• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Special Pleading and the PoE (Part 2)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
That was not my response. I said: “I can say that means God is benevolent because suffering is beneficial but that is just my personal opinion.”

There is evidence that suffering can be beneficial and it is not even hidden. All you have to do is ask people who have suffered if they were benefited and they will be happy to tell you. Who would know more about these people, you or them?

Ok, to make this argument though, you will have to make the argument that suffering is always beneficial. So for instance, what is beneficial about a young child suffering horribly from bone cancer and then dying; what could they possibly gain from that? You argue that suffering in this life prepares us (somehow) for the afterlife: in what sense does being born only to suffer and die prepare someone?

Let's talk about my suffering. I was in an accident that caused irreparable damage to my laryngeal nerve. It rendered me unable to speak, and for a while immense difficulty breathing or swallowing (at least that doesn't linger). Now, I could make some soppy story about how this has forced me to be a better listener and observer in life, and things like this. I could talk about how I'm used to it now, and find ways around it. But at the end of the day, I don't really think this suffering has "made me a better person." I'm pursuing the same dreams (in fact this threw me off quite a bit, I'm finishing my MS in my 30's because of all the depression and roadblocks and stuff). My ethical and moral decisions weren't affected by this. I'd just as soon rather had this not have happened to me. Where is the benefit?

Regardless of the fact that you'd have to support the premise that all suffering is beneficial in order to avoid the PoE's conclusions, do you have any particular examples of suffering you can bring up that are beneficial; where an omnipotent-omniscient deity would have literally no other way to reach the beneficial outcome?

There is no need to go through all these gyrations. Nothing is hidden. All you have to do is ask people who have suffered how it has benefitted them. I listen to Christian radio and I hear these testimonies all the time. Are you going to say you know more about them these people than they know about themselves?

I am not saying I know more about people than themselves. I am saying that for any such testimony (I would have to see examples first), there is probably a better way to reach the outcome than if a person has suffered to get there.

That’s right, so the very fact that God does not circumvent suffering to accomplish the goal tells you that is not the best way to accomplish the goal, because an omniscient God would have to know the best way to accomplish His goals of all available options.

How do you know that God causes suffering for benevolent reasons though? How do you know it isn't simply because God doesn't care that suffering exists, or has malevolent reasons for it to exist? Is this just based on faith?

But it is not congruent with reality to talk about things that can never harm you. This is a physical world so there will always be things that can harm you, as physical things cause harm. Not only can the physical body be harmed by accidents and injuries and diseases, but the soul can also be harmed by the choices people make.

It is possible to have a physical world where physical things cannot harm you, though. That's the point. An omnipotent/omniscient being could create such a world. Pointing out that in this world that isn't the case is a moot point.

As we make certain choices, if we make the wrong choice and suffer from that choice we learn not to make the same choice again and our life gradually improves. For example, I rented to a sex offender and he tried to sue me for damages and made my life a holy living hell for almost two years. I will never make that mistake again. Since that happened I have rented to two different tenants who were/are picture perfect. But I had to suffer to learn my lesson.

Do you see how if there were no sex offenders because sex offense would be impossible in another world, that you wouldn't have to learn to avoid renting to sex offenders (because you would never have that risk to take)? This is like the example of the hot stove: you don't have to suffer to learn not to touch a hot stove if a hot stove can never harm you in the first place. So why should that kind of suffering exist?

I can give you many more real life examples but some of these are too painful to describe. I have made many mistakes and I suffered from them but I will never make those mistakes again. Some things that happened to me that I suffered from were not my mistakes, they were mistakes other people made that caused me to suffer, but those people probably learned from those mistakes.

The primary benefit of suffering in this life in the material world is so we will be free of suffering in the spiritual world (afterlife). Suffering in this life helps mold our character and grow spiritually, and since what we become in this life is what we will carry to the afterlife, future suffering in the afterlife will be alleviated by suffering in this life. The caveat is that we won’t see those benefits until we enter the next life. That is why faith is required.

I certainly don't want you to do anything that would make you uncomfortable. Hypothetical examples and other examples are fine if giving an example of suffering that benefits.

However, I predict that for examples involving physical suffering, it will always be possible to have reached a beneficial outcome without that physical suffering having ever taken place. (Or, alternatively, that if the physical suffering leads to some beneficial outcome, that beneficial outcome would be a moot point if there was no physical suffering in the first place; like the hot stove example I keep giving).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We're not going to run this racetrack again. In the post from you that I quoted, you chastise people for wanting your god to "end suffering because we don't like it", and then immediately after give your child whining about ice cream flavors. Nowhere before is anyone leveling criticism of suffering (laid at the feet of your "all powerful god") in such a petty level as mild inconveniences or slights against preference. When people say that your god, if he is "all powerful" and "all good", should be able to end suffering, it is greater things that are being spoken of; such as famine, drought, and disease.

As said, that take is purely asinine. And if you now didn't mean for such a comparison to be made, perhaps next time think about what counter-criticisms you make (though I would relish to see the person that enjoys suffering,) followed by whatever inane metaphors or allegories that will inevitably carry over and be associated with such statements.
Let's straighten this out right now. When I said "How utterly childish to want God to end suffering just because you don't like it." I was referring to ALL kinds of suffering, and it had nothing to do with ice cream flavors.

That little expose: "Mama, I want chocolate ice cream, not vanilla. Give me chocolate" was only for the purpose of demonstrating how childish people are who want God to end suffering.

You said: "When people say that your god, if he is "all powerful" and "all good", should be able to end suffering, it is greater things that are being spoken of; such as famine, drought, and disease."

Oh, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. This is so pathetic. Why should God end any suffering that is the result of famine, drought, and disease?

Don't bother answering, I already know the answer: "because God is omnipotent."
So because God is omnipotent God should do what humans can do on their own, what they are FULLY responsible for.

Thank God most people who believe in God know better. If everyone thought this way the world would be much worse than it is because everyone would be sitting around making excuses for why they aren't doing anything, because it is "God's job."

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
When I said "How utterly childish to want God to end suffering just because you don't like it." I was referring to ALL kinds of suffering, and it had nothing to do with ice cream flavors.

That little expose: "Mama, I want chocolate ice cream, not vanilla. Give me chocolate" was only for the purpose of demonstrating how childish people are who want God to end suffering.
So you did demean by comparison peoples suffering to petty annoyances. How vile.

Why should God end any suffering that is the result of famine, drought, and disease?
No, not omnipotence. Because people like you claim that your god is the greatest source of Good, the most Benevolent and Loving being in the whole of existence, the source of all light and salvation and blah blah blah.

He's no better than Jeff Bezos, only rather than blasting off to space in a financial [REDACTED]-measuring contest, your god only kills the people he doesn't approve of. How magnanimous.

Thank the gods there are more people who realize the reality, and actively work to help - actually help - their fellow man.

ADD: Since you're so keen to your little "exposé" comparing the pains and horrors of suffering to whining over [REDACTED] ice cream flavors, I think you should go to a country steeped in suffering, surrounded by those overburdened with poverty, famine, and sickness, and be forced to do nothing more than tell them to cheer up and that it's not so bad. You know, like a mother would do to a child whining about bloody ice cream.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Harm: physical injury, especially that which is deliberately inflicted.
https://www.google.com/search?q=harm

Those don't fit the definition of harm. Want to try another word?

"harm

noun

physical injury or mental damage; hurt:to do him bodily harm.

moral injury; evil; wrong."

Definition of harm | Dictionary.com

"harm
(härm)
n.
1. Physical or psychological damage or injury: The storm did great harm to the crops.
2. Immoral or unjust effects: They made a mistake and meant no harm."

harm

Do you mean you don't see the kind of mental impact that any of those things have on people? Not even rape?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
There is evidence that suffering can be beneficial and it is not even hidden. All you have to do is ask people who have suffered if they were benefited and they will be happy to tell you. Who would know more about these people, you or them?

Let me point this out because it is really important: the fact that something good can come out of something bad is not enough to justify the bad part, unless this good can only be gained from this bad part. And that is not even talking about matters of consent.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ok, to make this argument though, you will have to make the argument that suffering is always beneficial. So for instance, what is beneficial about a young child suffering horribly from bone cancer and then dying; what could they possibly gain from that? You argue that suffering in this life prepares us (somehow) for the afterlife: in what sense does being born only to suffer and die prepare someone?
Tell me why I have to make the argument that suffering is always beneficial. Why does suffering always have to be beneficial? I only ever sais that that suffering has the potential to be beneficial, and whether it is beneficial or not depends on many factors, not the least of which depends upon our attitude towards the suffering and how well we deal with it.
Let's talk about my suffering. I was in an accident that caused irreparable damage to my laryngeal nerve. It rendered me unable to speak, and for a while immense difficulty breathing or swallowing (at least that doesn't linger). Now, I could make some soppy story about how this has forced me to be a better listener and observer in life, and things like this. I could talk about how I'm used to it now, and find ways around it. But at the end of the day, I don't really think this suffering has "made me a better person." I'm pursuing the same dreams (in fact this threw me off quite a bit, I'm finishing my MS in my 30's because of all the depression and roadblocks and stuff). My ethical and moral decisions weren't affected by this. I'd just as soon rather had this not have happened to me. Where is the benefit?
I have serious setbacks from age 18-32 which I would rather not share on a public forum. It was not physical, it was emotional, but it prevented me from any kind of normal life all those years. The only thing I was able to do was complete the BA and MA first degree program and get a job and maintain it but I almost lost my federal job after I was sent for a psych assessment and deemed disabled. The only way I was able to hang onto my job was by going on antidepressants just to stay enough above the depression to function, but the antidepressant did not get rid of my depression and I almost died because in desperation a psychiatrist combined two different types of antidepressants that were never supposed to be combined, a MAO inhibitor and a tricyclic. This all happened in the early 1980s when I first went into recovery. I was in recovery for over 15 years. Fortunately I discovered homeopathy I 1988 and was able get off all the antidepressants and never needed them again. My endogenous depression was cured but I still had life circumstances that caused a lot of grief and anxiety and I will probably always have some residual PTSD.

In my case I saw immediate benefits as I was able to deal with my issues and recover from my childhood issues in counseling, 12 step programs and with homeopathic remedies. After about 10 years I went back to school for a second MA degree in psychology and a degree in homeopathic medicine. However, I was never able to utilize the degrees because of more life circumstances that interfered. My life has never been free of suffering for more than a few days, weeks at most. I never gave up but I finally accepted life as it is because some things cannot be change, at least not right now even though I have a will of iron.

In 1985, a couple of years into recovery I got married three weeks after I met my husband and he had just been released from a psych hospital for suicidal depression. He was on disability for eight years but I have always been employed despite my depression. We are still married but it has been a rough road. Probably the only reason we are still married is because we are both Baha’is, and have been since 1964 and 1970. But he is 10 years older than me and has medical issues so that is an ongoing source of suffering for both of us.
Regardless of the fact that you'd have to support the premise that all suffering is beneficial in order to avoid the PoE's conclusions, do you have any particular examples of suffering you can bring up that are beneficial; where an omnipotent-omniscient deity would have literally no other way to reach the beneficial outcome?

Again, I do not see why I would have to support the premise that all suffering is beneficial in order to avoid the PoE's conclusions. That is black in white all or nothing thinking and it is illogical. Given the variation on humans and the various life situations they find themselves in, suffering will not benefit everyone, and it will be beneficial in various degrees. But one thing that is universal is that the suffering we endure in this physical life will end when this life ends, if we played our cards right, but if we die angry at God we will be in a sorry plight. That is one reason I have struggled so hard to have the right attitude towards God, because till recently my attitude was that it is all God’s fault I was suffering. You see, I had done all I could do to alleviate my suffering, so what was left of my suffering had to be God’s fault, right? Some of my struggles to understand are posted in threads I posted on this forum.

Do you understand that it is a moot point if an omnipotent-omniscient deity would have had another way to reach the beneficial outcome since He didn’t USE another way? If your goal is just to prove God is malevolent have at it, but I have to warn you that is not in your best interest because I lived at that address for 10 years and I was really miserable. I guess God was waiting for me to move, and when I finally did that in 2013 my whole life started to turn around. Now I know God is good even when I feel He is bad because I understand that feelings just are but they do not represent reality. My only goal in life is to help people and that is why I went back to school for seven years when I was almost 40. Do you really think I care about “winning” arguments on a forum? I could not care less. My primary focus on forums has always been atheists so I know all the arguments but I don’t care about winning, I only care about people. I know what God is because God was revealed by Baha’u’llah, I don’t need to rely upon Bible stories.
I am not saying I know more about people than themselves. I am saying that for any such testimony (I would have to see examples first), there is probably a better way to reach the outcome than if a person has suffered to get there.
Did you ever see the biography of Joe Biden? He suffered terribly and look at where he is now. As I said above, why would it matter if there would have been a better way? There is not a better way because the world is what it is and God is not going to revamp it. I am not saying we should go out of our way looking for ways to suffer just so we can grow stronger, but if we are faced with unavoidable suffering we should try to make the best of the situation.
How do you know that God causes suffering for benevolent reasons though? How do you know it isn't simply because God doesn't care that suffering exists, or has malevolent reasons for it to exist? Is this just based on faith?
Everything that I know about God comes from the Baha’i Writings and that is how I know that God is benevolent and that God cares in spite of the fact that we suffer. I have faith but it is a reason-based faith, not blind faith, because there is so much evidence that shows Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God.
It is possible to have a physical world where physical things cannot harm you, though. That's the point. An omnipotent/omniscient being could create such a world. Pointing out that in this world that isn't the case is a moot point.
You do not know is such a world is possible, you just believe that because you believe an omnipotent-omniscient God can do anything, but that is still a moot point because there will never be that kind of world since there will never be another physical world.
Do you see how if there were no sex offenders because sex offense would be impossible in another world, that you wouldn't have to learn to avoid renting to sex offenders (because you would never have that risk to take)? This is like the example of the hot stove: you don't have to suffer to learn not to touch a hot stove if a hot stove can never harm you in the first place. So why should that kind of suffering exist?
The only way that sex offenders would not be possible is if humans had no free will to choose in which case humans would be robots.. Please don’t say God could make it possible because an omnipotent-omniscient God can do anything.
I certainly don't want you to do anything that would make you uncomfortable. Hypothetical examples and other examples are fine if giving an example of suffering that benefits.

However, I predict that for examples involving physical suffering, it will always be possible to have reached a beneficial outcome without that physical suffering having ever taken place. (Or, alternatively, that if the physical suffering leads to some beneficial outcome, that beneficial outcome would be a moot point if there was no physical suffering in the first place; like the hot stove example I keep giving).
I already gave you some examples of my own suffering and it has benefited me, but it was not physical suffering. As long as humans have physical bodies there will be physical suffering. There will be no physical suffering in the spiritual world because we will have spiritual bodies.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So you did demean by comparison peoples suffering to petty annoyances. How vile.
No, I already explained that. I was not comparing the ice cream with the serious problems in the world.
No, not omnipotence. Because people like you claim that your god is the greatest source of Good, the most Benevolent and Loving being in the whole of existence, the source of all light and salvation and blah blah blah.

He's no better than Jeff Bezos, only rather than blasting off to space in a financial [REDACTED]-measuring contest, your god only kills the people he doesn't approve of. How magnanimous.
God does not kill anyone. People die.
Thank the gods there are more people who realize the reality, and actively work to help - actually help - their fellow man.
That is what humans are supposed to do...It is NOT God;s job because God is not a human.
ADD: Since you're so keen to your little "exposé" comparing the pains and horrors of suffering to whining over [REDACTED] ice cream flavors,
No, I already explained that. I was not comparing the ice cream with the serious problems in the world.
I think you should go to a country steeped in suffering, surrounded by those overburdened with poverty, famine, and sickness, and be forced to do nothing more than tell them to cheer up and that it's not so bad. You know, like a mother would do to a child whining about bloody ice cream.

All those problems that humanity faces are human problems for which humans are responsible.
God sent Baha'u'llah who revealed what will be necessary to fix these problems and a work in progress.
God is not going to come swooping down like Superman to do the work humans are responsible for.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Tell me why I have to make the argument that suffering is always beneficial. Why does suffering always have to be beneficial? I only ever sais that that suffering has the potential to be beneficial, and whether it is beneficial or not depends on many factors, not the least of which depends upon our attitude towards the suffering and how well we deal with it.

Because if God actualizes suffering that isn't beneficial, then we're back to the problem that it isn't benevolent. This whole side chapter on whether suffering is beneficial is meant to excuse why God might cause suffering in the world, right? All it takes is one instance of suffering that isn't beneficial to make a contradiction with omnibenevolence.

I have serious setbacks from age 18-32 which I would rather not share on a public forum. It was not physical, it was emotional, but it prevented me from any kind of normal life all those years. The only thing I was able to do was complete the BA and MA first degree program and get a job and maintain it but I almost lost my federal job after I was sent for a psych assessment and deemed disabled. The only way I was able to hang onto my job was by going on antidepressants just to stay enough above the depression to function, but the antidepressant did not get rid of my depression and I almost died because in desperation a psychiatrist combined two different types of antidepressants that were never supposed to be combined, a MAO inhibitor and a tricyclic. This all happened in the early 1980s when I first went into recovery. I was in recovery for over 15 years. Fortunately I discovered homeopathy I 1988 and was able get off all the antidepressants and never needed them again. My endogenous depression was cured but I still had life circumstances that caused a lot of grief and anxiety and I will probably always have some residual PTSD.

In my case I saw immediate benefits as I was able to deal with my issues and recover from my childhood issues in counseling, 12 step programs and with homeopathic remedies. After about 10 years I went back to school for a second MA degree in psychology and a degree in homeopathic medicine. However, I was never able to utilize the degrees because of more life circumstances that interfered. My life has never been free of suffering for more than a few days, weeks at most. I never gave up but I finally accepted life as it is because some things cannot be change, at least not right now even though I have a will of iron.

In 1985, a couple of years into recovery I got married three weeks after I met my husband and he had just been released from a psych hospital for suicidal depression. He was on disability for eight years but I have always been employed despite my depression. We are still married but it has been a rough road. Probably the only reason we are still married is because we are both Baha’is, and have been since 1964 and 1970. But he is 10 years older than me and has medical issues so that is an ongoing source of suffering for both of us.

Again, I do not see why I would have to support the premise that all suffering is beneficial in order to avoid the PoE's conclusions. That is black in white all or nothing thinking and it is illogical. Given the variation on humans and the various life situations they find themselves in, suffering will not benefit everyone, and it will be beneficial in various degrees. But one thing that is universal is that the suffering we endure in this physical life will end when this life ends, if we played our cards right, but if we die angry at God we will be in a sorry plight. That is one reason I have struggled so hard to have the right attitude towards God, because till recently my attitude was that it is all God’s fault I was suffering. You see, I had done all I could do to alleviate my suffering, so what was left of my suffering had to be God’s fault, right? Some of my struggles to understand are posted in threads I posted on this forum.

Do you understand that it is a moot point if an omnipotent-omniscient deity would have had another way to reach the beneficial outcome since He didn’t USE another way? If your goal is just to prove God is malevolent have at it, but I have to warn you that is not in your best interest because I lived at that address for 10 years and I was really miserable. I guess God was waiting for me to move, and when I finally did that in 2013 my whole life started to turn around. Now I know God is good even when I feel He is bad because I understand that feelings just are but they do not represent reality. My only goal in life is to help people and that is why I went back to school for seven years when I was almost 40. Do you really think I care about “winning” arguments on a forum? I could not care less. My primary focus on forums has always been atheists so I know all the arguments but I don’t care about winning, I only care about people. I know what God is because God was revealed by Baha’u’llah, I don’t need to rely upon Bible stories.

Did you ever see the biography of Joe Biden? He suffered terribly and look at where he is now. As I said above, why would it matter if there would have been a better way? There is not a better way because the world is what it is and God is not going to revamp it. I am not saying we should go out of our way looking for ways to suffer just so we can grow stronger, but if we are faced with unavoidable suffering we should try to make the best of the situation.

Everything that I know about God comes from the Baha’i Writings and that is how I know that God is benevolent and that God cares in spite of the fact that we suffer. I have faith but it is a reason-based faith, not blind faith, because there is so much evidence that shows Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God.

First of all, I'm sorry that you went through all of that. I wish the best for you and yours, and I'm hesitant to make arguments in the light of this heartfelt story. I feel like it would be wrong of me to make points and say things about all of this that would be close to home.

I guess there is one point I feel comfortable making: Joe Biden may be successful after suffering much; but there are many people that just suffer. There are many people that are successful without suffering greatly. I don't think it's a great argument to point out singular examples where someone has suffered and succeeded because there will probably be more counter-examples.

Secondly, I'll say that I don't "hate God." I don't believe in God, I can't hate a thing that I don't believe in. I think the existence of suffering is already explained by the universe ultimately not caring whether we suffer or not; I think it's just up to us to abolish as much suffering as we can. None of this involves "hating God." The PoE and similar arguments are just academic arguments about how some conceptions of God are internally inconsistent. That's all. The PoE doesn't even apply if someone just says "ok, sometimes God makes someone suffer once in a while." Or "ok, maybe God's power or knowledge has some limits beyond just logical possibility." These things make the PoE a moot point, for instance; because the PoE wouldn't apply in those instances.

You do not know is such a world is possible, you just believe that because you believe an omnipotent-omniscient God can do anything, but that is still a moot point because there will never be that kind of world since there will never be another physical world.

I made a post where I covered how such a world is possible, and how we can know it is. Omnipotence isn't usually defined as the capacity to do anything, but rather the capacity to actualize any logically possible state of affairs. Creating a world without physical suffering is logically possible; so an omnipotent and omniscient being could do it. I cover how we can know this is possible in my Toy Worlds and the Problem of Evil thread.

The only way that sex offenders would not be possible is if humans had no free will to choose in which case humans would be robots.. Please don’t say God could make it possible because an omnipotent-omniscient God can do anything.

We don't have to be able to hurt each other to have free will. If we attempted to attack one another and an invisible wall stopped us, we'd still be free. We'd still be able to wake up in the morning, decide what we want to do today. Who we want to spend the day with. What new knowledge we want to pursue. What kind of work we'd like to do, all of this. There is nothing about free will that necessitates the ability to physically harm one another.

Consider also that we already aren't capable of doing some things. I can't walk on the underneath of clouds or teleport to Andromeda: does this make me not free? Of course I'm still free despite lacking some abilities. Lacking the ability to physically hurt each other is the same: we would still be free if we couldn't do it.

I already gave you some examples of my own suffering and it has benefited me, but it was not physical suffering. As long as humans have physical bodies there will be physical suffering. There will be no physical suffering in the spiritual world because we will have spiritual bodies.

You may not have read my other response yet, but I will be clear: I am only talking about physical suffering when I'm saying God is culpable for it. God isn't culpable for mental suffering (such as if we are a jerk to our friends, so our friends leave us) because that doesn't rely on the physics of the world that God is responsible for, that only relies on our minds.

It is false that if physical bodies exist there must exist physical suffering: an omnipotent and omniscient being could make physical bodies with physics set up in such a way that they do not suffer.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Let me point this out because it is really important: the fact that something good can come out of something bad is not enough to justify the bad part, unless this good can only be gained from this bad part. And that is not even talking about matters of consent.
How do you know that the good can be gained in some other way, without the bad part?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This isn't being suggested. We aren't advocating for being spoiled brats. Most all of us want to work and enjoy the fruits of our labor. Yet if you get cancer you can't work. You suffer terribly and hope you survive. All we are saying is that God could have created a world that has no cancers. People would still get tired and stub our toes. We would age and die of other natural causes. We would still do stupid things and die young. We would still minding our business and get hit by cars while riding a bike and be killed (except for me which has happened 4 times yet God intervened on behalf of an atheist). But we wouldn't have to worry and deal with cancers. Yet somehow your version of God allowed cancers to develop in the world it created, and you think this suggests a God is benevolent.

Could your God have created a world where there was no cancers?
Cancers do not suggest that God is either benevolent or malevolent, that is a problem in reasoning. People want to assign blame and then they label God as malevolent. Cancer simply exists. God did not intend for cancer to exist. God knew it would exist only because God is all-knowing.

Intend

1. have (a course of action) as one's purpose or objective; plan.
"the company intends to cut about 4,500 jobs"

2. design or destine (someone or something) for a particular purpose or end.
"this one-roomed cottage was intended to accommodate a family"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=intend+means

God could have created a world where the conditions under which cancers develop did not exist, but there has to be a reason why God did not do so. We cannot know the reason because we are not all-knowing. To conclude that God is malevolent because cancer exists is not logical, simply because God could have created a world such that cancer could not exist. That is as much as saying that we know more than God which is logically impossible since God is all-knowing.

But we can use our powers of reason to try to analyze and figure things out. For example, we can look back in history and see all the diseases that existed that no longer exist and see that humans are making progress in curing diseases. From that we can surmise that it is entirely possible that in the future there will be no more cancer. In fact, science could find a cure or a way to prevent cancer and all the other diseases that now exist. Just look at all the advancements that have been made in science since the mid-19th century. Baha’is believe those advances are all related to the coming of the Bab and Baha’u’llah, which set the whole process in motion.

What hath God Wrought? 24 May 1844

We live in the most remarkable of times. The transformation of the material conditions of humanity has a cause. Do we really believe that the human beings who came before us were incapable of what we see in the world today? Great civilizations have come before in history – yet none of them broke out of the same reality that has existed since the dawn of agriculture.

It is only in this time that humanity has passed into an entirely new reality. It has a cause. A cause larger than humanity itself.

In 1844, in Shiraz, the Bab, Baha’u’llah’s immediate forerunner, spoke these words:

The secret of the Day that is to come is now concealed. It can neither be divulged nor estimated. The newly born babe of that Day excels the wisest and most venerable men of this time, and the lowliest and most unlearned of that period shall surpass in understanding the most erudite and accomplished divines of this age.[1]

A short time before, on the other side of the planet on 24 May 1844, within a day of the Bab’s declaration of his mission, Samuel Morse, the inventor of the telegraph sent its first message from Washington to Baltimore. The message read as follows: What hath God Wrought? , citing a passage from the Bible.

F1fan

Veteran Member
No, this is not what I mean. As a designer, he has to handle things when they go wrong.
Isn't God perfect? If so how can what a perfect God creates have flaws?

Isn't the God omniscient? If so then it knows these so called things hat "go wrong" before it even creates, so it could adjust from the beginning. Or is your God unaware of the future?

This world is because things went wrong.
Then the Creator is not perfect or incompetent. A competent God gets things right.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes, I think there is a good reason for it, and the reason is:
Humans wanted to know evil. That is the reason why they were expelled to this “Matrix”. Here many bad things can happen, but it is a problem, because nothing of this world can destroy soul, which is the important thing. Body is only like a temporary dwelling for soul, not meant to last forever.
Yeah, the A&E myth just doesn't work. The humans wanted to know evil? Yet they lacked the very knowledge that makes a person make a responsible decision and choice, so they were created deficient. And God deliberately tempted them. It was a set up. If God wanted obedient people it would have created them with adequate capacity to resist temptation. So that's all on God.

And I think that we have this freedom and chance actually proves that God is good and benevolent. Evil and not benevolent would not have given freedom to us.
Yet many do not have the freedom from a genetic disposition of fatal diseases, and that is because our Creation includes cancers and other defects of genes.

Go ahead and blame A&E for the Fall, but re-read how they were set up by God first.

So a benevolent God? Unlikely.

But, maybe the problem of evil is really that it is subjective. Evil person think good is evil and evil is good. Therefore, it is quite meaningless word.
It tends to have a great amount off meaning when evil affects us personally.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What is unbelievable are atheists who believe that they know more than an all-knowing God about how the world should have been created. There is nothing more illogical than this, nothing.

God created humans so God knew what was best for humans. What you "like" or "do not like" has nothing to do with it because you are not all-knowing or all-wise. This is logic 101 stuff.
None of this defends your statement that you think it is kind to create a world where cancers eventually develop among humans and other animals.

Explain what is kind about creating a world where cancers come about.

And do you think the Creator could have made a world where cancers did not develop?

And please answer the question, don't deflect.

Last edited:

MonkeyFire

Sympathy and suffering betrayed God. If hell were good I would save it from its own nature, if it were bad I don’t feel bad for it, but I don’t feel bad for it. The greatest thing I believe is how passive Jesus would wreck the violent anti-Christ with non-violence (anti-violence). Pacifism allows one to be happy, pacifism is the only way you are allowed to be happy, pacifism is the nature of happiness (pacifism is happiness because transgression is hate/anger).

F1fan

Veteran Member
I did not say that God is responsible for the suffering.

I agree with these premises:
  • God is omnipotent
  • God is omniscient
  • God is perfectly benevolent
  • Evil exists in the universe (or, when the problem is phrased another way, suffering exists in the universe)
But I do not agree with these premises:
  • God is the ultimate source of everything in the universe
  • Evil is incompatible with benevolence (or, when the problem is phrased another way, causing suffering is incompatible with benevolence)
God is the original source but not the cause of everything in the universe so God is not the ultimate source.
That certainly allows you a loophole to excuse God for the bad stuff that happens.

So if God is omniscient and the original creator then it must be aware of the other sources of creation in the universe, and certainly created those as well, yes?

So given the definitions of omniscient and omnipotent you still create a scenario where God is still accountable for all that happens. And benevolent just doesn't fit. I'm not sure what "perfectly benevolent" is supposed to mean, but it's even less relevant.

Aside from that, what do you mean by evil? Are you referring to the evil caused by humans or what some call natural evil? Either way, I do not believe that suffering is incompatible with benevolence because suffering has a purpose. Suffering is neither benevolent or malevolent, it just is.
You can't escape the succession of causes ending up at God's doorstep. You want to ignore this succession of causes but everyone else knows it all goes back to what your God decided as it created the world.

I agree with 1213 who said in #104 that the problem of evil is really that it is subjective. Evil person think good is evil and evil is good. Therefore, it is quite meaningless word.
The more fuzzy the definitions the easier it gets for theists. Theists want ambiguity, confusion, uncertainty, etc. so their claims can exist in a fog. This is a trick that doesn't work against thinkers.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Cancers do not suggest that God is either benevolent or malevolent, that is a problem in reasoning. People want to assign blame and then they label God as malevolent. Cancer simply exists. God did not intend for cancer to exist. God knew it would exist only because God is all-knowing.

Intend

1. have (a course of action) as one's purpose or objective; plan.
"the company intends to cut about 4,500 jobs"

2. design or destine (someone or something) for a particular purpose or end.
"this one-roomed cottage was intended to accommodate a family"
Since your God is perfect and does not make mistakes it must have intended for cancers to develop through time in order for the creation to be exactly what it wants.

If the world is NOT what God wants, why did it fail to create what it wanted as a perfect being?

God could have created a world where the conditions under which cancers develop did not exist, but there has to be a reason why God did not do so. We cannot know the reason because we are not all-knowing. To conclude that God is malevolent because cancer exists is not logical, simply because God could have created a world such that cancer could not exist. That is as much as saying that we know more than God which is logically impossible since God is all-knowing.
So since you admit that God could have created a world without cancers developing, yet it didn't, And since you admit we cannot know the reason God did this, then that means we can't know that God is benevolent. You might want God to be benevolent, and you might want to believe the texts you read, but the facts offset all this. And given you aren't certain of the reasons God created a world where exceptionally painful and deadly cancers develop, you cannot dismiss the possibility it is due to cruelty.

You will certainly WANT to dismiss it, but we are being logical here, not listening to your emotions and what you want God to be.

But we can use our powers of reason to try to analyze and figure things out. For example, we can look back in history and see all the diseases that existed that no longer exist and see that humans are making progress in curing diseases. From that we can surmise that it is entirely possible that in the future there will be no more cancer. In fact, science could find a cure or a way to prevent cancer and all the other diseases that now exist. Just look at all the advancements that have been made in science since the mid-19th century. Baha’is believe those advances are all related to the coming of the Bab and Baha’u’llah, which set the whole process in motion.
Who cares that cancers might be cured? The question is why they exist at all in a world that a supposedly benevolent god made. The advances in science were a response to the exceptionally harsh and deadly nature that humans exist in. And this nature is what God created. If there is some reason for all the suffering, death, disabilities, then the world seems more designed by Rube Goldberg than a perfect God.

We live in the most remarkable of times. The transformation of the material conditions of humanity has a cause. Do we really believe that the human beings who came before us were incapable of what we see in the world today? Great civilizations have come before in history – yet none of them broke out of the same reality that has existed since the dawn of agriculture.

It is only in this time that humanity has passed into an entirely new reality. It has a cause. A cause larger than humanity itself.

In 1844, in Shiraz, the Bab, Baha’u’llah’s immediate forerunner, spoke these words:

The secret of the Day that is to come is now concealed. It can neither be divulged nor estimated. The newly born babe of that Day excels the wisest and most venerable men of this time, and the lowliest and most unlearned of that period shall surpass in understanding the most erudite and accomplished divines of this age.[1]

A short time before, on the other side of the planet on 24 May 1844, within a day of the Bab’s declaration of his mission, Samuel Morse, the inventor of the telegraph sent its first message from Washington to Baltimore. The message read as follows: What hath God Wrought? , citing a passage from the Bible.

None of this is relevant to the discussion.

night912

God did create a world where suffering didn’t exist, but ownership of the world left His hands when Adam and Eve sinned. It was us who brought suffering, and it is our responsibility to bring an end to the collective suffering.
2 cents
Where did Adam and Eve brought suffering from? The world in which God created.

What caused Eve to eat the fruit? The existence of the truth that was told to ger by the serpent. What caused the existence of the nature of the serpent? The existence of the serpent. What caused the existence of the serpent?

Should we continue to go into an infinite regress or to the first "cause?"

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
None of this defends your statement that you think it is kind to create a world where cancers eventually develop among humans and other animals.

Explain what is kind about creating a world where cancers come about.

And do you think the Creator could have made a world where cancers did not develop?

And please answer the question, don't deflect.
I never claimed that it was kind. It is neither cruel nor kind, Imo.

God could have made a world where cancers do not develop.