• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solutions to Poverty in the United States

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Society deepens and worsens poverty by punishing people who don't have children. People don't want to decrease, because children are their retirement plan. You have to provide a secure retirement solution, and then you can encourage people not to overpopulate.
Children are a retirement plan?
In the old days, perhaps.
But nowadays it's more cost effective to avoid kids.
But people generally make choices to have them or not for other reasons.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
Children are a retirement plan?
In the old days, perhaps.
But nowadays it's more cost effective to avoid kids.
But people generally make choices to have them or not for other reasons.
This is a worldwide issue so yes, but I recognize there are many other reasons people choose to have children. The only thing I wish to observe is that children are the default retirement when nothing else is available. The old days are still with us in many ways, plus they can always come back.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is a worldwide issue so yes, but I recognize there are many other reasons people choose to have children. The only thing I wish to observe is that children are the default retirement when nothing else is available. The old days are still with us in many ways, plus they can always come back.
I tend to forget about all the ferriners here.
Provincial of me, eh?

Now now! Let's not get all prejudiced about fast-food. Fast food standards are now extremely high because these huge franchise based organisations had to step up, many years ago, to meet the allegations which led to the term 'junk-food'.
LOL! Yes yes, every dietician I know says, "Go ahead, eat all the fast food you want, it's totally healthy!"

Surely you jest.

oldbadger said:
Over the years I have noticed that expensive restaurants often get nailed by our health inspection teams. We forget about those!
Restaurants of all shapes and sizes get nailed by health inspectors. What does that have to do with cheap food in the States often being really bad for you?

oldbadger said:
Cases of severe illness caused by uncooked food, especially meats, cannot be placed at the doorstep of fast-food outlets.
I'm not blaming them for leprosy, either. But I have no idea what that has to do with the price of tea in China.

oldbadger said:
Yes............ but the main reason is different from your suggestion. Yes, Fast-food does contain more nutrients per gram (on average) than more expensive diets, including fats. But fats are not auto-bad.
Preaching to the choir, brother. But all fats are not created equal, either. The fat in an avocado is different from the fat in a Big Mac.

oldbadger said:
The problem lies with eating culture and living culture. Look at these paras I just dug up off wiki:-
Diets_in_Economic_Classes_in_the_United_States
Each month the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) develops four food budgets: Thrifty, Low-Cost, Moderate-Cost, and Liberal Food Plans. Each plan or budget corresponds to different income levels. The USDA claims that despite the differences in total cost of the four plans, each provides a healthy and nutritious diet, suggesting that all Americans are financially able to live a healthy life [5].
People of different economic statuses place different levels of importance on their health. Although people of both low and high income tend to place great value in healthy eating, people of low economic status tend to devote less energy, money and time to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. [8] People's expectation of their future also influences their prioritization of healthy living. Generally, people with better education and higher income are more forward-looking and hold an optimistic view about their future, and are thus more willing to invest their limited resources in maintaining their own health. [9] In general, these socioeconomic factors alter people’s attitudes towards health and show that overall, a greater value is place on health in higher income groups. The higher value people put on health, the more they are motivated to keep a healthy diet.
And why do you suppose that poor people might devote less energy, money, and time to the maintenance of a healthy lifestyle than rich people? Because they're just lazy bums who deserve to be fat and poor? That's your basic premise with all this, right? The poor deserve to be poor - and by extension, deserve to be sick.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason is because they HAVE less energy, money, and time than the rich to devote to shopping in organic food stores and hitting the gym. Because they're trying to, you know, keep from being evicted, keep the lights and water on, feed their kids, and so on - things the rich never have to worry about (or not nearly as much).

Maybe, just maybe, another reason is the part you failed to highlight there - poverty affects you psychologically. It creates a destructive cycle that exacerbates already existing issues and creates new ones - and is very hard to overcome.

Diets_in_Economic_Classes_in_the_United_States
Each month the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) develops four food budgets: Thrifty, Low-Cost, Moderate-Cost, and Liberal Food Plans. Each plan or budget corresponds to different income levels. The USDA claims that despite the differences in total cost of the four plans, each provides a healthy and nutritious diet, suggesting that all Americans are financially able to live a healthy life [5].
People of different economic statuses place different levels of importance on their health. Although people of both low and high income tend to place great value in healthy eating, people of low economic status tend to devote less energy, money and time to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. [8] People's expectation of their future also influences their prioritization of healthy living. Generally, people with better education and higher income are more forward-looking and hold an optimistic view about their future, and are thus more willing to invest their limited resources in maintaining their own health. [9] In general, these socioeconomic factors alter people’s attitudes towards health and show that overall, a greater value is place on health in higher income groups. The higher value people put on health, the more they are motivated to keep a healthy diet.
I should also mention that you very selectively quoted from this article. Between the paragraph that ends, "...able to live a healthy life," and the paragraph that begins "People of different economic statuses..." we find this paragraph:

"The major obstacles that impede people of lower income groups from getting healthy food are food costs and physical accessibility. Lower income individuals tend to purchase food with lower unit cost, which tend to have denser calorie content. [6] This phenomenon explains the lower income groups' tendency to consume higher calorie content food, or more commonly referred to as "junk food". Low-income groups are also limited in their access to healthy food. Poorer communities tend to have scarcer healthy grocery stores. [7] Also, people in these communities are less likely to own a car, which makes it more difficult for them to travel to other areas to shop for healthy groceries." Lentis/Obesity and Diets in Economic Classes in the United States - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pop the bubble of concentrated power, increase workers rights and tilt the power relation between worker and owner a bit heavy towards the worker, decrease materialism and waste, reduce profit motive, increase government spending in health care (especially mental health), job training and education, job placement assistance, invest more in the people, ending corporate and trader tax-loopholes, adjust to tax brackets to better distinguish between 10%, 1%, and .1%, and by promoting math skills, critical thinking, and literacy awareness.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Because I mentioned that an enormous % of people in the Western World are clinically obese, you seem to think that you know all about my opinions. That's very wrong.

So tell me where you would spend $1000 towards your idea of assistance for the poor, and I will tell you where I would spend my £1000.

And then, tell me how you would raise the quality of life for poor Americans in a paragraph, and then I will tell you where I would attempt to do so.

Yes? Move forward?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I should also mention that you very selectively quoted from this article. Between the paragraph that ends, "...able to live a healthy life," and the paragraph that begins "People of different economic statuses..." we find this paragraph:

"The major obstacles that impede people of lower income groups from getting healthy food are food costs and physical accessibility. Lower income individuals tend to purchase food with lower unit cost, which tend to have denser calorie content. [6] This phenomenon explains the lower income groups' tendency to consume higher calorie content food, or more commonly referred to as "junk food". Low-income groups are also limited in their access to healthy food. Poorer communities tend to have scarcer healthy grocery stores. [7] Also, people in these communities are less likely to own a car, which makes it more difficult for them to travel to other areas to shop for healthy groceries." Lentis/Obesity and Diets in Economic Classes in the United States - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

............. but you fail to mention (selectively?) that I wrote:-
Yes, Fast-food does contain more nutrients per gram (on average) than more expensive diets, including fats. But fats are not auto-bad. The problem lies with eating culture and living culture. Look at these paras I just dug up off wiki:-

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
LOL! Yes yes, every dietician I know says, "Go ahead, eat all the fast food you want, it's totally healthy!"

Surely you jest.
Ha ha! :p

GOTCHA! :D
This morning I told my wife about our debate about US food. She laughed out loud.
She said, 'My Boss went to Las Vegas last week with six friends to celebrate her 50th. They stayed in huge hotel with canals and gondolas all around it. They went to a hotel restaurant and saw that other customers were eating MASSIVELY HUGE burgers and so they ordered only 4 burgers, and a single portion of Chips and onion rings...... to go round 7 (English) people. They could not finish the meal! Many customers were boasting about how much money they had lost on the gambling machines..... THOUSANDS....... so they were wealthy, and THEY WERE HUGELY OBESE! What a joke...... these hotels offer the hugest of everything that can be thought up, and he (that's you) reckons they would let the world accuse them of serving crap food!'

She continued,'I watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and the food is amazing, and the plates are piled high with food. Guy Ferreria revels in the quality and taste as he bites deep into the huge portions. I also have heard that US Hygiene and Health standards are of the highest in the World.'
That's Mrs B for you......... she's gorgeous as well as quick.

So let's talk about free Obamacare for all low earners and benifits folks. And free County-State Coach travel for all folks over 60. And better adverts to promote less food intake. And incentive for food outlets to offer smaller meals and lower prices. And intense investigation into tax evasion by the wealthy. And nil taxation on low earners. And a ruthless tax on any outlets who sell food with a fat/cholesterol content about a certain % (whatever). And free car tax (1 vehicle) for working people on low incomes?
But don't give me any more of your self-righteous bull .................................. :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
................................. children are the default retirement when nothing else is available. The old days are still with us in many ways, plus they can always come back.
Oh No! Oh God! Please!
........... tell me that they don't........
......oh, how shocking.........

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Stop spending so much money on space projects, look after your own planet first.
Oh, great.....save not nearly enuf money to cure poverty, but make the world a far more boring place.

Anyway, taking care of our planet benefits from the space program, eg, studying global warming, advance warning of dangerous near Earth objects. And there's self defense.

NoX

Imperialism causes the poverty and richness. We dont want a World with rich and poor people, we want a World with just "human beings", away from the classes.

MONEYLENDING SYSTEM IS A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.

" Those who consume usury do not rise except as one being influenced by the touch of the devil. That is because they have said: "Trade is the same as usury." While God has made trade lawful, and He has made usury unlawful. Whoever has received understanding from His Lord and ceases, then he will be forgiven for what was before this and his case will be with God. But whoever returns, then they are the people of the Fire, in it they will abide. " 2:275

" O you who believe, be aware of God and give up what is left from usury, if you are truly believers." 2:278

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I like our money lending system....except that there's too much government involvement.
People who oppose it for religious reasons may simply abstain.

Laika

Premium Member
You can start by implementing Roosevelt's (FDR) "second bill of rights" (a proposal for economic and social rights) and write it in the to US Constitution where it belongs. People should have a right medical care, education, a home, food and clothing and social security for old age, sickness, accident and unemployment. Once these rights are recognized, then people can figure out how best to secure them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You can start by implementing Roosevelt's (FDR) "second bill of rights" (a proposal for economic and social rights) and write it in the to US Constitution where it belongs. People should have a right medical care, education, a home, food and clothing and social security for old age, sickness, accident and unemployment. Once these rights are recognized, then people can figure out how best to secure them.
If all these things are provided, why would anyone need to work?
I think yer onto something!