatures sustenance.

Be praised, my Lord, through Sister Water;
she is very useful, and humble, and precious, and pure.

Be praised, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
through whom You brighten the night.
He is beautiful and cheerful, and powerful and strong.

Be praised, my Lord, through our sister Mother Earth,
who feeds us and rules us,
and produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs.

Be praised, my Lord, through those who forgive for love of You;
through those who endure sickness and trial.

Happy those who endure in peace,
for by You, Most High, they will be crowned.

Be praised, my Lord, through our sister Bodily Death,
from whose embrace no living person can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin!
Happy those she finds doing Your most holy will.
The second death can do no harm to them.

Praise and bless my Lord, and give thanks,
and serve Him with great humility.

I often use St. Francis' disciple, St. Bonaventura's method of prayer which uses six steps, the first being this one:

Praying with St Bonaventure

1. Finding God in the created world

Bonaventure was born in the Italian town of Bagnoregio in the year 1217. Healed through the prayer of his mother from a serious illness at age 11, he went on to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers of his time. He studied and then taught theology at the university of Paris, joined the Franciscan order at 36, and became its Minister General at 40. On retreat at La Verna, where St Francis had received his famous vision of a winged seraph, Bonaventure was inspired with an understanding of how the human soul may draw near to God in prayer. This led to the writing of his most famous work, The Journey of the Mind to God.

Often called the ‘second founder’ of the Franciscan order, Bonaventure preserved Francis’ emphasis on simplicity whilst giving the movement structural stability and theological coherence. His writings are characterised by the conviction that the intellectual and emotional aspects of the spiritual life should work together. Made a Cardinal in 1273, he died in 1274. He was canonised in 1482.

"The universe itself is a ladder by which we can ascend into God. Let us place our first step in the ascent at the bottom, presenting to ourselves the whole material world as a mirror through which we may pass over to God, the supreme Craftsman".

We begin by using our senses to contemplate the natural world, for in it we find the footprints of the Creator. Every element of the world outside is a shadow, echo and picture of the eternal God, for ever since the creation of the world, God’s eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made (Romans 1.20). And as we observe with our senses, so we wonder with our imagination at the power, wisdom and goodness of God.

It was Francis himself who first looked to the natural world, rather than to the power and pomp of the Church, for the basis of his spirituality. And through the ages the natural world has been a constant source of inspiration to those with the time to stop and stare. The rippling of the wind across a sea of ripened wheat, footprint of the Spirit of God sweeping over the face of the waters; the soaring of kites on a rising thermal, picture of trust and provision; the delicate symmetrical beauty of flaked ice crystals, reflection of the order which binds the universe – all draw us towards God.

Much of Bonaventure’s own delight was in the presence of number in the universe: the pattern of music and dance, proportion as the basis of beauty, the existence of number within the human mind.

Finally, I will refer you to the Jesuit method as well:

Ignatian Spirituality | Finding God in All Things

Finding God in All Things

Throughout much of the world, the Jesuits are best known for their colleges, universities, and high schools. But in a time when many are searching for greater meaning, another aspect of Jesuit life is attracting wide interest. And that is the unique spirituality introduced nearly 500 years ago by St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits.

Ignatius was a Spanish soldier and aristocrat who discerned his calling after suffering nearly fatal wounds on the battlefield. He established the Society of Jesus in 1540, instructing the early Jesuits — to go out and "find God in all things." That is the signature spirituality of the Jesuits.

Ignatian spirituality is grounded in the conviction that God is active in our world. As the great Jesuit paleontologist Pierre Teilhard de Chardin wrote: "God is not remote from us. He is at the point of my pen, my pick, my paintbrush, my needle — and my heart and my thoughts." The spiritual path laid out by Ignatius is a way of discerning God's presence in our everyday lives. And doing something about it.

The Jesuits have a handbook for this search. It is The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola, composed by the saint before he was even a priest. Often described as Ignatius's greatest gift to the world, these exercises unfold a dynamic process of prayer, meditation, and self-awareness. The basic thrust is to make us more attentive to God's activity in our world, more responsive to what God is calling us to do. Ignatian spiritual directors accompany or guide people through the exercises in retreat houses, parishes, and other settings

Last edited:

Haryaksha

That's nice, Vouthon. St. Francis is definitely my favorite Catholic saint. I was also delighted when Pope Francis, inspired by his namesake, recently spoke out against environmental degradation, particularly the destruction of the Amazon.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
As a Hindu with a decidedly Panentheistic outlook, my spiritual activities range from the simple, such as walking through the rain chanting the various names of the Gods; to the more organized, such as attending puja with the community at temple.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Hello

What kind of spiritual activities do you engage in (if any) as a panentheist?

Oneness/emptiness meditation is probably the most profound, although I couldn't tell you how I actually achieved that state of mind. I just use the SilvaUltraMind 321 technique, and it takes me there sometimes randomly lol. It's a basic meditation technique, but it's one that I still use on a regular basis, and is consequently the technique I have used when reaching the deepest, most profound levels of consciousness that I have ever experienced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05TwQ6OYXW0

I also do "standing tree" meditations, but have kind of gotten out of the habit of doing it, but it's a great way to experience a connection with the universe while staying connected to the earth.
Zhan zhuang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also like doing general awareness practices that help you to better connect with the things around you. You basically just try to notice the characteristics of your surroundings at all times while still holding your focus on your everyday life. It's pretty difficult at first, but very rewarding.

I also like talking to nature. It's amazing the perspective you can gain when you talk to trees. They are very wise indeed. :D

Is panentheism a philosophical idea you believe in, in addition to an established religion you follow?

Thanks

For me panenthiesm is more of a philosophy than an established religion. As evidence by the wide array of religious adherents that have commented on this thread. Pan(en)theism is a belief that can be held regardless of which religious system you follow. I would even wager to say that most religions promote this ideal in one way or another.

Panenthiesm also drives my scientific outlook too, and vice versa as well. The deeper I delve into science, specifically quantum physics, the more I see how everything is interconnected. I would even say my scientific inquiry is what lead me to hold to this philosophical/religious concept as ironic as that is LOL. I have found that in one way or another everything in the universe, at least the observable universe, is able to affect my being on some level, so pantheism/panenthiesm seemed natural for me.

And I still hold the belief that there is also an elementary quantum particle that everything is composed of, that we have not, and may not ever, discover which even lends itself more to a pan(en)theistic viewpoint.

Not easy to remember at all but a great ethical foundation.

And so it leads that one of the pan(en)theist's spiritual practices might be reminding oneself of this fact as often as possible, which within Sikhi is known as 'Naam simran'.

YES, I totally agree with this. Constantly reminding yourself that all is you, and all is divine, is probably the most fundamental practice with an emphasis on pan(en)theism. It is indeed difficult, but it is very rewarding.

Exactly! :yes:

There is nothing more spiritual than simply being.

This is very true as well, and is probably one of the most difficult aspects of spirituality, but also one of the most rewarding.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Is "soham" anything like "Om"?
Does anyone else have a meditative practice related to their pan(en)theistic spirituality?

I have a pantheistic view, and I meditate. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what panENtheism actually is. Until then, I'm a bundle of contradictions: pantheistic mystic atheist whose main spiritual practice is meditation.

Goblin

Sorcerer
Being present, & becoming more unbiased
are good starts to pantheist practice, Meditation .
As well As some sort of occult practice, rituals, mantras, etc.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Panentheism is a theological framework, not a full religion, so there won't be a standard answer.

If you're looking for individual replies, though....

All the things I do anyway as a neopagan and UU, only my theology means that these things are done to contribute to the Becoming (maturation of God) above all else.

maggie2

Hello

What kind of spiritual activities do you engage in (if any) as a panentheist?

Is panentheism a philosophical idea you believe in, in addition to an established religion you follow?

Thanks
I try to be aware of my surroundings and give thanks for all things. I am particularly touched spiritually when I am out in nature. I also feed the birds and find that a connection with the Divine. When something in nature touches my heart strings I actually feel a deep, deep pull in the area of my heart. It is a powerful connection with nature, which to me, is all a part of God.

I also connect through music and reading certain books that deal with science, particularly quantum physics. And I love to see the stars at night. They remind me of the phenomenal universe to which we all belong.

For me, panentheism is a philosophy. I don't follow any particular religious practice at the moment. I come from the Christian church but have long since been on a spiritual rather than a religious path. My spiritual practices include the things I mentioned above, being with family and friends and trying to be more present every day in the now among other things. Oh yes, and great discussions about spirituality.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Let me remind you I'm Schizophrenic!

The Gods seem argumentive over it, it seems to be an argument at the moment... None of them seem particular in taking command. : )))))))))))))))))))))))))