• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sola Fide

roger1440

I do stuff
For many Christians (mostly Protestants) salvation is determined by faith alone, not works (deeds). That type of salvation is known as sola fide. The concept is derived form Ephesians 2:8-9...

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

The problem is that many Christians cherry pick this verse and ignore what the rest of the Bible says, especially Revelation 20:12...

And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.

And James 2:26...

For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

It would seem that it takes just more than a belief in order to pass judgment and make it to paradise. You must walk the walk, not just talk the talk. That's why you can't just do anything you want to as long as you are "saved." It would seem that the Catholics and Eastern Orthodox are right on this point, within the realm of Christianity.
The point Martin Luther made is that a person does not do works to get closer to God. It is because they are close to God they do works. "Salvation" or what ever you want to call it is not earned by doing works.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The point Martin Luther made is that a person does not do works to get closer to God. It is because they are close to God they do works. "Salvation" or what ever you want to call it is not earned by doing works.

Yet you will be judged by those works (deeds), not what you believe. Revelation 20. Thus the contradiction.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Yet you will be judged by those works (deeds), not what you believe. Revelation 20. Thus the contradiction.
What you believe produces works. Belief in holiness, i.e. the Holy Spirit, is what is required. And, belief is an educational and mental health issue. Remember Daniel's stars.

BTW Revelations is pretty silly, to say the least. But, people take it very seriously.

Kelly of the Phoenix

In fact, there's also a kind of "double jeopardy"-like element to it as well. If you are rewarded (or, I assume, also punished) here on Earth, it doesn't count in the afterlife.