• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

something on my mind

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
When possible, isn't baptism done during babyhood? Therefore, presumably, according to Christianity, babies need baptism.

Terry Sampson

When possible, isn't baptism done during babyhood? Therefore, presumably, according to Christianity, babies need baptism.
Uhhh, ... not quite. Roughly,
  • According to "High Church" Christians, paedobaptism/infant baptism is an act arranged by parents/guardians which serves a good number of "spiritual" functions: cleansing from original sin, invoking divine protection, etc.
  • According to "Low Church" Christians, paedobaptism is ignorant pagan nonsense, and the only correct baptism is one requested by the baptizee and involving complete immersion.
  • By very poor analogy, paedobaptism is vaguely similar to bris-ing a male infant.
  • Baptism, adult or infant, confers "communal identity" with all the rights and benefits of that identity.
    • I suspect, but have never confirmed, that two people would have a difficult time getting a "church" wedding if neither had ever been baptized.
  • I have an unconfirmed theory that, possibly, ... oh, say, maybe 75% of the folks who count themselves as ex-Christian were baptized as infants, ... which is one of the reasons the Low Church (i.e. Protestants) disapprove of it.
  • Clearly, IMO, folks who don't subscribe to Original Sin and acknowledge the Power of the Prince of Darkness will lack even the slightest bit of appreciation for baptism, much less infant baptism.

Frank,
Although I'm pleased to see that this is not another one of your "translucent dreams" or "out-of-body/astral projection" threads, I gotta ask: Why are you asking if babies "need" baptism? Do you have some babies whose spiritual welfare you are concerned about?

Last edited:

Frank Goad

Uhhh, ... not quite. Roughly,
  • According to "High Church" Christians, paedobaptism/infant baptism is an act arranged by parents/guardians which serves a good number of "spiritual" functions: cleansing from original sin, invoking divine protection, etc.
  • According to "Low Church" Christians, paedobaptism is ignorant pagan nonsense, and the only correct baptism is one requested by the baptizee and involving complete immersion.
  • By very poor analogy, paedobaptism is vaguely similar to bris-ing a male infant.
  • Baptism, adult or infant, confers "communal identity" with all the rights and benefits of that identity.
    • I suspect, but have never confirmed, that two people would have a difficult time getting a "church" wedding if neither had ever been baptized.
  • I have an unconfirmed theory that, possibly, ... oh, say, maybe 75% of the folks who count themselves as ex-Christian were baptized as infants, ... which is one of the reasons the Low Church (i.e. Protestants) disapprove of it.
  • Clearly, IMO, folks who don't subscribe to Original Sin and acknowledge the Power of the Prince of Darkness will lack even the slightest bit of appreciation for baptism, much less infant baptism.

Frank,
Although I'm pleased to see that this is not another one of your "translucent dreams" or "out-of-body/astral projection" threads, I gotta ask: Why are you asking if babies "need" baptism? Do you have some babies whose spiritual welfare you are concerned about?

No just curious.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Do babies need baptized?
There isn't any scriptural reference so it just depends on who you ask.

In our views, it isn't necessary. A great tradition, (we dedicate the children and anoint with oil - no water), but in our views, not necessary.

lostwanderingsoul

There is nothing in the Bible about infant baptism. In fact, the Bible says a person must repent of his sins before baptism. Babies cannot repent.