• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Australia: Church of the FSM loses bid for legal recognition

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I can not see any logic in making churches tax exempt. Such transactions as they make that would otherwise would be taxed, should be taxed, as should their staff on their earnings, or benefits in kind. The same tax laws should be applied to everyone and every organisation. Even the military and other governmental organisations should be taxed on any moneymaking activities. In the same was as an outside suppliers of those services would be.

That might seem like taking with one hand and giving back with the other. But it would keep people honest, and level the playing field.

Tax exemptions should only be given on tax you have already paid or assessed for. No refunds on notional tax.

Colt

How many movies have you enjoyed? Books, music, games. What is real? What is valuable?

Aesop's fables teach more principles perhaps because they do not claim to be real. People do not fight the lessons, do not question "is it real" for asop fables.
They are atheists who invented a God that they know isn't real in order to mock religious people. Now they want a church to do it in. I say its fine for purposes of illustration. By their fruits ye will know them.

Clara Tea

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster loses bid for legal recognition as incorporated entity - ABC News Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster not a legal entity but a 'sham religion', tribunal rules

Apparently the tribunal appears to have considered it a parody religion rather than a sincere religion.
The noodles will be up in arms. The meat balls will be furious.

When cooking spaghetti, it is necessary to drain the noodles (which I do with a tennis racket). It is also handy for serving meatballs, though often they are served so fast that no one can catch them.

Clara Tea

They are atheists who invented a God that they know isn't real in order to mock religious people. Now they want a church to do it in. I say its fine for purposes of illustration. By their fruits ye will know them.

Everyone believes that something happens when one dies. Atheists, I suppose, believe that they (or their spirit) ceases to exist.

They have a right to organize socially with others who believe as they do. They have a right to organize their people who believe as they do. They have a right to rally for their Constitutional (and other) rights.

Lets say, for example, that a religion rallies many members to teach creationism in school. Atheists should have the right to get together in large numbers (and not be taxed for having their building) and try to stop the teaching of creationism. It doesn't make sense for the US government to allow one religious group to rally while depriving another religious group (in this case a lack of religion) to do so the same.

Clara Tea

Personally I don't see why it matters if a religion is a mock religion so long as they are prepared to do charity and fill other functions of a religion.

Charity is not a requirement of all religions. Atheism is a belief about how one dies (where do we go if we go anywhere). Virtually everyone has some kind of belief (or lack thereof).

danieldemol

Premium Member
Charity is not a requirement of all religions. Atheism is a belief about how one dies (where do we go if we go anywhere). Virtually everyone has some kind of belief (or lack thereof).
Charity doesn't have to be a requirement of all religions. But doing good or at least doing no harm should be required of religions given tax exempt status, so if the FSM church can demonstrate that it does good then I am personally ok with it being declared a religion on a par with sincere religions in terms of benefits given by the government.

idea

Question Everything

If you have experienced feeling judged, living with minority beliefs, being condemned and told you are evil - when you are not evil, have a happy family, good job, etc.. Fighting with humor rather than fighting with violence, humor is a great way to get points across. Tax-exempt, freedom of beliefs etc needs to either apply to all non-prophet organizations, or none at all. I do not think any church should hold itself above others, claiming extra privileges than any other group.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster loses bid for legal recognition as incorporated entity - ABC News Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster not a legal entity but a 'sham religion', tribunal rules

Apparently the tribunal appears to have considered it a parody religion rather than a sincere religion.
In other words. Nonsense must be taken seriously in order to reach recognition.

at least in Sweden we recognized copimism as an official religion.

ciao

- viole