• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

FatMan

OK - I've had this question since College - so obviously It's not the most critical thing in my life to figure out (Seeing that 15 years have elapsed), but what do the lyrics to "Solsbury Hill" mean?

Does it have a religious connotation or is it just something Gabriel put together while stoned??:D

Comments?

FatMan

So I guess the tie-in to Genesis makes it religious:yes:

Wikipedia is a wonderful invention - I guess I should've tried there and not banged my head against the wall for at least the past 5 years!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i personally would say that it has a subtle pagan implication, but i am wary of interpriting song lyrics, as only the author knows the intent behind them.

FatMan

Mike182 said:
i personally would say that it has a subtle pagan implication, but i am wary of interpriting song lyrics, as only the author knows the intent behind them.

I think I should have spent more time enjoying the song instead of dwelling on the meaning. I have to admit if I hear it during the day (like I did earlier), I'm humming it the rest of the night.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Mike182 said:
The author's intent should be irrelevant to your interpretation --it is, after all, yours. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Of particular interest to me is a comment there by Don Grabon. He said:

This song took on a particular meaning for me when I switched majors from engineering to East Asian Studies rather late in my undergraduate career. Tied into that as well was a serious change in my religious life and my general outlook on what life is all about. It was a terribly difficult decision to clear with my friends, my family, and myself, but it was something I absolutely felt I had to do. I happened to pop the song into my CD player after finally building up the willpower to make the switch, and I pretty much stood there gaping– I always understood the emotions in the song, but now I could really identify with them. All of a sudden the song was about my life. It was pretty powerful.
Just recently I realized that in my case, walking right out of the machinery takes both a figurative and a literal (i.e., getting away from engineering labs) meaning. kinda funky.

That is the same realisation that happens in divination, where the literally interpreted symbolism suddenly takes on a whole new meaning, because now it relates directly to you.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Willamena said:
That is the same realisation that happens in divination, where the literally interpreted symbolism suddenly takes on a whole new meaning, because now it relates directly to you.

It happens with any great, creative art. Religious mythology is there for me to find myself. It really doesn't matter what the artist intends. What matters is what the art reveals to me about myself and where it takes me. This happens to me frequently with music. I'll be listening to a song I've heard hundreds of times and it will suddenly mean something profound to me that I never noticed before.

For example, I really listened to the lyrics to the Barry Gibb/Frankie Valli song "Grease" (the theme song from the movie) a couple of weeks ago. I never really thought about what its lyrics meant to me before.

I solve my problems and I see the light
We gotta plug and think, we gotta feed it right
There ain't no danger we can go to far
We start believing now that we can be who we are

Grease is the word
They think our love is just a growing pain
Why don't they understand, It's just a crying shame
Their lips are lying only real is real
We start to find right now we got to be what we feel

Grease is the word
Grease is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got groove it's got meaning
Grease is the time, is the place is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling

We take the pressure and we throw away
Conventionality belongs to yesterday
There is a chance that we can make it so far
We start believing now that we can be wo we are

Grease is the word
This is the life of illusion
Wrapped up in trouble laced with confusion
What we doing here?

We take the pressure and we throw away
Conventionality belongs to yesterday
There is a chance that we can make it so far
We start believing now that we can be who we are

Grease is the word

Grease is the word
Is the word
Is the word
Is the word
Is the word
Is the word
Is the word
Is the word
Is the word

FatMan

That's great!!! I'd never thought I'd see a post that tied the profoundness of Solsbury hill to that of Grease. Not only did you do that, you did it in a way that I believe there is a profoundess in the Grease lyrics!!:monkey:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
doppelgänger said:
It happens with any great, creative art. Religious mythology is there for me to find myself. It really doesn't matter what the artist intends. What matters is what the art reveals to me about myself and where it takes me.
Just so. This is how divinations "come true," and incidentally how myth is incorporated into the Zodiac of astrology (my next series of articles, which will be much more difficult to write than the planets were).

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Willamena said:
Just so. This is how divinations "come true," and incidentally how myth is incorporated into the Zodiac of astrology (my next series of articles, which will be much more difficult to write than the planets were).

I'm looking forward to reading more of your take on astrology and divination.