• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something to keep in mind when reading Lore

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
This mostly applies to the surviving written stories that are either recordings of pre-Christian stories (such as those found in the Poetic Edda), or post-Christian stories that were heavily influenced by pre-Christian beliefs (such as Beowulf).

The thing to keep in mind is the specific work's target audience.

I seriously doubt the bulk of surviving accounts of our Lore were written for what we'd call "posterity". Rather, they were written down because the author either liked them, or their audience liked them. All of them, without any exception that I'm aware of, were written by Christians, for Christian audiences. Not recently converted Christians, either, as by that point, their cultures had been Christian for at least the same amount of time that the US has existed. If the identity of Americans as Americans (separate from the English but still with a little love, perhaps a bit cultural nostalgic in nature, for English Lore such as the stories of King Arthur and Robin Hood) is anything to go by, your average person during the times these writings were made would probably be offended at the suggestion that they were pagan. Try calling your average American an Englishman.

Consider, also, folks like Tolkien, who longed for England to have a mythology of its own, and so set out to create one for himself only loosely based on what little survived (and actually succeeded fairly well, all things considered). However, his stories still contain heavy Christian themes because he was so devoutly Catholic.

Another thing to keep in mind, and this is really what inspired this thread in the first place, is that stories like Beowulf were composed for Kings. I seriously doubt your average Anglo-Saxon farmer would have been interested by the long lineage passages, or how great Kings are and that it's really not their fault, really, when things go wrong in the land!

The reason I'm saying all this is mostly to help newcomers to European Paganism remember that we know virtually nothing with certainty about what people believed before Christianity, since pre-Christian Northern Europeans didn't write stuff down much, and when they did, it had nothing to do with Lore. What little we do know has a lot of bias attached that has to be sifted through, but it can be difficult to separate the pre-Christian from the post-Christian influences, or the differing interests between classes or Tribes/Kingdoms. What I know with 90% certainty, however, is that there was far, far more diversity in terms of what was believed and practiced, even regarding the same Gods and stories, than romanticized portrayals of these people suggest.

A good microcosm of this divide is the issue of Valhalla. Nowadays, we say that those who die in battle go to either Valhalla or Folkvangr, while everyone else goes to Helheim. But from what I've seen, such a distinction is only in the Prose Edda; other sources suggest there may not have been any differences between these realms, and that they were all just kennings for the same place.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think another possible title for this thread could be "Why we are all contemporary or "neo" Pagans whether we like to admit it or not." :D

The lack of certainty with respect to practices of antiquity is a major reason why I have had trouble understanding a purist attitude within Neopaganism, and reconstructionism in particular. I've seen various discussions and spats over what is and isn't "historically valid" often as if this is the most important thing to keep in mind with developing a reconstructed religious practice. No matter what we do, no matter how "historically valid" we attempt to be, we are inevitably reconstructing and altering things. Not just by virtue of how the lore was handed down to us, but because our own perspectives as 21st century, information age citizens is inevitably going to alter our understanding of what we do have access to.

As an example, it is very common for certain groups within the Neopagan community to emphasize the male-female or God-Goddess polarity in old lore. Was this really a major point in historical Paganisms? Or is this our version of the story, colored by the contemporary religion of Wicca and the Feminist movement that influenced it?

Maybe a good thing to keep in mind is that there isn't a "right" way to interpret a story and draw meaning from it to incorporate into your life. So long as the inspiration has found you, isn't that what matters more?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
There is also a big problem regarding what modern people think of regarding Germanic paganism in general. What people actually think of is Norse paganism, which makes some sense, as it got to develop the longest. One can chart this development through how Odin is regarded. Only in the Anglo-Saxon & Norse variants of Germanic paganism is Odin/Wotan rendered the Highest God, supplanting Tyr as the Lord of Asgard. However, Anglo-Saxon paganism lacks the figure of Loki and thus also the Midgard-Serpent and Fenrir-Worldbreaker, and lacks also Surtr and the Ship of Nails.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Something to keep in mind about Paganism in general is how the Churches took pagan works and turned them around into Christian Works, that's not only regarding literature but pagan works of sciences, astronomy and medicine. The gave pagan books of Medicines to the Nuns.

Other than that regarding any of the literature it's only an interpretation, even Christian interpretation, of it's original folk legend. The truest legends hopefully procure themselves someday. Because Pagans or people in general back then didn't know how to read and write. My ***, I heard that growing up too.

That would just be the bee's knee's if a God presented himself, I could deal with being hanged for debauchery. Like Thor, it would be irrefutably epic if he hit the press. He is undeniably the most massive and Godly individual I have ever imagined.

I mean, I literally believe in these deities but they're suit fine in being so meek and we have technology and so many fabulous champions honoring them.

I can't stand it myself. I would go mad in such an arrangement. I'm a little mad, but I handle it well.