• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Good News about Ozone!

exchemist

Veteran Member
that's quite a difference...!!!!!!!

my report came from memory.....long ago
so I can't recall the source

the link shows a depth more than 100,000 ft (1100,000 to 32,000)

is that pure?

(there is an obvious typo in the stat)
Actually the link does contain the following (rather unclear) comment: " Within the range of 10 to 50 km, the greatest concentration is from 20 to 40 km (estimated to be 8 parts for every million). Brought down to sea level, the ozone would however, be only a few millimeters thick."

What I think this must mean is that if one were to compress the part of the atmosphere where the ozone layer is enough to bring it up to sea level pressure, then it would only be a few millimetres in thickness. Perhaps this is what you were recalling.

I'm not sure of the point of that comparison, myself - doesn't seem to shed any light on anything.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Actually it is not cosmic rays that the ozone layer protects us from, it is UV from the sun.

But indeed good news it is healing. In fact this is a great example of international cooperation. My suspicion is it was helped by the fact that the refrigerant industry has a number of global players who could see that offering alternatives could be a new stream of income. So they were quite happy to see laws passed banning the old generic and low-margin refrigerants and forcing makers of fridges to buy the new ones.

Thanks for the correction. I shouldn't post stuff when I'm so short on sleep -- but it's fun to post good news!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I mean really: do you cut the air supply to the plants we are trying to get to recover? Do you cut a trauma patient's oxygen, or do you give them extra oxygen while you are treating them? Cutting carbon dioxide makes zero sense to me in this respect.
It's that we're putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere that is the problem. Most things are safe in small amounts. Just about anything can cause problems when used to excess - even water can kill if too much is drank too quickly. It is fact that carbon dioxide gets trapped in the atmosphere and causes a greenhouse effect.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
It's that we're putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere that is the problem. Most things are safe in small amounts. Just about anything can cause problems when used to excess - even water can kill if too much is drank too quickly. It is fact that carbon dioxide gets trapped in the atmosphere and causes a greenhouse effect.
I'm looking at the larger mass-extinction problem.