• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something and nothing

btbrae

You are creating the universe from the beginning.

You know there is something but you know nothing about it. Therefore, you have something and nothing.

Wisdom wants to know where they stand, and they figure out that if they stand next to nothing then they'll know nothing about anything. So they stand next to something and something becomes faith.

Someone else decides greed beats wisdom to it and something becomes power.

How might the universe avoid becoming anything but belief or anything but power?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
To know the ends of greed and to know the limits of wisdom and that more is needed to sustain life.

Ultimately you would want your universe to become life and life friendly.

The nothing is impossible to exist. Everything is at least something.

Skwim

Veteran Member

You know there is something but you know nothing about it. Therefore, you have something and nothing.
Well, you may have something, but the nothing only reflects the state of your knowledge. So they're hardly equal in concept.

Wisdom wants to know where they stand, and they figure out that if they stand next to nothing then they'll know nothing about anything. So they stand next to something and something becomes faith.
Who is this "they" that stands someplace and does the figuring out?

How might the universe avoid becoming anything but belief or anything but power?

What "it"?

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Welcome to RF, please enjoy some cake to celebrate a new member

guide_perigord_fr_complet_150dpi_050_3.png

Re the OP, here is something from nothing
Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing

And something else from nothing
Ask Ethan: Can We Really Get A Universe From Nothing?

siti

If "wisdom" really wants to know where it stands, it has to stand next to nothing and realize that that's precisely what it knows about anything. Once wisdom "knows" it ceases to be wisdom any more and becomes faith...faith in its own knowledge - which really is nothing.

btbrae

To know the ends of greed and to know the limits of wisdom and that more is needed to sustain life.

Ultimately you would want your universe to become life and life friendly.

The nothing is impossible to exist. Everything is at least something.

I agree you would want it to be life friendly. Do you believe in a universe as a construct of life or a container of life because your statement seems to suggest the first. Have you considered that much because it seems like an interesting notion.

Re impossible... is impossibility not an idea you are required to believe in or understand before you can say that nothing is impossible to exist.

Is there a contradiction between nothing is impossible and nothing is impossible to exist because one sits apart from hope and the other sits next to it?

btbrae

Well, you may have something, but the nothing only reflects the state of your knowledge. So they're hardly equal in concept.

Who is this "they" that stands someplace and does the figuring out?

What "it"?

I suppose something would have to create someone or be someone or create something else for they to exist.

So you might have...
Nothing | Something | Something else

But if you consider wisdom as a person you can have

Nothing | Something | Wisdom

And something as it and then it becomes faith or greed.

Nothing | Faith
Nothing | Greed

And if you have two universes they might agree on nothing and disagree on the rest so you have...

Faith | Compromise | Greed

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I agree you would want it to be life friendly. Do you believe in a universe as a construct of life or a container of life because your statement seems to suggest the first. Have you considered that much because it seems like an interesting notion.

Re impossible... is impossibility not an idea you are required to believe in or understand before you can say that nothing is impossible to exist.

Is there a contradiction between nothing is impossible and nothing is impossible to exist because one sits apart from hope and the other sits next to it?

I think life is a part of existence and along for the ride. I think life makes other life and we are not some fluke occurence.

My intuition tells me that since there is existence then it must be infinitely existing in all directions and that absolute nothingness is not possible. Out beyond our universe existence has some other form to it.

I just read a story that they found a star older than the age of our universe. That would be impossible under the Big Bang Theory.

Its hard to conceive that there would be absolute nothing other than the cosmos that are known. I do not know any other way of imagining it.