• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues

kai

ragamuffin
could someone spell this out for me
to speak in tongues is not gibberish but a real language?
what purpose does it serve
has this ever been verified

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Arrow said:
Do people still speak in tongues?
They are destined to pass...

I Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
NIV

Indeed, the greatest of all things is LOVE. As for miracles? There is none greater than a changed heart. Jesus said so!

Scuba Pete

kai said:
Let's look at the day of Pentecost:

Acts 2:5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? NIV

I would suggest that speaking in tongues was never meant to be an emblem of Christianity. Love should be our only mark. It was used to communicate the gospel to those who spoke other languages than our own. I would imagine that the reason for this miracle to happen has not changed. However, I have YET to hear Glossalalia that did not seem to be contrived.

may

A special ability given through the holy spirit to some disciples in the early Christian congregation that enabled them to preach or otherwise glorify God in a language other than their own.
Is the ‘speaking in tongues’ that is done today the same as that done by first-century Christians?

In the first century, the miraculous gifts of the spirit, including the ability to "speak in tongues," verified that God’s favor had shifted from the Jewish system of worship to the newly established Christian congregation. (Heb. 2:2-4) Since that objective was accomplished in the first century, is it necessary to prove the same thing again and again in our day?​

In the first century, the ability to "speak in tongues" gave impetus to the international work of witnessing that Jesus had commissioned his followers to do. (Acts 1:8; 2:1-11; Matt. 28:19) Is that how those who "speak in tongues" use that ability today?
In the first century, when Christians ‘spoke in tongues,’ what they said had meaning to people who knew those languages. (Acts 2:4, 8) Today, is it not true that ‘speaking in tongues’ usually involves an ecstatic outburst of unintelligible sounds?
In the first century, the Bible shows, congregations were to limit the ‘speaking in tongues’ to two or three persons who might do that at any given meeting; they were to do it "each in turn," and if there was no interpreter present they were to keep silent. (1 Cor. 14:27, 28, RS) Is that what is being done today?

Mystic-als

NetDoc said:
I Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. NIV
I assume you were joking. Or rather I hope you were. anyone can pull a random scripture to "prove" their opinion.
I like a girl a while ago named Joy. So to see if God wanted us to go out (date) I read the bible. And in the scripture read. "and you shall go out with joy and the trees of the field shall clap their hands." You see? It was our destiny to be together.

As to the OP. It would really be nice if all the christians here at RF would come to South Africa and experience the church services here. Because then to answer a question like this wouldn't be a thinking thing it would be an experience thing.
To answer the questions. YES and YES. I have seen the miracle of speaking in tongues. When I was in Zambia. We were on an "outreach" going house to house talking about Jesus to the local people. While my friend was talking to one of the locals in their language I was just looking thinking about what we would do next. They said a prayer and we left.
I asked her how she knew how to speak the language. She said she didn't know what she was saying she was just speaking in tongues. Now if it wasn't for the fact that I knew her since childhood I would have told her she was lying.
You can choose to believe this or not. On the miracles side of things I used to work for an Organisation called Jesus Alive Ministries. They do "crusades" throughout Africa. And after seeing the miracles happen day after day it almost becomes mundane.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
What makes anyone think that Biblical speaking in tongues and glossolalia are the same things? I certainly see no evidence of such in Scripture and would appreciate it if someone could provide me with whatever they see as evidence that speaking in tongues was, or even included, the sort of apparent gibberish found in those who practice glossolalia.

Speaking in tongues, as I see it, in the Bible refers to people speaking in a language they have not learnt or speaking in their own language but being understood by others who do not speak it. This, though rare, still happens from time to time but I see no relationship between that and glossolalia. What I do see as being strikingly similar to glossolalia is the ecstatic speech found in certain shamanic and other pagan religions. That's clearly not speaking in tongues in a Christian sense, though.

I'm afraid that I see nothing miraculous or Godly in glossolalia. I do see the miraculous in a French speaker havinga conversation with a Russian monastic and hearing French whilst a Russian speaker with them hears Russian, but that is absolutely nothing like glossolalia (and clearly serves a purpose which glossolalia fails to).

James

Scuba Pete

JamesThePersian said:
would appreciate it if someone could provide me with whatever they see as evidence that speaking in tongues was, or even included, the sort of apparent gibberish found in those who practice glossolalia.
Oo! Ooo! I can answer this one! :D

Acts 2:12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?" 13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine. NIV

So from the FIRST recorded instance, we can see that many people thought that those speaking in tongues (glossolalia) were merely speaking gibberish.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gnostic said:
What does it mean to "speak in tongues"?

Do you mean speaking coherently/fluently in different languages? This is what I thought it meant, when I first read about it.

Or does it mean someone speaking prophecy in an inhuman voice?
http://www.tbm.org/tongues.htm
Speaking in tongues:
Many people inaccurately define speaking in tongues as "speaking gibberish" or "talking nonsense." The truth is, speaking in tongues is the most intelligent, perfect language in the universe. It is God's language.
What language do you suppose people speak in heaven? Languages are given their name based on the countries they come from. For example, English comes from England. Spanish comes from Spain. Italian comes from Italy.
Well, where does tongues come from? It comes from Heaven! Tongues is the heavenly language. It is what is spoken in heaven; the only difference is that the people in heaven understand what they are saying. Here on earth Paul says, "For anyone who speaks in tongues does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understand him; he utters mysteries with his spirit" (v. 2).
Jesus says that those who believe in Him will "speak in new tongues" (Mark 16:17). The word "new" means appearing for the first time. No one had spoken these languages before. Contrary to bad theology tongues is not an ability given to preach the gospel in the language of foreigners. This would make tongues "old" languages. It is only appropriate that "new tongues" should be spoken by those of the "new birth." It is natural and normal to speak in the language of your birth. We are born again from above, therefore we should speak the language from above--that language is called "new tongues."

I technically 'speak in tongues' though I know, in my case, it is gibberish.

My family, who know me and my interest in computers well often say I am 'defragmenting my brain'

SoyLeche

meh...
dan said:
Speaking in tongues is twofold.

One purpose is to preach the gospel in another language so others may be converted. I became fluent in Spanish in only five months on my mission to Uruguay. I consider that to be the gift of tongues. There were times when I testified using language and words that I had never learned.

The other purpose is to glorify God, but a translator is required for it to be valid, according to Paul. I have seen men shout "Hibbity dibbity, hibbity dobbity, hibbity dibbity, hibbity dibbity" into a microphone for upwards of an hour, but that is not tongues. I have never seen one of the performances accompanied by a translator.

I have seen miracles before. I would like to think that I had something to do with a few as well, but I hesitate to claim this, even though others say I did. I have a locket that says "Paise the Lord" in Portuguese from a woman who claims my priesthood blessing cured her of cancer. Her cancer did up and vanish, but any number of things could have caused it, according to her doctors.
I've had it explained to me in a similar way. There are a couple of different manifestations of the Gift of Tongues seen quite often in LDS missionaries:

An innate ability to learn languages easily
Divine help in learning a language well enough to teach the Gospel
Being able to suddenly speak a language without the necessary study (this ability usually only lasts a short time). This is similar to the manifestation of the gift on the Day of Pentecost - only the Apostles were able to suddenly speak multiple languages at the same time. That doesn't happen very often.

These are not what most people think of when talking about Tongues, however. It is possible to speak prophecy in an unknown tongue, but that is fairly useless in my opinion without someone present with the corresponding gift of interpretation of tongues. This was seen fairly often in the early years of the LDS church, but is uncommon now.

Scuba Pete

michel said:
http://www.tbm.org/tongues.htmJesus says that those who believe in Him will "speak in new tongues" (Mark 16:17). The word "new" means appearing for the first time. No one had spoken these languages before.
Possibly Michel, these tongues would only need to be "new" to the speaker not to all mankind and to heaven. This a clear distinction between speaking in a learned language and one in which the understanding is provided by God alone. Again, the first example in the second book of Acts tends to disagree with your assessment that they were not used to preach the word. God is a God of order, and not of disorder. It appears that there were abuses of glossolalia even in the first century church to the point that many Christians were clearly distraught over the fakery.

I Corinthians 14:39 Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way. NIV

Scuba Pete

For me the bigest issue is that many people who call themselves "Christian" are not content with merely being Godly. Instead, they want some sort of badge of honor to PROVE their undying devotion. Many who practice stigmata, speaking in tongues, faith healing and the such, are clearly trying to replace love with external signs. Why? Because changing our character is hard and it takes a LONG time and sometimes the results aren't as obvious as we would like. It reminds me of the prayer: "Lord, I want patience and I want it RIGHT NOW!"

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
kai said:

Not necessarily.

I've already posted this before but the bible mentions speaking in tongues in two separate aspects...for personal edification and for edification of the church.

When one speaks in tongues for SELF edification...it's not about WHAT is being said, so yes, it very well may sound like complete gibberish to anyone else...but it's not FOR anyone else. It's between the individual and God. It's an exercise of faith...yielding the tongue to the Holy Spirit.

If one is speaking tongues for the CHURCH for the sake of prophesy...then WHAT is being said is an issue and a translator MUST be present. It still may sound like gibberish to the non-believer but it's a spiritual matter...not a matter to be disected and broke down logically...

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
For me the bigest issue is that many people who call themselves "Christian" are not content with merely being Godly. Instead, they want some sort of badge of honor to PROVE their undying devotion. Many who practice stigmata, speaking in tongues, faith healing and the such, are clearly trying to replace love with external signs. Why? Because changing our character is hard and it takes a LONG time and sometimes the results aren't as obvious as we would like. It reminds me of the prayer: "Lord, I want patience and I want it RIGHT NOW!"

I speak in tongues as an exercise of faith...for SELF edification. I do this normally when I'm praying and worshipping on my own...in my own home. As the Bible stated...I do so for my own spiritual edification.

When I lay hands on people or speak in tongues, I'm not discounting Christ's love...I'm doing what Christ said I WOULD do as a believer.

This is what Christ said about faith healing and speaking in tongues, when He instructed us to carry out the Great Commission.

"And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe; In my name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover." Mark 16:15-18

Edit: And for the record, I am a Christian.

Scuba Pete

So Dawny...

have you handled any poinsonous serpents???

This is not intended to encourage the handling of poisonous reptiles of any sort.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
So Dawny...

have you handled any poinsonous serpents???

This is not intended to encourage the handling of poisonous reptiles of any sort.
Hardy Har Har.:D

I'm not part of that Pentecostal church.

Although, in faith...I do believe that ANYTHING is possible if Christ wills it to be so. And I don't think that those who DO choose to practice such things as snake handling are completely off their rockers...it's an exercise of faith and it's for personal edification.

I'm a Pentecostal Christian who doesn't believe that one HAS to speak in tongues or HAS to lay hands on the sick. I believe as you do...that greater than all is LOVE as Christ Himself IS LOVE.

When Christ said that we would not only do His works, but GREATER works, I believe that. When I speak in tongues, I do so because I feel closer to God and feel spiritually stronger afterwards. That is why I accept it.

As for faith healing...have you ever witnessed the miracle of someone being healed from an ailment by the laying on of hands? I have actually seen people come to Christ and give their heart to the Lord because of it. I've never witnessed such a thing occur when LOVE WASN'T the motivating factor.

I don't consider you or anyone who doesn't accept the validity of faith healing and speaking in tongues to be any more or less of a Christian than myself.

And I'd never argue that Christ's greatest message was that of love.

Edit: Made a few changes. :D

Scuba Pete

Dawny,

you are a true sister in Christ. Regardless of whether we agree on everything. However, given sufficient time, I am sure you will see things my way. :D Bwahahahaha!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Dawny,

you are a true sister in Christ. Regardless of whether we agree on everything.

Thanks. I was rather fond of being part of the sister/brother hood. :D Glad I'm not being given the boot. :)

However, given sufficient time, I am sure you will see things my way. :D Bwahahahaha!

LOL! Really?

Okay...just remember Dawn is no fan of reptiles. Snakes = Yuk:yes:

Scuba Pete

Make no mistake... I don't handle poisonous snakes as a religious act. I have collected them in the past for research. I felt that Jesus gave that directive to the Apostles: not to me. Consequently, I don't imbibe poisons of any sort nor do I try and heal people.

I Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. NIV

joeboonda

Sunstone said:
How would someone know that an episode of speaking in tongues was not caused by, say, schizophrenia or some other disorder? I'm not ruling out that some episodes of it might transcend pathologies, but how would one distinguish between those that do and those that don't?
While many who believe in tongues today believe in something like 'heavenly or angelic tongues', a languuage 'not of this earth', that no man understands, the tongues in the Bible were known languages of the day, see Acts 2, and were always for a sign to the Jews. Many hours of tapes of tongues today have been analyzed for any language patterns and the conclusions have always been that it is just gibberish. It can be a learned behavior, and if one lets themselves go, one can get quite good at it, but it is not a language, it is just ecstatic uttering. (IMO, and no offense to anyone, please) I have seen it many times myself, and it does occur in non-Christian religions, tribal, I believe some Budhists, I think in the LDS, and even in occult religions as well, and perhaps can even be attributed to deceptions of demons...? I do believe the tongues in the Bible were real, happenned supernaturally, were real known languages, and were for a sign so people knew a new thing was taking place. In Acts, at Pentecost it was the ushering in of the Church, endewed with the power of the Holy Spirit, and people heard the disciples proclaiming the gospel each in their own language, then Peter told the gospel and 3,000 people got saved that day. The 2nd time, with the house of Cornelius, it happenned as a sign to the Jews that salvation had come to the Gentiles, and a 3rd, again as a sign to the Jews that salvation came to a little group that only had heard the preaching of John that the Kingdom of Heaven was at hand, they had not heard that Christ had died and risen from the dead or of the Holy Spirit having come into the world. Those are the 3 instances recorded in Acts of tongues, all as a sign, I look at it like the Holy Spirit descended at Pentecost to earth (Jewish believers, the disciples), then went 'horizontally' so to speak to the gentiles, and believers in John's message, the gospel having been preached with signs, miracles, and wonders following, ushering in the Church Age. Now all who have believed, the moment they believe receive the Holy Spirit as it says:

4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, (a spiritual baptism) 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
(King James Bible, Ephesians)

12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
(King James Bible, 1 Corinthians)

3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
(King James Bible, Galatians)

6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
(King James Bible, Romans)

2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
(King James Bible, Colossians)

5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
(King James Bible, Ephesians)

What I am saying here is that we are ALL baptised into the body of Christ by one Spirit, which happens when we first believe. So I would say, one baptism, many fillings. For all Christians are indwelt and sealed by the Spirit, but we are not all always FILLED with the Spirit, we quench the Spirit, and we grieve the Spirit, we push Him into a corner as our flesh and the world gets in the way as it tries to and does daily. There is a doctrine in the Pentecostal Holiness Church called 'Entire Sanctification', in which they believe that upon the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, which they say is a secondary event after salvation (I got everything when I got saved), that now these Christians are 'more sanctified, more holy', 'better', so to speak, a 'super-christian' if you will, but the Bible says we ALL were baptised by one Spirit into one Body. We all are equally indwelt, sealed, guided, empowered, gifted by the Holy Spirit, but not all always filled with the Holy Spirit nor responsive or obedient to Him.

Well, that is just a little of my belief, I know many who have felt they experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit, I have felt HIs overwhelming presence in a worship service, too, so I understand where they come from. I just look at it differently, but I still greatly admire and respect any who would be called Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemby of God/Church of God/Full Gospel/Foursquare, etc, and am closer to them as brothers and sisters in Christ than to some liberal folks who do not believe in the essential doctrines or the inspiration of the Bible. Well, that all just spilled out, I hope it was not offensive, I believe we should do all things out of love, and that's all it is, and its just the tip of the iceberg, so much doctrine to really go over about tongues, and good arguements for and against, just my experience and in-depth study lead me to believe it was a sign gift that has since ceased. Oh, it was also a gift used to teach the church God's word before the Bible was complete as in Corinth, but it was misused badly and Paul had to correct them a lot, but that is a whole bunch more than I want to tackle right now. A lot of it was revelation from God to the people, before they had his complete revelation, the Bible, so now folk who believe in tongues would have to believe in ongoing revelation, while I believe God has revealed all we need for this life in the Bible, and I believe the Holy Spirit gives us 'illumination' of the scriptures. With ongoing revelation, almost anything goes, and has gone. Like the whole 'laughter' movement, the charismatics said it was from God, but when the same church came out with the 'barnyard noises' movement (really), study the Toronto Blessing(s) and see, they of course said it was ridiculous. Okay, I better shut up, peace to all.