• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sonic Origins

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sonic Origins is a remastered, programmed over again for modern computers, collection of Sonic 1 Genesis, Sonic 2 Genesis, Sonic 3 Genesis, and Sonic CD. It's getting mixed reception, with praises being that it's nice to play the games reworked fixing some retro game issues, but complaints being that the game collection costs $40-45, that in reworking the games there are new bugs, and that despite there not being a huge range of improvements to justify it - the new game taking a fairly modern computer like an i3 or i5 and GeForce 750 Ti just to run it well.

I may try it when it lowers in price.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I own it.

You're right but don't forget, this also includes Sonic and Knuckles, and in the game they bundle it with Sonic 3, effectively calling it Sonic 3 and Knuckles, just like when you put the cartridges together growing up with a Genesis.

I have played the game, experienced numerous bugs playing it, HOWEVER, there are some improvements to the original games. The biggest improvement to me is the fact that you can't lose - there are unlimited lives - and when you achieve things like 100 rings instead of getting an extra life you get coins. Coins can be used for two purposes - to unlock media in the game, or to retry special stages in all five games.

I was playing Sonic 2 and there were just two parts I kept dying in. If I didn't have the unlimited lives I would have to restart from the beginning - and most of my deaths happened at the very end of the game. Also, on a smaller side-note, the spin dash is now in Sonic 1, and definitely makes it more bearable to play.

I would also note that this game is for virtually every system. Steam/PC, Switch, X-Box and PlayStation. The $40/$45 price tag is a bit high, and they weren't able to secure the rights to Carnival Night, Ice Cap or Launch Base Zones music, so they updated the prototype music - which in my opinion sounds worse than the original beta music.

The rumor spreading around is because they refused to put Michael Jackson in the music credits they had to pull them - however - MJ himself distanced himself from the project after finding out about the poor quality of music associated with the typical MIDI file anyways. I don't fully understand it, however, if you own the Steam/PC version there is a mod already out to replace the remastered betas with MJ's tracks.

I must remind you however, that this game is entirely hand-crafted from the originals - not direct ports from emulators or simply remasters. There was a lot of work put done into this, which actually probably justifies the cost of it. While Sonic Mania was $20/$25 and it would have been nice if Origins was the same price, you are essentially getting five games in one, whereas Sonic Mania is just one lengthy campaign.

I haven't played the whole thing yet, but I'd rate this game and what I've done so far a B- on the academic rating scale. If you enjoy classic Sonic just get it now. Any bugs you experience will probably be patched up later. If you don't know if you should get the PC or console version, I would recommend the PC version so you can fix the music issue you'll experience later.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Sadly, I can not recommend Sonic Origins as the definitive way to experience these games.

98C2439C-207E-4541-BF7F-A6F1A6244D4C.jpeg

In Origins’ Sonic 3, they removed certain songs which Michael Jackson had been involved with. Carnival Night, Ice Cap, and Launch base were all replaced with inferior soundtracks. The S3 credits theme isn’t included because the only way to play them now is S3&K, so you only get those credits instead… but fortunately, the S3 Final Boss theme remains, which- little known fact- its chorus is actually a darker, more ominous version of a the S3 credits chorus.

In all the games now, players basically have infinite lives. They say this is “great for children”, but is it really? Death no longer has any consequences. Special Stages can be attempted over an over again indefinitely, stripping away any satisfaction of earning all 7 Chaos Emeralds before reaching the end. The hand holding isn’t at all reflective of the challenges people when through back in the Genesis/ SNES era when dying meant starting all over again, from the beginning, until you had mastered a game well enough to complete it. Death- and failure- was a teacher… and only by learning and applying your lessons well, would you triumph.

All and all, it’s still Sonic… and I loved these games as a child. I still do. Unfortunately, I would only recommend Sonic Origins to those who have absolutely no way else to play these games.

Sonic 3- “Ice Cap Zone” (pre-Origins)
Sonic 3- “Final Boss”
Sonic 3- “Credits” (not in Origins) (Compare 0:49- 1:03 with Sonic 3 Final Boss 0:46- 0:57)
Michael Jackson- “Stranger in Moscow” (Compare with Sonic 3 Credits)

I wish… that a game called “Sonic Origins” was more true to its origins.

R.I.P. M.J.