• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit (Immortal) & Resurrection

Hawkins

That depends on whether you are looking up a dictionary in the year of 2015 or a dictionary in the year of 30 AD.

Kolibri

But to ''give up his spirit'' as the lord did at his crucifixion, does that not mean he died, he lost his life giving ''breath''.
It is the Self (soul) that is us, the inner part, is it not?

the words soul and spirit are never really interchangeable, though they both have multiple meanings. Jesus did entrust his future life to his God. That spark could be returned. But Psalms 146:4 says what happens at the moment of death.

His spirit (or "breath.") goes out, he returns to the ground;
On that very day his thoughts perish.
Happy is the one who has the God of Jacob as his helper,
Whose hope is in Jehovah his God.
- Psalm 146:4,5

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
So how then is it written, Fear him who can kill both body and soul in the valley of hinnom?
That scripture proves we have a spirit that does not die.
God can destroy our spirit in hell, but man cannot kill our spirit.

Yes

1 Corinthians 12:12, 13 again. I do not mind being corrected. And have been often. But this scripture too seems clear. The congregation is said to have "one body" and "one spirit."
The saved are given one Holy Spirit. That does not mean we each are not flesh and spirit. There are scriptures that say we are flesh and spirit.

Hebrews 12:9, Zechariah 12:1, and Malachi 2:15.

Zechariah 12:1 shows us that the spirit has a form.

Stop confusing the scriptures about the Holy Spirit from the scriptures about our own spirit.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
That scripture proves we have a spirit that does not die.
God can destroy our spirit in hell, but man cannot kill our spirit.
hmmm... so you are saying that you think the spirit IS the person, not the soul? What is the soul then?

moorea944

1. The words, "spirit" ("pneuma") and "soul" ("psuche") are used in a variety of ways in Scripture. However, they are never referred to as conscious immortal entities within man.

2. It is likely that in the passage under consideration by "spirit" is meant "mind"1, and by "soul" is meant "life". The expression, "spirit and soul and body" is synonymous with the whole person. Consider the following:

a. Spirit, soul and body are synonymous with the whole person since the preceding words, "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly" imply a parallelism between the two expressions.

b. The word "spirit" is used elsewhere by the Apostle Paul as synonymous with the "mind". For example:

i. "For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit . . . " (1 Cor. 5:3).

ii "That ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind . . . " (Phil. 1:27).

iii See also 1 Cor. 7:34; 2 Cor. 7:1.

c. The word "soul" is used elsewhere by the Apostle for "life". For example.....

i "So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us." (1 Thess. 2:8).

ii "Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul . . . " (2 Cor. 1:23).

3. A corpse is a body without life. An idiot is a body with a soul (life), but with only an improperly functioning spirit (mind). It is the person with spirit and soul and body - the whole person, which Paul prays may be "preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

4. If the body is destroyed, then necessarily the life and mind cease to function. In death there is a dissolution of being. (Ecc. 9:5,6; Psa. 146:4).

Yes

the words soul and spirit are never really interchangeable, though they both have multiple meanings. Jesus did entrust his future life to his God. That spark could be returned. But Psalms 146:4 says what happens at the moment of death.

Paul proves that our spirits can live the body while the body is still alive.

2 Corinthians 12:3 And I know that this man--whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows--

Kolibri

But surely each one of them had a relationship with God, did they not?

I am not sure all of those resurrected had developed a personal relationship with God, 3 were children.
Post-death judging will not be based on deeds done in the life now. Rather it will be on their deeds after resurrection.
Those that have died already paid for all their sins up to that point.

"For the wages sin pays is death." - Roman 6:23a

Last edited:

Yes

1. The words, "spirit" ("pneuma") and "soul" ("psuche") are used in a variety of ways in Scripture. However, they are never referred to as conscious immortal entities within man.

2. It is likely that in the passage under consideration by "spirit" is meant "mind"1, and by "soul" is meant "life". The expression, "spirit and soul and body" is synonymous with the whole person. Consider the following:

a. Spirit, soul and body are synonymous with the whole person since the preceding words, "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly" imply a parallelism between the two expressions.

b. The word "spirit" is used elsewhere by the Apostle Paul as synonymous with the "mind". For example:

i. "For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit . . . " (1 Cor. 5:3).

ii "That ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind . . . " (Phil. 1:27).

iii See also 1 Cor. 7:34; 2 Cor. 7:1.

c. The word "soul" is used elsewhere by the Apostle for "life". For example.....

i "So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us." (1 Thess. 2:8).

ii "Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul . . . " (2 Cor. 1:23).

3. A corpse is a body without life. An idiot is a body with a soul (life), but with only an improperly functioning spirit (mind). It is the person with spirit and soul and body - the whole person, which Paul prays may be "preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

4. If the body is destroyed, then necessarily the life and mind cease to function. In death there is a dissolution of being. (Ecc. 9:5,6; Psa. 146:4).

Our mind, our feelings, our conscious, that is our spirit. If anyone gets a modern English version Bible, you can easily see that whenever the bible talks about our soul, it is at that time concerned with our living body (our physical living body with its spirit).

Whenever the bible talks about our spirit, it is concentrating on our spirit, our spirit whether in our body or out of our body.

Whenever the bible talks about our body, it is speaking of a living physical body or a dead physical body.

A soul is a physical body alive with a spirit. The body is dead without the spirit (James 2:26), and the spirit lives on after death of the body.

Refer to 1 Thessalonians. We can see that God will sanctify us through and through, our whole spirit (spirit without a body), soul (spirit and body together), and our body (with or without our spirit/dead or alive). God truly sanctifies us through and through.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Kolibri

2 Corinthians 12:3 And I know that this man--whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows--

Paul here was referring to rapturous vision. He relates that he had become disorientated as regards to whether or not he was where he saw himself.

Kolibri

All have an immortal spirit, even those who are not Christians.

However, receiving the Holy Spirit and obeying Jesus gives light to our spirits, thus making our spirits come more alive.

Jesus says he gives life to our spirits.

I would say you are confusing 3 different definitions for spirit. (out of the 6, listed in the OP)
the spark that keeps corporeal life living / the holy spirit / a motivating mental disposition.

Yes

Paul here was referring to rapturous vision. He relates that he had become disorientated as regards to whether or not he was where he saw himself.
Say what Paul says! Paul SAYS whether in the body OR OUT OF THE BODY.

Believe what is written.

Yes

I would say you are confusing 3 different definitions for spirit. (out of the 6, listed in the OP)
the spark that keeps corporeal life living / the holy spirit / a motivating mental disposition.

You do not say what the scriptures say. The scriptures do not say the spark that keeps corporeal life living is the Holy Spirit and a motivating mental disposition.

Speak according to the scriptures. Do not lean to the left or to the right of what is written. Do not go beyond what is written either.

Kolibri

You do not say what the scriptures say. The scriptures do not say the spark that keeps corporeal life living is the Holy Spirit and a motivating mental disposition.

Speak according to the scriptures. Do not lean to the left or to the right of what is written. Do not go beyond what is written either.

I know you are not deliberately misunderstanding me. These definitions are not interchangeable. But they all come from the Greek word pneu'ma.
The English word grace has some 14 different meanings. Likewise pneu'ma has 6 as used in the Bible. Which definition applies to which verse is what is getting confused.

Yes

I know you are not deliberately misunderstanding me. These definitions are not interchangeable. But they all come from the Greek word pneu'ma.
The English word grace has some 14 different meanings. Likewise pneu'ma has 6 as used in the Bible. Which definition applies to which verse is what is getting confused.
You are the confused one.
Stop bringing up Greek.
We do not have to learn another language to know God's Truth!
The Bible has been translated to English.

moorea944

Our mind, our feelings, our conscious, that is our spirit. If anyone gets a modern English version Bible, you can easily see that whenever the bible talks about our soul, it is at that time concerned with our living body (our physical living body with its spirit).

Whenever the bible talks about our spirit, it is concentrating on our spirit, our spirit whether in our body or out of our body.

Whenever the bible talks about our body, it is speaking of a living physical body or a dead physical body.

A soul is a physical body alive with a spirit. The body is dead without the spirit (James 2:26), and the spirit lives on after death of the body.
Again, your viewing spirit differently than the bible's spirit and soul

Refer to 1 Thessalonians. We can see that God will sanctify us through and through, our whole spirit (spirit without a body), soul (spirit and body together), and our body (with or without our spirit/dead or alive). God truly sanctifies us through and through.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

we-live-now

Moving a topic out of the thread "The Trinity."

Is "spirit" as defined in the Hebrew Scriptures suddenly changed when we read the Christian Greek Scriptures?
Do all somehow gain immortal spirits upon becoming Christians?
Or is immortality something that is gained after death and only with a resurrection to heavenly life?
Do Christians really die upon death, thus needing a resurrection?
Is the idea that Christians having an immortal soul while still human a variant of the serpent's lie in the Garden of Eden?
Is immortality even a Biblical hope held out for humans that will stay humans?
(the last question is for those that feel God's Kingdom will be restored as an earthy government.)
My position to these questions will be: no, no, yes, yes, yes, no.

I am including definitions, as I understand these terms to give us a starting point for this discussion.
  • Resurrection.
    A rising up from death. The Greek word a·na′sta·sis literally means “raising up; standing up.” Nine resurrections are mentioned in the Bible, including the resurrection of Jesus by Jehovah God. Although other resurrections were performed through Elijah, Elisha, Jesus, Peter, and Paul, these miracles are clearly attributed to God’s power. The earthly resurrection of “both the righteous and the unrighteous” is essential to God’s purpose. (Ac 24:15) The Bible also mentions a heavenly resurrection, termed “the earlier” or “the first” resurrection, involving the spirit-anointed brothers of Jesus.—Php 3:11; Re 20:5,6; Joh 5:28,29; 11:25.
  • Soul.
    The traditional rendering of the Hebrew word ne′phesh and the Greek word psy·khe′. In examining the way these terms are used in the Bible, it becomes evident that they basically refer to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal has. (Ge 1:20; 2:7; Nu 31:28; 1Pe 3:21) In contrast to the way that the term “soul” is used in many religious contexts, the Bible shows that both ne′phesh and psy·khe′, in connection with earthly creatures, refer to that which is material, tangible, visible, and mortal. When referring to doing something with one’s whole soul, it means to do it with one’s whole being, wholeheartedly, or with one’s whole life. (De 6:5; Mt 22:37) In some contexts, these original-language words can be used to refer to the desire or appetite of a living creature. They can also refer to a dead person or a dead body.—Nu 6:6; Pr 23:2; Isa 56:11; Hag 2:13.
  • Spirit.
    The Hebrew word ru′ach and the Greek word pneu′ma, often translated “spirit,” have a number of meanings. All of them refer to that which is invisible to human sight and gives evidence of force in motion. The Hebrew and Greek words are used with reference to (1) wind, (2) the active life-force in earthly creatures, (3) the impelling force that issues from a person’s figurative heart and causes him to say and do things in a certain way, (4) inspired expressions originating from an invisible source, (5) spirit persons, and (6) God’s active force, or holy spirit.—Ex 35:21; Ps 104:29; Mt 12:43; Lu 11:13
@Yes - the first 5 questions are tailored for your scriptural response (sorry for so many - you may limit your response as you see fit.).
@moorea944 - the last one is for you if you like.

What scriptures would you use to show that, since the advent of Christianity, humans have deathlessness of a spirit body before they die physically?

Hey, great question.

Have you studied the original words of Genesis and actually drew out what was really occurring? It will take some time, but it will answer your questions in full. I have been doing it the past 2 years and what I found is nothing short of astounding. We actually have a single spirit (man) but he is divided into master and slave (husband and wife). We also have a soul that is also divided with part "inner" behind the veil and part "outer' outside the veil. That's right the garden is actually split into two different realms. One called "the garden" and one called "the garden of Eden". Same for our body. We have a "spiritual" body that is inner and a natural body that is "outer". One is mortal and is "flesh" and will die in the true (spiritual) circumcision of the outer man. The other is immortal and will live forever as it contains the "seed of the woman" who is Christ both the "first" and the "last" (Adam). The seed just needs to be planted into the "Earth" of a natural body and be watered and heated up by the "sun" (trials and tribulations of this life/death) before it germinates and springs forth true life from within.

I know to some die hard Christians, this will sound like I am smoking crack. I thought I was too at first! That's because we have been taught what man thinks the Bible says and not what it REALLY says in the original Words.

If you are interested, download this free Interlinear Scripture Analyzer (ISA) at www.scripture4all.org. This has been one of the most amazing tools to help me understand what God is really saying.

moorea944

Hey, great question.

Have you studied the original words of Genesis and actually drew out what was really occurring? It will take some time, but it will answer your questions in full. I have been doing it the past 2 years and what I found is nothing short of astounding. We actually have a single spirit (man) but he is divided into master and slave (husband and wife). We also have a soul that is also divided with part "inner" behind the veil and part "outer' outside the veil. That's right the garden is actually split into two different realms. One called "the garden" and one called "the garden of Eden". Same for our body. We have a "spiritual" body that is inner and a natural body that is "outer". One is mortal and is "flesh" and will die in the true (spiritual) circumcision of the outer man. The other is immortal and will live forever as it contains the "seed of the woman" who is Christ both the "first" and the "last" (Adam). The seed just needs to be planted into the "Earth" of a natural body and be watered and heated up by the "sun" (trials and tribulations of this life/death) before it germinates and springs forth true life from within.

I know to some die hard Christians, this will sound like I am smoking crack. I thought I was too at first! That's because we have been taught what man thinks the Bible says and not what it REALLY says in the original Words.

If you are interested, download this free Interlinear Scripture Analyzer (ISA) at www.scripture4all.org. This has been one of the most amazing tools to help me understand what God is really saying.
Thanks for sharing that! I've been using ISA for years. Love it!! It's helped me so much in my studies!!

Clear

Premium Member
Kolibri #22 : “ the words soul and spirit are never really interchangeable, though they both have multiple meanings. Jesus did entrust his future life to his God. That spark could be returned. But Psalms 146:4 says what happens at the moment of death.

Yes in # 36 “Stop bringing up Greek.”

Hi Kolibri :

Though it is quite silly and counterproductive for Yes to ask anyone to stop bringing up the original meaning of a word or text, Psalms 146:4-5 does not tell us “thoughts” perish (if one is using the greek LXX as a source). The translation of διαλογισμοι as “thoughts” is incorrect. Doug Moo and his group noticed this and render the greek as “plans” in the NIV. That is, when the spirit departs the body upon death, any “plans” made during life come to nothing.

The word Διαλογιζομαι (Dialogizomai) is related to the English word dialogue and exhaustive treatments of the word by early Koine linguists, showed that it was never given the discrete meaning of “thought” (i.e. “cogitation”) in any Koine text found to the 19th century, but instead has judicial usage as it’s base historical context.

For example, in P Ryl II. 74 it is used in it’s typical meaning of holding a discussion and examination upon a subject. It meant holding "court" of some type (whether one is making his own judgment or an official court judgment).

For example, in P Oxy. III. 484:24 "...the praefect Avidius Heliodorus holds his auspicious court…”, διαλογιζηται was used for “court” or “examination” of a premise.

In Vettius Valens p. 245:26 it is used to mean “discuss” or “examine” which also was part of the process of considering through dialogue and coming to a decision (a judgment).

The common relationship in all of its uses was that it referred to an examination of a premise which undergoes “deliberation” or “questioning” in the process of coming to a decision or judgment.

Thus, when it is used in James 2:4 the translation is, again, faulty. It is not “evil thoughts” (KJV) that the judges are guilty of, but rather, the judges are guilty of making corrupt and evil “decisions” and corrupt “judgments”.

My point in this post is that Psalms 146:4-5 does NOT tell us that “thoughts perish”. The concept of ceasing deliberations and ceasing interactions with other mortals and ceasing discussions and plans for mortality can certainly be made, but the term does not refer to ceasing thought or ceasing cognition.

Kolibri, I hope your journey is good.

Clear
ειφιειω

P.S. I believe you are perfectly correct that originally, the words for "soul" and "spirit" were not the same thing at all.

One difficulty is that translations have often interchanged these words so that they lost some textual distinction over time (as did many other terms). If the Massorah demonstrates anything, it is that the Jewish texts in their many versions were just as contaminated and confused and error prone as the Christian texts themselves became. Since there are no originals of either sets, I do not see a way to clarify and fix the texts at this point.

The Massorites who created the Textus Recepus expressed the a tradition that when Elias came, he would correct errors in the Jewish texts. I hope they are correct in this belief and that he'll correct christian texts as well.

Last edited: