• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorrowful Psalmist

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I chant the Psalms daily, and it is a lot of words of sorrow, lamentations, feeling abandoned by God, being insulted, afflicted, and sad comments about being a big disgrace, humiliation, being the subject of drunkard's songs, shame covering the face, being hideous in the eyes of others, people seeing him in the streets and running away, his enemies defeating and plundering him, and chronic rejection, danger, dissapointment, and being despised like a leper and hated.

I commend them for keeping the faith through such trials, but it sure sounds agonizing. It doesn't sound like there was much reward to their fidelity at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chant the Psalms daily, and it is a lot of words of sorrow, lamentations, feeling abandoned by God, being insulted, afflicted, and sad comments about being a big disgrace, humiliation, being the subject of drunkard's songs, shame covering the face, being hideous in the eyes of others, people seeing him in the streets and running away, his enemies defeating and plundering him, and chronic rejection, danger, dissapointment, and being despised like a leper and hated.

I commend them for keeping the faith through such trials, but it sure sounds agonizing. It doesn't sound like there was much reward to their fidelity at times.
But did you recognize something in Psalms? Although David was 'King', he was sorrowful. It was after he committed murder to Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, that his sorrows began.

What occurred after his adultery with Uriah's wife?

His son died. His son rebelled against him and had intercourse with one of David's wives on the rooftop for all to see, Y'srael was visited by a plague, wars began. But who was Uriah? Uriah was a faithful servant/soldier unto David.

Okay.. so what could David have done to remedy all this?

Maybe as King, he could have regained composure, asked for forgiveness by following the Law(s) of atonement by following the Law prescriptions for 'sins' and resumed as King. Why didn't he take the recommended 'trespass/sin' offering(s) to the High Priest to make atonement?

Noone needs to 'lament and be sorrowful' if they are cleansed and forgiven.

Exodus 34:6-7 "And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, 7Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."

There is no 'iniquity' when the the sin is forgiven and cleansed.

Last edited:

74x12

No pearls without the annoying grain of sand in the oyster. So they got their Psalms in trying times. But not all the Psalms are set during trying times. Some are triumphs or thanksgiving in good times.