• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

speaking in tongues?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
as per my signature,

To be honest, I would believe the same except for the progression of learning. Indeed it is nonsense for those who don't believe. Like when Moses and the Israelites said they couldn't come into the promised land for in essence, it seemed like foolishness or nonsense.

Paul said it this way:

PHILLIPS
The preaching of the cross is, I know, nonsense to those who are involved in this dying world, but to us who are being saved from that death it is nothing less than the power of God.

In my experience it is a venue to receive wisdom from God as we pray in the spirit as well as praying with our understanding.

As an example, when I was selling electronic typewriters (that dates me) I was at a "L" shaped shopping strip. The Cannon electronic typewriter would sell from 2000 up to 3000 dollars.

With typewriter in hand, I headed towards the businesses. Half way into reaching the businesses, I said to myself, "This group of businesses wouldn't have the money". I turned around and started singing in the spirit (biblical words for singing in tongues).

I closed my eyes for about two seconds in this mode of worship and I see letters in an arc shape. I turned around and saw an Insurance business with its name in an arc shape. I went there and they were about to close on a competitors Olivetti electronic typewriter. They bought mine.

Praying in the spirit unleashes understanding of the mysteries of God. It reveals, through words of the Holy Spirit" God's will and purposes.

Now... you don't have to do it. You can call it nonsense and not partake of it. However, I am enjoying the many benefits.
So... you think you can summon clairvoyant powers from God on demand and you used this gift...

... to sell typewriters? o_O

Either there's something horribly wrong with your values or judgment or you aren't being truthful with us.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So... you think you can summon clairvoyant powers from God on demand and you used this gift...

... to sell typewriters? o_O

Either there's something horribly wrong with your values or judgment or you aren't being truthful with us.

Fallacy when you think there are only two options.

1) I didn't summon nor did I demand, nor did I even ask... He gave unexpectedly as He willed (1 Cor 14)
2) There was more to it than typewriters
3) You aren't the judge on truthfulness. :)

PS . Remember the multiplication of jars of oil in the TaNaKh?

lostwanderingsoul

Tongues are languages. If a person speaks French and Spanish ans Italian, you can can he speaks three tongues. Babbling meaningless sounds is not tongues. In the Bible people spoke tongues so the people listening would understand. Not meaningless sounds. Languages.

The Spirit of Truth

The Spirit of Truth
What do people think about speaking in tongues?

I have just been discussing this with an evangelical friend of mine, in a cafe

Apparently he sometimes speaks in tongues although he has never mentioned this to me before I think it is something he keeps to himself which I think is understandable

Suddenly, I felt the urge to burst out in tongues and I opened my mouth and spoke in tongues, in the cafe!

Bizarre and unfamiliar words poured out of my mouth

I did this in hushed tones though, didn't want to make a scene

We had a brief conversation in tongues, but none of us had any idea what we were saying but it somehow felt right and natural

Apparently the current Archbishop of Canterbury speaks in tongues, I heard that somewhere....

So.... what do people think about speaking in tongues?

God allowed only the Disciples to speak languages foreign to them, to enable them to minister to strangers in their own tongue. It may have sounded like jibberish to bystanders but it was not. Those who claim to be talking in tongues today are telling lies for God. Telling lies for God in verse, song or interpretation is a significant cause of rejection of Christianity.
The Spirit of Truth

Kenny

Premium Member
God allowed only the Disciples to speak languages foreign to them, to enable them to minister to strangers in their own tongue. It may have sounded like jibberish to bystanders but it was not. Those who claim to be talking in tongues today are telling lies for God. Telling lies for God in verse, song or interpretation is a significant cause of rejection of Christianity.
The Spirit of Truth
I would have to disagree as it happened to those of the house of Cornelius and in Acts 19. ! Corinthians also dictates that it was a commonplace for all.

I think if people judge the interpretation, one can determine if it was from God or not.

Kelly of the Phoenix

It's silly. To speak in tongues is the ability to be understood by everyone as if you were speaking in their native languages. What we see among Pentecostals and certain Evangelical types is but mere babbling. Nothing miraculous about it.
Yeah it’s supposed to be like you have a universal translator.

The Spirit of Truth

The Spirit of Truth
Kenny said;
I would have to disagree as it happened to those of the house of Cornelius and in Acts 19

Sorry Kenny, I do not have time to waste on this nonsense. However, let it be on my record as saying that Acts 2:4 confirms my assumption of what talking in tongues really means. Speaking with 'other tongues', not talking in tongues. Incidentally, God is not the Holy Ghost. When the Branch grew out of the Rod, i.e.,Jesus returned like a thief in the night, it is He who is the Ghost, because He has lived, died, and returned unannounced in 1940 to judge the world of sin, but, we will not know for certain that He is back.
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy (Ghost) Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Kenny

Premium Member
You can subscribe to whatever you wish. But I can likewise dismiss your blabbing as self delusion.
The power of free will. :) And we can still live together and show love. :) And, in my view, Jesus is still sitting on the throne.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Every time someone brings up the subject, I immediately am reminded of this gem:

Apparently he sometimes speaks in tongues although he has never mentioned this to me before I think it is something he keeps to himself which I think is understandable

Suddenly, I felt the urge to burst out in tongues and I opened my mouth and spoke in tongues, in the cafe!

We had a brief conversation in tongues, but none of us had any idea what we were saying but it somehow felt right and natural

Apparently the current Archbishop of Canterbury speaks in tongues, I heard that somewhere....

My unsalted opinion: it is beyond stupid.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe that it is a gift of the Spirit. I also believe people can mentally invent languages like Klingon.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The last time I looked at it from an academic perspective, there was nothing inherently wrong with it. Not an indicator of mental illness. People who do it seem to get some benefit from it.

From a religious perspective, I don't think the words come from God, but instead the act of speaking in tongues is a demonstration of faith. The ability to stop trying to speak and let whatever comes out come out is faithful.

I believe if the words are not coming from God then it is a fake.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Or being crazy.

I believe I used to work in a mental hospital and my building housed a ward. I had visits from patients at times and not one of them spoke in tongues although I can see why sometimes spiritual things can be mentally challenging especially for a non-believer.