• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues

joeboonda

Whoah, since I started typing, 4 pages have been written, I will never catch up, I will never catch up.....lol......I gotta go read....ugh.....lol.........loves ya!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
Make no mistake... I don't handle poisonous snakes as a religious act. I have collected them in the past for research. I felt that Jesus gave that directive to the Apostles: not to me. Consequently, I don't imbibe poisons of any sort nor do I try and heal people.

I Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. NIV

I know you don't handle snakes, NetDoc.:D

I feel that when we accept Christ, we are in essence, walking Apostles. We are the Body of Christ.

I don't think that the miracles Christ performed while on earth are no longer applicable now. Christ hasn't changed. He's the same today...within his believers as He was when He walked the earth.

There's no doubt in my mind...when people are healed in faith...they are healed by Christ Jesus living within the believer.

When Christ said this...

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also: and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. " John 14:12 NKJV

..I don't believe that this was intended ONLY for the Apostles present when it was said. I believe this was intended for ALL of His believers. Christ hasn't changed.

"A little while longer and the world will see Me no more but you will see Me because I live, you will live also. At that day you will know that I am in My Father and you in Me and I in you." John 14:19-20 NKJV

I'm not capable of healing others and speaking miracles but HE who is WITHIN ME certainly is.

FFH

Veteran Member
Kai said:
could someone spell this out for me
to speak in tongues is not gibberish but a real language?
Yes, a heavenly language, or possibly an Adamic language (language Adam used to speak with God).

has this ever been verified
Things of the spirit, or of God, cannot be verified, for the most part, but are matters of faith.

what purpose does it serve
Speaking in tongues has a definite purpose.

For me, it helps to verify if a particular person, or message, is from God. It's like an exclamation point, which says, "take notice of what this person is about to say, because it's from God".

It helps us to know if a particular message is from God or not.

It would be impossible for an evil man to speak in tongues.

Matthew 7: 16, 20

16- Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17- Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18- A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19- Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20- Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Book of Mormon
3 Nephi 14: 16, 20

16- Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17- Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18- A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19- Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20- Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them.

joeboonda

Being able to suddenly speak a language without the necessary study (this ability usually only lasts a short time). This is similar to the manifestation of the gift on the Day of Pentecost - only the Apostles were able to suddenly speak multiple languages at the same time. That doesn't happen very often.

Got some reading done, not all. Okay, they heard them all speaking in their own languages, correct. THEN, Peter got up and preached Christ crucified buried and risen again, NOW, did he take turns and speak the sermon in EACH AND EVERY language represented there? Of course not, he probably spoke in Koine Greek, that all who came to market in Jerusalem would commonly know. So, the tongues was for a SIGN, that WHAT Peter preached--Christ risen, was true, and 3,000 were saved, THAT was what was important. So one does not need the gift of tongues in the sense it happenned there to preach to people who speak other languages you do not know. It was a sign. That's all I wanted to say on that, small point.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
There is also prophecy and tongues...which is explained in 1 Cor. 14.

Tongues can be spoken for personal edification and also edification for the church.

joeboonda

Cool thing about a 'pentecostal/charismatic service, is that for maybe a half hour or so, everyone sings praise and worship, it can be exciting, and can be reverent, what is neat is that everyone just lifts up their hands or claps and sings, but they BEGIN PRAISING AND WORSHIPPING JESUS WITH THEIR MOUTHS, they just start saying, praying, shouting, we praise you Jesus, we love you, we adore you, thank-you Jesus, halleluia, etc. just praising vocally. It is so moving, it is hard to describe. And people are praising and worshipping in 'tongues', and just loving Jesus, pouring out praise to Him for what He has done for us. It is an emotional experience and there is power in some worship services, no doubt. But it isn't exactly decently and in order, but it isn't exactly not, except when people begin doing some of the strange things people have done to get a higher experience. The pastor of a church I went to for a bit said the 'Shekhina (sp) Glory of the Lord falls upon the service, like we 'bring' God's power down from Heaven. I always thot that was a bit much, Jesus said where 2 or 3 are gathered in His name He is there. The Holy Spirit and presence of God, Jesus, is always with us and when we worship coorporately, whether in a 'charismatic' setting or an orthodox or baptist or methodist or any other, the Spirit of the Lord is there, although in some churches, its not. I've heard of people who attended church all their lives and were never told they needed to believe in Christ and be born again! Ah, well, for me, anytime I am in church I always want to cry. I feel the great mercy and grace and forgiveness and patience of God toward me, and I just want to cry and cry of happiness. It happens in any church of believers, it almost makes me afraid to go, cause I hate to cry in front of people, so I try real hard not to, then I cry all the way home, lol. Its not from sadness, its just from the joy of the Lord, from his mercy to this poor, miserable, sorry, wretched sinner, that He renews every morning. I don't care if people speak in tongues, I don't even think God cares, He just cares that we know He loves us unconditionally. I'll try to get back on topic....:)

FFH

Veteran Member
Mark 16: 17,18

17- And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18- They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

This scripture in the Book of Mormon is identical.

Mormon 9: 24

And these signs shall follow them that believe---in my name shall they cast out devils, they shall speak with new tongues, they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them, they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.

Speaking in tongues is doctrinally part of the LDS faith, but it has been supressed.

2 Nephi 31: 13,14

13- Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptisim of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.

14- But, behold, my beloved brethren, thus came the voice of the Son unto me, saying: After ye have repented of your sins, and witnessed unto the Father that ye are willing to keep my commandments, by the baptism of water, and have received the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost, and can speak with a new tongue, yea, even with the tongue of angels, and after this should deny me, it would have been better for you that ye had not known me.

Here's a link which shows evidence of the early members of the LDS church speaking in tongues, including Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.

joeboonda

Someone asked about healing. I believe in healing. I don't believe in faith-healers like Benny Hinn. I won't go into great detail, now. There are two types of healing that people claim, I forget the exact names, so I will say one is organic, like the blind see, a severed or withered limb is made whole, something everyone can see, physically. The other is like symptomatic, like, oh, I had this digestive problem, or pain in my back or head, or some such thing, and the Lord healed it. Well, in the Bible, the healings were always organic, happenned instantly, happenned every time, and even happenned when the person healed least expected it, like in Acts 3 when Peter told the lame man to get up and walk, and pulled him up and bam he was healed and started jumping up and down and everyone saw it and glorified God. With faith healers, and there have been many studies done, NOBODY was ever healed. Benny Hinn had his 3 best, and they were not even close to healing as described in the Bible. So, its something to research, the info is out there and it comes in against the faith-healers. But, I believe God can heal people today just not by those guys.

Healing had a purpose in the Bible. Let me say, Jesus did not heal everybody, but everybody he set out to heal, he healed. What I am saying, is that once the disciples came to Jesus and said the multitudes were waiting for Him, (to be healed, etc.), but Jesus said He had to go elsewhere and preach. The healings were for a SIGN to people so when Jesus told them something, they would know it was true, same with the apostles. That was the primary reason for healings, miracles for a sign. Like when Jesus healed the man and told him his sins were forgiven and the religious leaders got mad and said Jesus blasphemed making himself God because only God can forgive sin. Jesus said believe His words, if not for the very words, for the works, the miracles that accompanied them.

2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
(King James Bible, Hebrews)

Tongues and healings were what I call the confirming gifts...confirming what Jesus and the Apostles said was true...we now have the Bible...which Peter said is not cunningly devised fables, but we were eyewitnesses...and Paul said these things were not done in a corner...we now have the recorded factual history, God's complete revelation to us, the Bible.

FFH

Veteran Member
dawny0826 said:
There is also prophecy and tongues...which is explained in 1 Cor. 14.
Right, and usually a prophesy, or great teaching, from God, follows a person who has just briefly spoken in tongues.

I just finished listening to Juanita Bynam, who preached for about an hour, and every time, just before she seemed to say something significant, she briefly spoke in tongues. It sort of gets one to take notice of what she is about to say.

I have felt great peace one time after she spoke in tongues at great length. She was then silent for about 15 minutes and said nothing and the Holy Ghost seemed to descend straight into my room without her saying anything. It brought great peace and comfort to me and left a lasting impression on me.

Dawny said:
Tongues can be spoken for personal edification and also edification for the church.
Yes and I've felt that peace and comfort from others speaking in tongues, which is the Holy Ghost.

joeboonda

Has anyone heard of religious existentialism? It has to do with, well, I experienced it so it must be real and so must be true. But do we trust in our emotions, which Satan loves to manipulate, or our heart which the Bible said is deceptive? Or trust the Word? What I mean is, I have had religious 'experiences' and certain emotions, and seen others have them too, and thought perhaps they were this or that, but when I examined them in light of the scriptures, I found they were not quite what they seemed. Whether one believes in the tongues-faith-healers movement of the day, or not, do what I have done and still do, go buy and study books, tapes, videos, etc, anything you can find from BOTH sides, and see which one fits with what the Bible actually says. I really wanted to believe speaking in tongues is of God for today, but, try as I might to fit it with scripture, and I know a lot of people do seem to make it fit, but I absolutely could not, as much as I wished I could. As wonderful as it can seem, I believe there can be danger there, too. Just, I think we all have a tendency to only prove our side, and you can all say right back at you, lol, but, I think it is HIGHLY important that we look at everything in light of scripture, what it really says, and read what good, scholarly Christians have written and documented concerning these things. Biblical tongues did die out around the 1st or 2nd century possibly even 70 A.D...except in a few groups which popped up now and then whose essential doctrines were considered heretical. But tongues is not an essential doctrine, it is a non-essential and nothing we should break fellowship or be angry at each other for either way, maybe in Heaven God will let you walk up to me and tell me, ha! told you you were wrong about that, or vice-versa, lol. Love and Peace!

FFH

Veteran Member
Joe Boonda, speaking in tongues is evidence that the Holy Ghost has descended upon a person. Prophecies, healings, revelations and great teachings can follow those who speak in tongues.

FFH

Veteran Member
Other evidences of the Holy Ghost descending upon a person are; "chills," "burning in the heart", "peace of mind" and in many cases, tears.

joeboonda

FFH said:
Joe Boonda, speaking in tongues is evidence that the Holy Ghost has descended upon a person. Prophecies, healings, revelations and great teachings can follow those who speak in tongues.

So, all the great soul-winners who NEVER spoke in tongues were not filled or empowered with the Holy Spirit? Not Moody, Torrey, Finney, Billy Sunday, Sam Jones, Charles Spurgeon, Billy Graham and countless others numbers of great soul winners who won multitudes to the Lord? The evidence that someone is filled with the Holy Spirit is that they will preach Jesus and people will get saved, that is what the Bible says. Peter was filled with the Spirit on pentecost in Acts 2, and 3,000 were saved that day. In Acts 4 they were filled with the spirit and gave witness to the ressurrection of Jesus. People need not be so concerned with getting Baptists or Methodists or Lutherans or Presbyterians to talk in tongues and more concerned with getting people saved from Hell, IMO.

24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
24:48 And ye are witnesses of these things.
24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
(King James Bible, Luke)

1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
(King James Bible, Acts)

Here are just a couple clear statements of what the evidence of the Power of the Holy Spirit really is, people filled with the Holy Spirit will tell others the gospel and people will get saved. That is the most important thing.

joeboonda

FFH said:
Other evidences of the Holy Ghost descending upon a person are; "chills," "burning in the heart", "peace of mind" and in many cases, tears.

A good pop music song can do that, or a good movie.

FFH

Veteran Member
One time while sitting in an LDS service I heard a large number of unseen voices singing in perfect harmony along with the LDS hymn we were singing, which was "Love at Home". It was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. It only lasted about 10 seconds.

After the service, I asked my wife if she heard the singing to. She said yes.

It was probably the closest I've ever come to speaking in another tongue because of the sound I heard, which made me want to hear more. Just ten seconds was enough to leave a lasting impression on me of the great things heaven has in store for us.

My spiritual ears seemed to be opened and I could hear sounds, and different notes, I could not normally hear with my human ear.

I think hearing and speaking in tongues works the same way. It must be heard, and understood with your spiritual senses, and then it is spoken with your physical mouth, but using your spiritual mind. Your mind is temporarily transformed in order for your mouth to utter the heavenly words.

FFH

Veteran Member
joeboonda said:
A good pop music song can do that, or a good movie.
I knew you were going to say that, and there are some good songs and good movies that can bring on this same affect.

God can use musicians, actors, sermons, hymns, etc. to bring about conditions necessary for the Holy Ghost to descend upon a person.

alexander garcia

Hi, here is my two cents. Yes I believe that the Almighty is the same today as yesterday. But I must put in that i don't believe in babbling. Scripture has people speaking languages that they don't know.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
FFH said:
God can use musicians, actors, sermons, hymns, etc. to bring about conditions necessary for the Holy Ghost to descend upon a person.
What was the purpose of the gifts of the Holy Spirit such as were displayed in the New Testament in your opinion? Did they have a particular purpose or goal in mind?

MY contention is that the purpose of the spiritual and miraculous gifts talked about in the New Testament were to confirm that the apostles were from God, and to be able to speak the oracles of God without the written word which would come later when a canon was developed by the catholic church. The purpose of speaking in tongues was to preach the word to those who spoke different languages, so that they could be converted. You ahve to remember, that the apostles and disciples were commanded tog o throughout the world and teach the gospel to every creature, not just to those who could speak Arabic or Greek. That is why on the day of Pentecost, when the holy spirit fell upon the apostles and disciples and they began to speak, they spoke in languages which others could understand, not just some jibberish. You see, everything that God does has not only a person that he is doing it to, but a purpose for those who are there. There is nothing to be gained from seeing someone flop around ont he ground like a fish out of water while talking jibberish. There is something to be gained though, in giving man a spiritual gift that allows him to preach the word to someone in their own language and therefore have the ability to be converted, especially when the ible did not exist and there was no way for someone to find out for themselves what the good news was.

joeboonda

FFH said:
I knew you were going to say that, and there are some good songs and good movies that can bring on this same affect.

I know, I was just joking around a bit. I know when I am filled with the Spirit, or when He is 'speaking' to me. I don't put much stock in feelings or emotions and such, it is more like a still small voice, go witness to that person, or quit eating so much red meat, lol.