• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Park episode: Go God Go

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
d. said:
i must admit dawkins had it coming...
Actually, I think he gained more than he lost. :) Believe it or not, Dawkins is not a household name, at least not in the U.S. Being skewered on South Park will do tons towards name recognition. And even amongst the atheist forums people were saying that South Park portrayed Dawkins as more moderate regarding religion than he actually is. So if this is someone's first introduction to him, he seems downright reasonable when compared to someone like Mrs. Garrison, for example.

If he's smart, which he is, he'll take it in stride. Should help his book sales. :p

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
FatMan said:
The episodes where they delve into religion are the funniest to me. Partially because of the content, and partially because of the outrage from those watching. Look at the fallout from the Scientology episode.
The outrage seems to me kinda like self-fulfilling punishment. Those who would be outraged deserve to be outraged, and are. Conversely, those who would see humour deserve a good chuckle, and that's what they get. :D

To be fair tho, I thought that they were particularly ruthless with the Scientology episode(s). (Plural if you count chef's departure.) And I say this as someone who's not a fan of scientology.

d.

_______
lilithu said:
Actually, I think he gained more than he lost. :)

i agree - i don't necessarily think you 'lose' something when the joke is on you. it depends on how you handle the situation. :)

i'm watching this episode now - so far it's hilarious.

GoldenDragon

on the war issue I think that as long as humans are around they will find something to have war over with or without religion envolved.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
I'm sure religious folk generally get more ticked off regarding such things.

Wrong. My entire family (Lutherans including pastors, PW's and PK's) are South Park Conservatives and Simpsons fans. Plus we all hail from Colorado.

Scientologists (and most other cultists) are notoriously touchy and defensive / aggressive. (Mr. Cruise, come out of the closet. Mr. Cruise...really, it's time to come out now...)

We loved the Jesus Millenium New Year episode... :biglaugh:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
lilithu said:
I'm sure religious folk generally get more ticked off regarding such things.
Moon Woman said:
Wrong. My entire family (Lutherans including pastors, PW's and PK's) are South Park Conservatives and Simpsons fans. Plus we all hail from Colorado.
I may or may not be wrong with that remark but citing the reaction of your family does not constitute evidence against it. Note the word "generally."

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Whatever your personal opinion might be, it is still just that. By all means, you are entitled to your more negative viewpoint.

I tend to enjoy a more positive view of people of religion based of course on my own relationships and experiences.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I think that series was rather stupid. I didn't really laugh out loud at all, and it's not as though I'm too... something... for South Park. I've laughed hysterically at it a few times, certain scenes.

The episode where the Jewish boy's (I was told saying "The Jew's" anything in English comes across as strange, and to elaborate and says "Jewish X" - if that's right, good!) cousin visits was hilarious.

When Cartman was trying not to make fun of him, and he can't hold it in any longer, and he's groaning and straining... saying he can't hold it any longer... and the teacher says to the Jewish cousin: You need to concentrate! And Cartman says, "Maybe we could put him in a concentration camp!" and then gets mad at himself and says, "***damn it!"

Nadia let out a spontaneous burst laugh, I gasped and giggled, and Eva (Jewish) was sitting there clueless. So nadia translated for her, and Eva just gasped and covered her mouth. And then Nadia and I fell over laughing. LOL And Eva kept slapping us!

So I have enjoyed the show sometimes. ;)

And the Muhammed episodes were hilarious. "You don't care about Muslims, Cartman! You just want to get Family Guy off the air!" LOL And when they played "Bosnians and Americans", which made no sense... we never fought. LOL They fought the Serbs, but anyway...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Moon Woman said:
Whatever your personal opinion might be, it is still just that. By all means, you are entitled to your more negative viewpoint.

I tend to enjoy a more positive view of people of religion based of course on my own relationships and experiences.
I *am* a religious person, in case you haven't noticed. I am well aware that other religious people like South Park. I still stand by my assessment that religious people would generally tend to get more upset about such things. That isn't just based on the reaction of Scientologists. South Park has drawn fire from several religious groups. It's not a matter of "enjoying" a positive or negative view. It's a matter of realistically assessing the situation.

You can disagree with my assesment but it still is the case that citing the opinions of your family has no bearing on the truth or falsity of my statment. That would be like my saying that smoking cigarettes tends to cause cancer and you responding by saying "My entire family smoked and none of them got cancer." It's logically flawed.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Whatever you say Lilithu, you must realize any such generalization is an opinion, nothing more or less. As I said before, you have every right to hold a negative POV, though I find it puzzling, and the advantage of doing so escapes me.

To insinuate my opinion is less credible or that my assessment of religious people's ability to laugh at themselves and enjoy parody is based only upon observation of my family is rather presumptuous in any case, and we should agree to disagree in the interests of maintaining civility.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Moon Woman said:
Whatever you say Lilithu, you must realize any such generalization is an opinion, nothing more or less. As I said before, you have every right to hold a negative POV, though I find it puzzling, and the advantage of doing so escapes me.

To insinuate my opinion is less credible or that my assessment of religious people's ability to laugh at themselves and enjoy parody is based only upon observation of my family is rather presumptuous in any case, and we should agree to disagree in the interests of maintaining civility.
Let me remind you of what you wrote to me:

MW: "Wrong."

And you say that I'm the one who's insinuating that your opinion is less credible.

MW: "My entire family (Lutherans including pastors, PW's and PK's) are South Park Conservatives and Simpsons fans. Plus we all hail from Colorado."

As you wrote this immediately after writing "Wrong." it was reasonable to infer that you were offering this as your evidence as to why I am wrong. There was no presumption on my part other than to take your words seriously.

Ulver

lilithu said:
Let me remind you of what you wrote to me:

MW: "Wrong."

And you say that I'm the one who's insinuating that your opinion is less credible.

MW: "My entire family (Lutherans including pastors, PW's and PK's) are South Park Conservatives and Simpsons fans. Plus we all hail from Colorado."

As you wrote this immediately after writing "Wrong." it was reasonable to infer that you were offering this as your evidence as to why I am wrong. There was no presumption on my part other than to take your words seriously.

It sounds like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

CHILL..... here's a kitty
:kat: