• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something interesting happened to me today, opinions?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Today I had one of my episodes of very high depression (don't worry on friday I'm seeing the doc) and when I felt desperate, I started praying to every deities and beings I knew of. Last was Jesus.

It made me feel instantly better and it made me stop sobbing and crying. The interesting part of it is that I never liked Christianity nor was I ever interested in it. Maybe I'll go as far as saying that my feelings towards it is resentment since my mom baptised me when I was an infant. I also never liked how (many) Christians preach and tell of their "miracles". It was the thing that angered me the most. Well perhaps there is some truth to it.

Now I'm not saying I'm converting to Christianity because of this but it is being taken into consideration. Personal experiances are to me very important and since I never had this sort of experience with any other religion... Well +1 for this faith. Credit is given where it is due!

I'd like to hear what people think of this. :help: Am I just going crazy or is there something more to this? :areyoucra or :eek:?

InChrist

Free4ever
Today I had one of my episodes of very high depression (don't worry on friday I'm seeing the doc) and when I felt desperate, I started praying to every deities and beings I knew of. Last was Jesus.

It made me feel instantly better and it made me stop sobbing and crying. The interesting part of it is that I never liked Christianity nor was I ever interested in it. Maybe I'll go as far as saying that my feelings towards it is resentment since my mom baptised me when I was an infant. I also never liked how (many) Christians preach and tell of their "miracles". It was the thing that angered me the most. Well perhaps there is some truth to it.

Now I'm not saying I'm converting to Christianity because of this but it is being taken into consideration. Personal experiances are to me very important and since I never had this sort of experience with any other religion... Well +1 for this faith. Credit is given where it is due!

I'd like to hear what people think of this. :help: Am I just going crazy or is there something more to this? :areyoucra or :eek:?

I don't think you are crazy since I believe that Jesus is the name above all names and He has power over heaven and earth. I have read amazing accounts of people being saved from bad situations by calling on the name of Jesus and have personal experience myself. One of my favorite books related to this is Death of a Guru, by Rabi R. Maharaj.

I was baptized as an infant and it meant nothing, but now I know the love, power, and freedom of Jesus Christ in my life. I suggest you just keeping seeking and ask Jesus to make Himself real to you in a way that you clearly understand.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Read the 4 testaments for yourself, and everything you read and see test with your heart and ask spiritual guidance to Jesus himself.

Many christians believe many different things, and it is important that what seemed to start witha genuine direct contact between you and Jesus keeps on by that very same contact.

It is, after all CHRISTianity :D

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Thank you both for your replies and advice! I'll try to pray some more, talk to Jesus and listen. I've also started to read the bible, a simple modern version (New International Version UK) so that it's easier to understand and more pleasant to read. Some people like old English but personally it's a chore and really boring...

Bob Dixon

>implying
Thank you both for your replies and advice! I'll try to pray some more, talk to Jesus and listen. I've also started to read the bible, a simple modern version (New International Version UK) so that it's easier to understand and more pleasant to read. Some people like old English but personally it's a chore and really boring...

Now, the Bible is quite a difficult text!
Make sure you get some real commentary on that, just because someone in the 21st Century in the UK who is reading a text aimed at Jews who lived thousands of years ago is bound to run into troubles.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Yes I will, but I'm aware of some of those difficulties, so don't worry! It just helps to have a modern English version of the bible because otherwise I would need to look up what each sentence means on top of the interpretation. I'm useless with old English, unfortunatly.

InChrist

Free4ever

I read the New King James because I also prefer the more modern, everyday English. I have an NIV, also. I think commentaries can be helpful sometimes, but I still prefer to ask Jesus to give clarity and understanding for difficult passages and just wait. I have found it is not necessary to be in rush to understand everything all at once. God provides wisdom and understanding as needed.

Bob Dixon

>implying
I read the New King James because I also prefer the more modern, everyday English. I have an NIV, also. I think commentaries can be helpful sometimes, but I still prefer to ask Jesus to give clarity and understanding for difficult passages and just wait. I have found it is not necessary to be in rush to understand everything all at once. God provides wisdom and understanding as needed.

Unfortunately, you're not a prophet (as far as I know), so getting knowledge directly from God would be a bit difficult.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Unfortunately, you're not a prophet (as far as I know), so getting knowledge directly from God would be a bit difficult.

Not at all... the Holy Spirit is with us all the time . He comforts and Guides us.
God has never stopped speaking to us. We just have to listen.

Green Kepi

Illykitty... Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7.

What does this mean? It means that God gives His children such a peace, that human minds cannot comprehend it or contain it. The understanding of those without Christ can never fathom this peace.

God’s peace has no relationship to the state of our worldly affairs. Psychology and Psychiatry can lay down all man’s principles for life which they think will promote happiness and serenity and well-being, but they cannot give peace to troubled souls, a peace undisturbed by surrounding events and which cannot be encroached upon by the any difficulty. Nothing man has to offer can produce the peace of God, which transcends all understanding.

The peace that flows from God not only transforms us from within but reforms our outer life and this peace keeps the heart and mind through Jesus Christ. Without Christ Jesus, this peace would not exist. Without our Lord and Savior, this peace cannot be maintained.

It takes daily study; it takes continual looking with the eye of faith to Him who bled upon the Cross; it takes continual drawings from the ever-flowing Fountain filled with blood for this peace to abide and to endure. May God bless you....

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
And remember - you don't have to be a prophet to hear that small, still voice in your heart.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Read a little - and then listen. Go outside and revel in the beauty of fall - and listen. God promises that if we seek wisdom from Him, He will give it to us.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
And remember - you don't have to be a prophet to hear that small, still voice in your heart.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Read a little - and then listen. Go outside and revel in the beauty of fall - and listen. God promises that if we seek wisdom from Him, He will give it to us.

I must spread some frubals it seems.

[youtube]ezSQHf8zeaU[/youtube]
Be Still for the Presence of the Lord-Waringstown Primary - YouTube

Be still for the presence of the Lord The holy one is here Come bow before him now With reverence and fear In him no sin is found We stand on holy ground Be still for the presence of the Lord The holy one is here

Be still for the glory of the Lord Is shining all around He burns with holy fire With splendour he is crowned How awesome is the sight Our radiant king of light Be still for the glory of the Lord Is shining all around

Be still for the power of the Lord Is moving in this place He comes to cleanse and heal To minister his grace No work to hard for him In faith receive from him Be still for the power of the Lord Is moving in this place

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Terry - how beautiful! I love it. Thank you.

I'm posting this on my Facebook page!

InChrist

Free4ever
I do agree. But, for some, separating personal conviction from divine truth can be difficult.

That is what the Word of God is for:

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness 2 Tim. 3:16

These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. Acts 17:11

Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thess. 5:21

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12